Unopened PS4 has an existing profile?

DanVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys, i just bought myself a PS4 today and when i booted it up for the first time it already has an existing profile on it with the name Quin lemke.... is this normal? should i return it and ask for another?

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

.....are there any games tied to that account?

DanVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jothel: idk, I just boxed it back up because it seemed odd. When I opened it the console had finger prints on it and there was no first time boot up sequence that I was expecting. But i've never owned a Playstation 3 or 4 so I really didn't know what to expect. I bought it new from Best Buy

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@danvan said:

@jothel: idk, I just boxed it back up because it seemed odd. When I opened it the console had finger prints on it and there was no first time boot up sequence that I was expecting. But i've never owned a Playstation 3 or 4 so I really didn't know what to expect. I bought it new from Best Buy

You should hook it up and check it out and see if you got some crazy developer PS4 that was never supposed to go into circulation, and whether or not it has any games attached to it. If not just return it an get another, because there definitely is a start up set up procedure, and there shouldn't be an existing profile on it.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigmess

I worked at an electronics store awhile back and I recommend returning that. It was probably a return from someone who opened it and used it. Best Buy probably taped it back up and sold it as new.

I'd keep the profile and stuff on it to rub it in their noses. If they give you shit, give it right back. As a former customer service representative and assistant manager, I know that an angry customer typically gets their shit resolved faster.

Unless they're super cool about it and offer to replace it, raise helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!11!!!

DanVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: even if it has games attached to it, wouldn't the original owner still have his psn login? how many playstations can one user have on at the same time?

DanVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess: oh i'm going to get a new one no doubt, do you think it would be out of the question to have them open the new one there and hook it up in store just to make sure its good?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@danvan said:

@liquidprince: even if it has games attached to it, wouldn't the original owner still have his psn login? how many playstations can one user have on at the same time?

I meant it more as a curiosity since it could be one of those crazy developer PS4's.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danvan: I don't know that they'd be willing to do that. Plus, they could easily take your current PS4, erase the profile, hand it back to you in the box without you ever having seen the first time boot-up animation and you'd be none the wiser. I don't know how shady Best Buys are but that is totally something that I could see happening at the shitty retail store I worked at.

I'd just take the new one home sealed up. Maybe take a picture of the serial number of your current one and reference that to the new one you get before you drive away. The boxes should have one too.

That may just be paranoia but you never know with these things. Retail stores make almost nothing on new game consoles so they could be less than thrilled with helping with your situation.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By burgavo

Wait, doesn't that thing have all the adhesive plastic wrap around it when you first unbox it? The 20th aniversary ps4 they unboxed on a mailbag video a while back sure did (I don't know for sure bought myself one for christmas but haven't opened it yet) So if that is missing, there are figerprints all over it and it has an existing profile set up on it it's pretty obvious it's been used before and either returned by another customer or it's been a demo model in-store.

Either way I would definately exchange it for an actual NEW SYSTEM, you didn't pay to get a second hand product did you?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By 71Ranchero
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

Yah rrturn it and if they're not cool about it start asking about their names, location code and demand the number for the district manager etc. Even if they're in the wrong they'll back down cause of the shit storm they'll receive from their DM for poor customer relations.

I remember when corporate forced us to write an apology to this old lady that was clearly in the wrong but she raised such a ruckus that they naturally back right off.

DanVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@71ranchero: Yes I saw this too, He lives in MN and I live in WI on the border so its not too out of the question that an opened ps4 got back in circulation from my area

DanVan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burgavo: He had placed it back in most of the plastic and hadn't opened the pamphlet package, it all looked legit except for the clear plastic used to wrap the playstation was all wrinkled. Also When I saw the fingerprints I just assumed it was from a factory worker. I'm def goona return it, its just too bad that all business are closed on xmas lol