?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

They've implemented a system allowing you to buy new unlocks for cash. 

A good system imo given that they've given 3 years of support for free.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

good i guess. so what does it do? lets you buy things with cash? pretty good for people that don't don't play the game a lot.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BombKareshi

My first reaction is to complain, but then this thing goes both ways. On the flip side, if I really want something, I know I can buy it with cash.

kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kratier

http://www.teamfortress.com/mannconomy/item_sets/

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mmmslash

I don't think people really understand the cash shop, at all.

Items that change the game in any way (alternate equipment and the like) still drop as they always have. If you do not wish to wait on luck, you can purchase it. They are not upgrades, but side-grades, so it won't break the game because some people have them sooner then others. Hats, which are completely cosmetic, will still drop for the most part. Hats produced by the community will be sold in the cash shop exclusively, with a portion of that money going back to their creators.

It's literally doing nothing to break your game, which has continuously given you major, free content for the last three years, unabated.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9  Edited By Symphony

Kinda funny how most reactions to this are of understanding and acceptance, while the exact same thing for EA Tiger Woods has always seemed to be a major point of contention. Maybe this is just an overall shift towards acceptance, or perhaps it's more accepted with this because it is a beloved game made by a beloved company. *shrugs* 

In any case, I've always been fine with cash shops as long as they do not break two rules -- 

#1) Do not RENT items. This trend seems to be fairly exclusive to Korean games at the moment like Gunbound where you pay real money to buy something for a limited amount of time. That is absolutely ridiculous and feels like a huge scam. Yes, a fool and their money are soon parted, caveat emptor, etc. but it's still a sleazy way to do business. 

#2) Do not reward people for not playing your game. That is to say do not make cash stores the only way to get an item that enhances ones skills / character / etc. Vanity items or different skins for weapons / mounts / whatever are fine, but don't offer some weapon or item that is better than what can be acquired in-game without having to fork over real cash. 

kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kratier

This isn't even a day old, and the cash shop isn't even fully functional, give it time to see the real reaction.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@kratier said:

" This isn't even a day old, and the cash shop isn't even fully functional, give it time to see the real reaction. "

Has the new Polycount items gone in yet? 

I just signed in and I can not access any of my items. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By crusader8463

I have been trying to log in to see what it was exactly, but every time I did it was off line. Reading this thread, and finding out that it's just them nickle and dimming the unlocks, just sowered that game for me big time. It cheapens the hours and hours people put into earning those unlocks, and devalues the whole point of the system.

First time in a long time that I have been disappointed by Valve. I remember being excited when they announced the wallet thing thinking it was going to be for gift cards, but it makes me sad to see that it was developed for this crap.