Super Mario 64 120 Star Speed Run (1:48:06 World Record)

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#1  Edited By citizenkane

I have always had mixed feelings about speed runs. While they are cool to watch with amazement at the speed and precision require to accomplishment such a feat, I also have to wonder how many other great games these people miss out on all because they want that perfect time. Speeding through a game kind of defeats the purpose. How can you enjoy a video game when all you are aiming for is to get through it as fast as possible? It would be like fast forwarding through The Godfather or speed reading The Divine Comedy. It just makes hardly any sense at all.

Well, enough with my mini rant about speed runs. What are your opinions on them?

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hockeymask27

I like them when they are not tool assisted. Just because I feel its the gamer testing himself. When its tool assisted it's still cool and all but I feel then they are just doing something half assed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

A speed run is cool, so long as it isn't tool-assisted. Then you're just cheating.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
@CitizenKane said:

How can you enjoy a video game when all you are aiming for is to get through it as fast as possible? It would be like fast forwarding through The Godfather or speed reading The Divine Comedy. It just makes hardly any sense at all.

Well, enough with my mini rant about speed runs. What are your opinions on them?

Well they probably already played through the game normally many times.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Aus_azn
@Hailinel said:

A speed run is cool, so long as it isn't tool-assisted. Then you're just cheating.

I actually approve of TASing. I see TAS runs as a benchmark that is an experimental means of determining the least possible time that a game can be completed in, giving the real speedrunners a goal to gun for. 

Sure, it's "skilless" in the fact that people have infinite restarts (and many TAS runs run into 100k+ restarts), but it still takes time and skill to come up with the route in the first place.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says
@CitizenKane: If it's not tool assisted, I think the "runner" has thoroughly enjoyed the game enough already to know where all 120 starts are. I used to try to speed run games when I ran out of things to do with them and had played them over and over and over again.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

That was pretty cool. "Cheating", lolz. Speed runs aren't an official sport, kids.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Shady

I could level the same argument to people who play COD/WoW/SF IV/Whatever more or less exclusively for your first point. The second one makes no sense since your first statement would contradict it. In any case, your topic title is confusing since if this was going to be a general speed run thread you might as well say it in the title.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By m0rdr3d

I'm not even sure that's a human being playing in that video!  That's terrifying! lol 
I'm sure speedrunners like this have enjoyed their game on levels none of us will ever know.  And I doubt they play through speedily the first go.  Anyways, they might say about us, "they only play a game once or twice, how can they truly enjoy/appreciate them like that."
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I disagree with your rant against speed runs. A runner obviously wants to perfect his craft. That'd be like saying people aren't allowed to play multiplayer games repeatedly to get better at them, because they could be playing other games instead.

Cookiesars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cookiesars

if your talking about Siglimic, its 1 49 06, and he does this all the time, streams on http://www.justin.tv/siglemic#/w/1540854992

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By cookiemonster

Props to the guys who are skilled enough to do these kind of things, but I'd never do them.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

it's cool. i'm watching this. i kind of want to do a speed run for a game but don't know what kind.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By AuthenticM

I did a speed run on Mega Man X several years ago. I uploaded the videos on GameSpot; I don't know if they're still there.

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By intoblivion

bet he was cursing during the intro

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Vexxan

Speed-runners of this caliber are mental.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By elyk247

This guy deserves an award, like a t-shirt or trophy or at least a card from Nintendo. I've been playing this game since I was 5, and I only got 102 stars in all of that time.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

Most speedrunners have beaten the games they speedrun normally their first time playing, its just if they feel like its a game they can speedrun well then they plan out a run and spend a long time playing the game to make the run as perfect as possible.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Hailinel said:

TAS's are meant for enjoyment and for seeing a game pushed to its absolute limits with pulling off tricks that are very hard or impossible to pull of in real time.....it is not cheating because it is a completely separate category from real time speedrunning. 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

I never saw the point in this either.

FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FEnergyLegs
@Hailinel said:

I never understood people who had this stance, I'm assuming its probably ignorance but I'm not entirely sure. A tool-assisted speedrun isn't something you can shit out in an hour and suddenly have some insane humanly impossible world record. Tool-assisted runs are almost always done by the very same people who play through a normal speedrun, and it not only does it still take an amazing amount of skill and talent to make a good TAS, but it also helps enhance the meta game for a non tool-assisted run. Tool-assited runs are a lot about optimization, which is why many will take tens of thousands of re-records, with some–like Majora's Mask– taking hundreds of thousands of re-records in order to obtain an optimized run. 

Not only that but the pure ridiculousness of many Tool-assisted runs make them very entertaining.
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mattbosten

I don't see the point in speed runs but I guess this is the 'new' high score for some so they can say they're the best. For me personally, I like to take my time with games rather than forcing myself into a mind set where if I jump one second too early or too late that run is over and I need to start again. For me that would remove most of the enjoyment of playing a game but I guess some people have to find new ways to challenge themselves.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

I don't agree, because to get a really good speed run you must know where pretty much every thing is and the quickest route. So they would have needed to play through the game multiple times normally, nobody buys Super Mario 64 for the first time and says "Right I'm going to try and beat the world record on a game I have never played before!" Anyway I quite like speed runs, I've always wanted to do one on Banjo-Kazooie but I'm still like way over the fastest time.

Jigabar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jigabar

You may want to change that the world record just changed big time Siglemic took it in 1:46:21 and getting faster he's doing it for the whole month of august 2012 for 12 hours a day on twitch.tv I saw it with my own eyes and he is awesome

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John1912

@CitizenKane said:

I have always had mixed feelings about speed runs. While they are cool to watch with amazement at the speed and precision require to accomplishment such a feat, I also have to wonder how many other great games these people miss out on all because they want that perfect time. Speeding through a game kind of defeats the purpose. How can you enjoy a video game when all you are aiming for is to get through it as fast as possible? It would be like fast forwarding through The Godfather or speed reading The Divine Comedy. It just makes hardly any sense at all.

I guess I dont understand the confusion over speed runs or disliking them. Its just a goal to do to keep you interested enough in playing the game for the 9000th time. Which apparently the guy in the video prob did, You play the game that many times you gotta do something new to keep the game interesting,

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

@CitizenKane said:

Speeding through a game kind of defeats the purpose.

Not at all. A game's purpose is fun. If someone derives enjoyment out of a speed run, then the purpose is wholly served.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Hunter5024

Mannn I just beat Mario 64 and it took me like 12 hours. I hate this guy.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shaka999

I love speedruns, both TAS & regular. Regular is great for what it is, and TASes are great since it's the game (ideally) in its most efficient state. Or, in the case of the video above, it's kinda entertaining to watch.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By kindgineer

I think someone just beat this world record about a day or two ago. 1:47:23 I believe :D

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BrockNRolla

It seems crazy to me that...

1.) People spend time doing these, and

2.) People care enough to keep track.

I guess it's a continuation of the days when score mattered, but that holds no interest to me either.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Godak

I have something of a love/hate relationship with Speed Runs.

I love the display of skill that has clearly been developed over a stupid, dumb, EXCESSIVE amount of time. That's something that I think video games have over movies, books, music, etc. You can get good at them. Real good. I'm not particularly better at listening to music than anyone else on this planet. Except, like, Helen Keller. Because she's dead.

...Aaaaaand I hate how they make me feel inadequate in all of the ways. EVERY. LAST. ONE. My e-peen just disappears. I like my e-peen! It's very supple.