Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Football Manager 2017

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 04, 2016

Manage 2,500 football clubs and over 500,000 players in this updated simulation.

Giant Bomb FC in Football Manager

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I posted this on the GB subreddit the other day, and thought people on the main forum might get a kick out of it.

So the Football Manager beta came out this weekend, and much like last years game it has a Create a Club mode. So I thought I'd take the opportunity to do what every young man dreams of: create a Giant Bomb FC and take them from the bottom of the Football League to Champions League glory. Obviously.

Heres the club overview. As I'm playing in the English league I sadly can't play in San Francisco, so I've had to settle for the next best thing: Stevenage

THE TEAM (note that the player headshots are randomly generated.)

At the centre of defense, the always reliable Jeff Gerstmann. Strong in the tackle, cool under pressure and a natural leader, Jeff is very much an old school English centre half. That he was born in Petaluma is frankly irrelevant.

Partnering Jeff at the back is Brad Shoemaker. As displayed by his excellent Headmaster performance, Brad has a hell of a header on him, which should hopefully make him an absolute monster on corners. Years of Dota playing have also given Brad excellent teamwork skills.

At the base of the midfield, I decided to go with "Dirty" Dan Ryckert. I gave Dan very little professionalism and sportsmanship stats, meaning that he's probably good for 7-8 red cards a season. A wildcard

Going forward, my Italian playmaker, Vincenzo "Vinny" Caravella, is my main creative hub. I'm hoping for him to light up League 2 with his continental flair and pinpoint vision.

For a bit of bustle in midfield, I've got Drew Scanlon. An all action player, I'm hoping Drew can offer some much need dynamism in what is quite a slow side.

Jason Oestreicher is my outlet on the right wing. With some pretty good pace, he'll be looking to speed past his opponents and putting in a decent cross.

And finally, up top is Alex Navarro(sporting a sick mohawk.) With decent finishing and compusre stats, the Wolf looks set to be a real predator in the box.

So yeah, this is the dumb thing I'm doing in a video game this week.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the plan to get them to the top division? Curious to hear how you get on with this save and the game in general. I used to love the series but the games recently have got too complex for me.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OMGFather

Nice. I'm interested in how this goes.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Does this mean Glen Roeder is now an honorary Duder?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck! =)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard Brexit's going to ruin this unless they've all got British passports.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By armaan8014

Are the remaining players in the team random? Goalkeeper for instance?

davequirky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By davequirky

if your planning on taking them up to the top flight, you are probably going to be buying and selling a good few players, are you setting a hard rule that you wont sell the the GB crew?

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davequirky:Absolutely! Unless someone offers like £60 million for Dan or something crazy.

@shindig:Jeff gained British citizenship within the first game week, so I think I'm ok.

@armaan8014:When you "create a club", you're basically taking over a club that already exists so you get all their players. I've basically added Giant Bomb guys into the Stevenage squad.

@capt_ventris:Always :)

@johnlocke:Basically just to see as far as I can take them. Never done one of those saves where you take a League 2 team to the Champions League, so I'm kind using this as an opportunity to try that.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually keen to see the Brexit options in action. I do hope Sports Interactive plan on patching in an option to select the Brexit you want, rather than waiting on a dice roll. For reference here's the potential options.

1. Soft Brexit - The EU is all, "Sure, stay in the single market and we'll keep stuff as it is.

2. Brexit - "Sorry, lads. Here's some restrictions on player transfers from those outside the UK. Something, something, single market."

3 Hard Brexit - "Sorry, lads. Can't buy any talent outside of the UK. And the United Kingdom is abolished. Scotland are off with their oil to the EU and Ireland is unified."

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll keep an eye on this. I love a good FM story.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Brad with the 20 in heading. What shampoo does that man use? That hair is doing work!

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a mixed preseason which included a spirited 1-1 draw against Fulham, a disappointing loss to Ebbsfleet and a Ryckert red card, the season kicked off with an excellent 2-1 win over Crewe (Navarro 27 mins). After that we went on a 5 game winless streak, but have turned it around recently with 3 wins on the bounce, with Scanlon hitting form with two goal in two games. Currently we're sitting pretty in 6th place, just 3 points behind 1st.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha! This is great! Is Rory, the man behind the scenes the goalie? He could be like a little Nick Rimando!

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jpon87: Annoying I forgot to add Rorie in. I'd like to think he'd make an excellent data analyst for my under 23s.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
    thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres the club overview. As I'm playing in the English league I sadly can't play in San Francisco, so I've had to settle for the next best thing: Stevenage

As someone who is from Stevenage i approve of hosting the Giant Bomb team.

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick observation: the lack of pace in the Gerstmann/ Shoemaker centre half pairing is leaving me horribly exposed on the break. No where was this more apparent than a recent 4-4 draw against Wycombe where at least 3 of their goals came from balls over the top.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.