Tech question: Dual Monitors

KaramonD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KaramonD

Does anyone have any suggestions or know if this even is possible? I have a GeForce 460 gtx graphics card currently displaying on an LCD tv. I bought a 1 in 2 out hdmi splitter so I could run a dual monitor set up (both hdmi, NOT 1 hdmi and 1 VGA, I know that is possible). My drivers are up to date. When I go to change display settings, dual monitor options it doesn't recognize the second monitor. It simply treats it as a duplicate screen and displays the exact same thing. Is it possible to split the one feed to two monitors in this fashion?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By psylah

An HDMI splitter will only show the same output on two different displays. It looks like you have two DVI outputs and 1 HDMI output on that card, and displays will only be detected by that card if they are plugged directly into it. I'd suggest a DVI male to HDMI female adapter for one of the extra DVI ports. Get one cheap on Monoprice.com .

JegHarEnHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JegHarEnHat

So your card has 1 HMDI out, and you bought a splitter that "splits" the signal in two? If that's the case, then you simply can't do what you intend, unless you want the same output on both monitors.

KaramonD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaramonD

@psylah thank you @jegharenhat thank you

lexpar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By lexpar

Yup, separate monitors require separate inputs (or outputs, in this case). I don't think HDMI is really any better than DVI, unless blu-rays are really so fantastic they require fiber optics. I seem to remember DVI being HDCP certified anyway. What I'm saying is, don't fret too much if you can't get only HDMI out, since DVI is pretty much just as good. I think.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By h0lgr

DVI is going to display the same as HDMI, just without sound. Sometimes, HDMI produces a small amount of input lag, but not if you're running monitors.

Just use one DVI port and one HDMI port.