Update on Bioshock: The Movie

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

The interview below is from a recent article on Aintitcoolnews.com regarding the Bioshock movie that's been put on hold for some obvious reasons mentioned between a staffer for the site and the new director Jan Carlos Fresnadillo. The article goes on to discuss a reboot or sequel to Highlander, for those who would be interested.

Long story, short: Status isn't really new, but some of the movie's details are. The film is on hold due to the makers wanting it to be given a R rating to portray the events within Rapture, but the budget is too high for that risk. The article also discusses how they want to build Rapture for the film as one giant set and talks about the challenge of incorporating the "Would you kindly?" aspect of the game. Interesting stuff.

Personally, I feel that the idea of a Bioshock movie is neat, but unnecessary. I've experienced Rapture in the best possible way already: three times in Bioshock 1, twice in Bioshock 2, and all without Hollywood's influence.

Here is the interview:

Quint: I would be remiss in not bringing up Bioshock, because I’m kind of obsessed with that game.

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo: Yeah, me too. You know, there’s a problem with the video game… well, it’s not a problem. The thing is, Bioshock is super complicated, it is a very high budget movie. Obviously, the studio doesn’t want to make a big budget movie with an R (rating). And it has to be an R.

Quint: Yeah, if you’re going to do the game justice you need to keep that rating.

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo: So, that’s the problem, I think, that the video game and the studio are trying to make an agreement about.

Quint: Would you still be involved if they do come to an agreement?

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo: I don’t know, to be honest. It was a very interesting experience to work with Gore Verbinski developing the story a bit and to pitch with the video game. I learned a lot about Hollywood and this kind of project, but I don’t know.

Quint: I did a Rango office visit and I was talking to Gore’s producer…

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo: Jonathan.

Quint: Right. He was telling me what Gore’s vision was for the movie, that he wanted to build Rapture from the ground up as a set. I was drooling as he was talking to me about it, I was drooling. To see Rapture realized as a giant set would be incredible. You’d need something real for the actors to walk around in to ground the reality. It just wouldn’t work if it was people walking around in a green room. Were you leaning more towards the real set builds as well?

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo: Yeah, me too, but I would say… keeping in mind that the cost was one of the problems I would recommend to combine realism with good and special CGI. The most important thing is to make it feel like a real thing and I think you could do that with a good DP and a very real concept of the camera.

That was something I proposed from the beginning, (for it) to work as an experience, you know? From the very beginning to the very end tracking the point of view of the hero of the story, going with him.

Quint: Which in and of itself provides a challenge because you’re adapting a video game. You’re translating from a medium where each and every audience member is the main character in the story. The story in Bioshock is actually pretty good, I love the twists “would you kindly,” etc. But there’s not really an identifiable lead because it’s you!

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo: Right. You have to create a personality and the proper character to track that. But, you know, it’s a project that is on hold right now, so I’m not paying too much attention to that. Right now I’m so keen (for) another project, which could be my next movie, which is Highlander.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

I really want this movie to happen, and in the right hands it could be amazing, I think the stroy of Bioshock could fit perfectly into a movie

But if it doesn't have that R rating it's gonna be crap regardless, the swearing and violence is a vital part of the Bioshock world

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By NickLott

Studios don't make expensive R-rated films anymore. Everything needs to be PG-13 to maximize profitability. If Prometheus ends up being PG-13, it really is over.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

A Bioshock movie could work if it does a story sort of like the Bioshock 2 MP story.

Its during the 'civil war' where Rapture first goes to shit and Andrew Ryan is only briefly seen through like monitors and such.

The movie itself could be about a family as they live their lives when everything is normal, and then they run through Rapture when all hell breaks loose. The daughter of the family has been worked on by Suchong unbeknownst to the rest of the family. After fighting people who turn more and more into fucked up creatures (splicers) and running for their lives as a Big Daddy starts chasing them down (and totally slaying anyone that gets in the way) they finally get to escape pods, and the movie ends with the Big Daddy finally finding his Little Sister (the daughter) and then slaughters the family in a matter of seconds. Roll credits.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zeforgotten
@SomeDeliCook said:

A Bioshock movie could work if it does a story sort of like the Bioshock 2 MP story.

Its during the 'civil war' where Rapture first goes to shit and Andrew Ryan is only briefly seen through like monitors and such.

The movie itself could be about a family as they live their lives when everything is normal, and then they run through Rapture when all hell breaks loose. The daughter of the family has been worked on by Suchong unbeknownst to the rest of the family. After fighting people who turn more and more into fucked up creatures (splicers) and running for their lives as a Big Daddy starts chasing them down (and totally slaying anyone that gets in the way) they finally get to escape pods, and the movie ends with the Big Daddy finally finding his Little Sister (the daughter) and then slaughters the family in a matter of seconds. Roll credits.

That would totally ruin how the Big Daddy works though. 
Like 100% destroy what a Big Daddy is in the game, I wouldn't want that to happen. 
SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@ZeForgotten said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

That would totally ruin how the Big Daddy works though. Like 100% destroy what a Big Daddy is in the game, I wouldn't want that to happen.

Protecting his little sister?

*edit* I'll admit though, I wrote that all just from the first thing that would pop into my head. I'd just like a Bioshock movie purely to see how Rapture would look and the possibilities of action scenes.