Nazism in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BaronKreight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BaronKreight

Some of you may know the space MMO EVE online. Currently there's an ongoing election process to tthe CSM. Members of the CSM are indirectly involved in the development of EVE.

I have never been interested in the CSM. I'm not a hardcore player. But accidentaly I saw a list of CSM candidates with theirs countires of origins. I noticed russian candidates and decided to investigate (I'm a russian myself). What I found out was terrifying.

One of the russian candidates turned out to be a n a z i. I checked eve russian forums. I checked his profile, his posts. He is not even hiding it. There are numerous antisemitist quotations in his profile on eve ru forums. He made a fascist speech on the Victory Day (9th of May in Russia).

If you don't believe me you can investigate yourself. I'm not trying to flame this particular candidate. It's just I was disgusted for this man so openly taking part in the game development process.

I raised this issue on EVE official forums several times. CCP denied any explanation, closed the threads and banned my character.

So I urge you to not let this go unnoticed. This is absolutely intolerable.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

His name?

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Weren't the fascists defeated on Victory Day? Why do you have nazis in russia?! I thought they killed, raped and burned during the war...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't get it. Is he trying to force his Nazi agenda into the game?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I did some research and yes, GoonWaffe is very much a Nazi propagandist organisation.  It seems CCP's response to this issue is only to delete posts where people protest.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

AND YOU DIDN'T THINK THAT EVE COULD GET ANY MORE CRAZY!

Seriously though, if CCP is simply locking all discussion of this topic (invoking Godwin I suppose) then I think the odds of me ever playing EVE just went into the negative digits.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing illegal about having an opinion and unless CCP decides to strike down on it - then they the freedom of speech on their side.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Village_Guy said:

Nothing illegal about having an opinion and unless CCP decides to strike down on it - then they the freedom of speech on their side.

Nazi propaganda actually can be illegal and CCP could be breaking the law by doing nothing to stop its existence.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Village_Guy said:

Nazi propaganda actually can be illegal and CCP could be breaking the law by doing nothing to stop its existence.

There's a difference between hate speech and 1st amendment protected speech, isn't there?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Oldirtybearon said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Village_Guy said:

There's a difference between hate speech and 1st amendment protected speech, isn't there?

Yes and there's also a different set of laws when it comes to doing trade in the EU.  Wolfenstein has had its Nazi propaganda symbols removed in some EU editions, as has BFBC2.
BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BlaineBlaine

Dude... GoonWaffe is the Something Awful clan.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By themangalist

But I thought EVE was for crazy role-play people. Like people who really really role-play. It's only natural people may role-play as fascists in a game like that. I think I said role-play in every sentence to emphasize that people do in fact... you know what I mean.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aspaceinvader

That's politics you.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

If we don't put a stop to this it could result in... Digital Genocide!

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mnzy

It's a joke...how can you not get this from looking at these pages for more than 2 seconds?

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ze_ro

boo hoo

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mageman

Maybe he is just roleplaying and running a nazi corporation in EVE or something ? I don't get this shit.@JoeyRavn said:

I don't get it. Is he trying to force his Nazi agenda into the game?

That's the point.... I think.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlaineBlaine
@mnzy said:
It's a joke...how can you not get this from looking at these pages for more than 2 seconds?
It's like I said. It's the Something Awful clan. 

You can explain something to someone else. What you can't do is understand it for them.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By habster3

There's this thing called trolling...

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedRavN

I have no problem with that as long as he is not promoting some kind of wierd agenda through the game. It is not a crime to have wierd political beliefs. I think the eve management had the right idea to just absolve all the disscussion and just keep that BS out of the game.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlaineBlaine

Y'know what? 

I'm flagging this as spam. If you google his posts, this is word for word a repost from other websites. 

$20 says Something Awful grieffed him and this is personal army territory.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp

@themangalist said:

But I thought EVE was for crazy role-play people. Like people who really really role-play. It's only natural people may role-play as fascists in a game like that. I think I said role-play in every sentence to emphasize that people do in fact... you know what I mean.

It'd be one thing if he tried to role-play a Space Fascist that was trying to take over the empire and what have you.

The problem is he straight-up uses swastikas and the actual Nazi party for the campaign....pretty cut and dry.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Rohok

A lot of Russians are incredibly racist and nationalistic. I play games like Men of War and World of Tanks which are Russian dominated games, and anytime the servers are mixed you get a lot of anti-semitism and a lot of anti-Americanism. Going so far as to troll and team kill during every match while spouting poorly written english hatred toward American players.

This comes as no surprise to me. Granted not all Russians are bad, but a lot of them are very, very aggressive toward foreigners. It's a lot worse over there than it is here in America.

That being said, he can believe in whatever he wants to believe. If he hates Jews, blacks, and anyone who isn't Russian, that's his God-given right. We may hate his views and think he's being incredible prejudice but to judge him and condemn him will make you just as bad. We had a lot of holocaust survivors come to my schools back in High School and speak, and they always said that they don't hate the Nazis for what they did, because if they did hate them, they'd be no better than the Nazis.

Best you all just forget about it and play your game, he's not affecting you by hating people different than him.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@BlaineBlaine said:

If you google his posts, this is word for word a repost from other websites.

Well as there is no source I'm going to assume someone is out on a vendetta to stir shit up against Eve, so I'm going to lock it. If the OP ever returns to this site and has proof that this shit actually took place that is in any way more credible than "Some guy (no name) who might work on Eve might be a Nazi?"