Avatar image for russianblue8181
russianblue8181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By russianblue8181

So some friends of mine recently got me a PS3 as a wedding gift, and I'm trying to figure out what games to pick up.  I can't afford 60 dollar games right now, so I'm looking for some great older games that have gone down in price just a hair.  Figure I'll pick up Killzone 3 and, if I can catch it on sale, Uncharted 2.  I'm not really into sports games, but I really enjoy RPGs, action games, and most shooters.  Not great at multiplayer shooters, however, so stuff with a great campaign is a necessity.  Heavy Rain will eventually be on my buy list as well. 

Also looking for recommendations for PSN titles.  I've heard Shatter is very good, as is Pixeljunk Shooter and Pixeljunk Eden. 

So, any recommendations for my PS3 starter kit?
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zero_

Uncharted 1 is pretty good and still holds up to today's standards. 
inFamous is a damn good open world game that's  really fun to play. 
Demon's Souls if you like RPG - but it's not a very traditional RPG, brutally difficult. 

Shatter is pretty cool, has some cool music. Shooter and Eden are good, but I much prefer Shooter. Fat Princess is a pretty good TF2-inspired CTF game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By penguindust

If you don't have it on another system already, take a look at Burnout Paradise.  The PS3 version is superior in this case to the 360 one.  Also, if you want a tactical strategy game, check out Valkyria Chronicles.  Finally, be sure to pick up InFamous.  It should be reasonably priced these days.  Also, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD and Everyday Shooter are good PSN games.

russianblue8181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By russianblue8181

I forgot all about Everyday Shooter!  I'll definitely pick that one up. 

Does anyone know if that one and Infamous have Trophy Support?  I know they put some in retroactively for Uncharted 1.  I'm not exactly a trophy/achievement whore, but I'd like to add a few to my name.
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

Infamous does have trophies. Not sure about Everyday Shooter. 

PJ Eden and Flower are my 2 favourite PSN games, but that is only because I have Warhawk and Burnout Paradise on disc. Warhawk is the game I've spent the most time with (800 hours) but it has no single player, so I don't think it's for you. I'd recommend Valkyria Chronicles. Get it before it becomes something that is hard to find, like Intelligent Cube. Motorstorm: Pacific Ridge was a fantastic 150 hours of my life spent. It's also the only game I've broken a controller over. That is only because you can rank down in online if you lose too much and it's easier to go down than come up.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ATrevelan

Infamous has trophies, and you can get a fair chunk of em by playing through the game twice, making different choices each time.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By c1337us

One older game you should look out for is Folklore nice game that one. You'll get a lot of play out of inFamous if you pick that one up. Metal Gear and the Uncharted's are also essentials for a PS3 starter kit. If your looking right back for PS3 exclusives you won't hate Heavenly Sword but it's not brilliant and has a freaking bitch of a final boss. Stay away from Lair and Haze.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shookems

Does anyone still play warhawk? I'm considering getting a PS3 soon and I'm trying to compile a list of games that I want

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@russianblue8181: Demon's Souls.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama

Demon's Souls. Buy it.

arkadysmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By arkadysmile

Try Folklore out. It was an interesting title.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By chronicsmoke

Metal Gear Solid 4 is an essential addition to anybodys PS3 library

russianblue8181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By russianblue8181

Unsure about Metal Gear Solid 4, just because I didn't play any of the other games in the franchise.  Never been big on stealth games, as I'm simply not that good at them. 

I'm really interested in Demon Souls, but if it's going to make me want to punch a hole in my television, I don't know if I need that much frustration in my life. 

Heard REALLY mixed things about Folklore; some people really dig it, but if I remember correctly, received really middling reviews. 

You guys are AWESOME.  I really appreciate your help here.
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToadRunner

check out ratchet!

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By XxBarretxX

Metal Gear Solid 4 does a good job of explaining what happened previously in the franchise. 
Also Valkria Chronicles is a high reccomendation along with Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Folklore received middling reviews but imo it warranted the $30, it's truly a unique game unlike any other I have played, I loved the overall 
style of the game. Also if your into RPG's give Eternal Sonata a try.
I just got inFamous and I can easily say everyone with a PS3 should play that game, great open sandbox game that progresses better then any sandbox game has (at least that I have played) as your not shoved in a lot of uneccessary things at one time. 

mosc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mosc

Honestly the only things I use my PS3 for are guitar hero type games, PS2 games (I got a release 60gb model), and short playthroughs of gran tourismo 4 prologue. After about 5 minutes of prologue though I just get really really angry I spent $40 on what is really a demo and they still haven't made the damn game yet. I had fun with FF13 and Assassin's Creed too. I hear some of the shooters are good but I can't shoot things without a mouse. Yes, I'm old. Thank you for reminding me.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Aus_azn

MGS4, Uncharted, Resistance FALL OF MAN (1), GT5: Prologue