Neo Geo X vs AES vs MVS - Which one?

pheonix991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all. I'm looking for opinions on which Neo Geo to get. I've wanted one for many years and finally want to pull the trigger.

I have concerns with each platform and need someone else to tell me which way will allow me to waste my money most efficiently. The X gets me an emulator with a select library of games with no guarantee the whole neo geo library will ever be available to it. The AES has the whole library but some of the games that I actually want to play are too expensive to ever expect to own. The MVS will require me to build my own console. I'm capable and comfortable doing this.

I've heard of MVS multi carts and they seem to be reasonably priced enough and I will still get the real carts for the affordable games. The AES's multi cart is like $700+ which seems pretty crazy but the affordable games are just that, affordable. The X doesn't have the full library as said above.

So, which way should I go if I do end up pulling the trigger?

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have space, why not go for a full MVS cabinet?

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Viqor

@pheonix991: A good consolized MVS will run you $400-$500 but it's still way cheaper than the AES in the long run because most of the games are far less expensive. The AES really has no advantages apart from the console itself being cheaper. I can't speak to the Neo Geo X personally but I haven't heard great things about it, but it is a lot less money. I think there are also some Neo Geo games available on the PS3 if you just want to dip your toe into some of the more popular games on the system.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

AES is so expensive and I have heard that the X emulation isn't very good in addition to the limits on the library, so MVS is definitely the way to go. Read up on the multicarts before you get one, a lot of them have some weird bugs. I know that at least one notably has a bug that resets the console when performing a certain move in Mark of the Wolves, which would be supremely disappointing if that was one of the games you're interested in.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

If you've got the space and the expertise : MVS in an arcade cabinet (added option for 1, 2, or 4 slot if you can find them)

If you don't have the space and the expertise: Consolized MVS

If you've got money to burn: AES

If you really don't give a shit: X