Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

My Summer Car

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Oct 24, 2016

Part life survival simulator, part meticulous car mechanic simulator, part '90s Finland simulator.

My Summer Car: A driving/car mechanic/Finland simulator

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

This game is not finished. This game is not even on early access and as far as I've been able to work out there's no way to play it just yet. Even so, I think that My Summer Car already deserves a thread.

Strong early contender for
    Strong early contender for "Best videogame website of 2015"

So what is My Summer Car? Well it's an open-ish-world simulator where you build your own summer car from scratch and drive it around the Finnish countryside. You need to order new parts for your car from a mail order catalog, and this includes everything from better speakers to new spark-plugs. If you put your car into a ditch you need to pull it out with your own tractor. The level of simulation honestly seems quite impressive, and is detailed in the creators' early videos.

What is My Summer Car really? Well it seems to nail Finnish self depreciating humor pretty. You can (and should) drink beer at all times, the radio only plays shit music and there's not much to see except for trees and fields. Even the commentary of the developer reflects the monotone English spoken by Finnish racing drivers. Oh and I didn't even mention the fantastic website.

It's obvious that the developer is trying to court "let's players" with a game like this, but it honestly seems to be growing into something far more than a quick hah-hah at the expense of us Finns. I've always been interested in the inner workings of cars, but haven't really had a chance to learn through experience being the city-boy I am. Hopefully someone from the Giant Bomb crew will have the time to check it out once it's finished. Until then, enjoy this demo by the games developer. If you just want to see the driving, skip to around 22 minutes.

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tommytoad

This looks incredible. Thanks for sharing!

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

oh wow i just watched most of the video.
    I don't think this game will be for me but you can tell the guy is really enjoying making this.
    I loved the part where he grabbed a beer right after the crash too XD

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This looks great!

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MalibuProfen

Perkele. That demo video was hellavetin en(ter)dearing. In many ways that prealpha already captures the mood of a delightfully sombre, lonely summer in rural Finland. The car engine building ish seems really ill to the point that I'm not sure I want to get sick with it but I'm hopeful that the infection is going to spread.

Will keep tabs on this.

FranticRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"This is not a fantasy game. This is realism, comrade."

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

That majestic Apina Datsun. Also best web design I have seen since -97.

ames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XD The future of driving video games is here.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By glots

Woops, my bad. Didn't notice someone made a new thread for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.