#1 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -
  1. I bought the n64 for OoT and Majoras mask (well my mom did for me)
  2. I bought the gamecube for Windwaker...(well... my grandma did)
  3. I bought the Wii to play Twilight Princess like I had a real sword (Ah-haaa! I bought this with my money! ... that I got for doing chores around the house)

I pretty much played skyward sword on the wii and ... it was alright. (And this is coming from someone who LOVED twilight princess)

So what is likely going to get me to buy the Wii U? A new Zelda game... hopefully that looks a little more gritty.

But I have been wondering, why didn't Nintendo save Skyward sword for the Wii U release? Or at least release a Wii U version of that thing?

HD Zelda for my Wii U?!? It can't be that hard if I can already get it to run in 1080p on my PC...

If they wanted to move more consoles this is what they should have done. I would have purchased it most likely just for that. Now I am just going to wait it out..

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

Was Twilight Princess not dark and gritty enough for you?

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game. Since TP for GC was going to release right around the time the Wii came out, they ported it to the Wii. Skyward Sword is a Wii game, but didn't release around the time the Wii U came out, so they didn't make a port of it. That's my logical guess. There will be a Zelda game for Wii U at some point in time. When that is, no one knows.

#4 Edited by Willin (1280 posts) -

The "gimmick" of Skyward Sword is the one-to-one sword fighting. You cannot do that with the Wii U Pad and launching a Zelda game that doesn't use the Wii U Pad would be stupid.

#5 Edited by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Was Twilight Princess not dark and gritty enough for you?

No. edit: Well the art style was great imo. It just needed some adult themes like MM had.

Majoras mask was excellent though.

@Willin: The Wii U uses wii motes also. All I am asking for is an HD version for the Wii U close to release (not 5 months from now). They can release it on both the Wii and the Wii U just like they did with twilight princess.

#6 Edited by MAGZine (437 posts) -

Wii U looks like it's going to have a similar art style to SS, and will be released in 2014, based on historical zelda releases (modern times grants one every 3/4 years or so) and notes i've seen on the internet.

a new zelda game came out just a year ago... it's not call of duty.

#7 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

@DG991: I know it uses Wiimotes but launching a Zelda game without using the Pad is suicide. The whole point of the Wii U launch lineup us to show off the controller. If you had Skyward Sword as a launch title instead of a Wii title and it didn't use the Wii U Pad that would just be a biggest middle finger to the consumer. "Hey, bought are new console and the latest Zelda titie? Wanna see what the new controller can do? TOO BAD! You're stuck with a Wiimote you might not even own."

#8 Posted by BreakfastKing (117 posts) -

My guess is they wanted to actually sell copies of Skyward Sword. Not being a downer, but for all the production dollars (or yen, or pokemon money, or whatever) put into that game, they need to move large numbers of it to turn a profit. Sure, "system sellers" are important at the launch of a new console but early adopters don't need a brand new zelda game to convince them to buy a Wii U, they're usually content with simpler stuff and the promise of more games in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if they do an HD version of skyward sword, though, since the PC screenshots that were floating around for that game were absolutely beautiful.

#9 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

@DG991 said:

But I have been wondering, why didn't Nintendo save Skyward sword for the Wii U release?

because it uses motion controls? It seems to be the premiere motion control game, actually. Show some respect! xD

#10 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Skyward sword 's reason for existing is to justify the Wii mote. Porting it over for the Wii U would be a mistake as people would need the Wii mote in order for them to play the game as intended. So no I hope they don't ever port it.

#11 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

I have no doubt that there will be a new Legend of Zelda game for the Wii U.

Remember the tech demo for the Wii U?

#12 Posted by MAGZine (437 posts) -
#13 Posted by Sammo21 (3276 posts) -

Twilight Princess was gritty enough? The last 30 minutes of that game are fairly dark, for a Zelda game. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything ore gritty than that.

Personally I'd love a full blown sequel to Wind Waker and an HD version of Link to the Past.

#14 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@MAGZine: I don't doubt that, I was just stating that there was already an idea set in motion.

Thanks for the article.

#15 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

Releasing Twilight Princess on both the Gamecube and Wii was a nice thing to do. I think they should have done it with Skyward sword and released an HD version on the Wii U. Even if it would mean that the gamepad would not be used for this particular game... I don't really see a problem with that. It would have got a day one purchase from me most likely.

And I know there will be a HD zelda eventually (no shit), I'm just saying what is a good reason for not releasing additional HD skyward sword on Wii U at launch... the best thing I heard so far was it doesn't really fit the console story of "HEY USE THIS GAMEPAD WITH A SCREEN".

#16 Posted by Hungry (165 posts) -

@DG991 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Was Twilight Princess not dark and gritty enough for you?

No. edit: Well the art style was great imo. It just needed some adult themes like MM had.

Majoras mask was excellent though.

@Willin: The Wii U uses wii motes also. All I am asking for is an HD version for the Wii U close to release (not 5 months from now). They can release it on both the Wii and the Wii U just like they did with twilight princess.

I am not sure if Skyward Sword needed to have grimdark themes, but it does have adult themes. Remember the demon who lived under Skyloft and how he just wanted to be accepted among the people he lived with? Did you notice how with each new dungeon you entered Link hesitated less and less to climb down the stairs? Link also stopped following in Zelda's footsteps and became more independent on achieving his goals (and thus some of the goals became less linear and more about finding everything yourself, even if it was obvious the Song of the Hero stuff was rushed due to time limitations). I also think that the antagonists have been more adult (even if it is in a kind of silly, overdoing-it way) than in previous Zelda games.

That being said, I don't think Skyward Sword is nearly as good as Majora's Mask. But it definitely has adult themes.

#17 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

Making something "dark and gritty" isn't the solution to making an aging franchise better. There are plenty of examples of where this failed (Prince of Persia Warrior Within). There are plenty of games that retain lots of color and an upbeat atmosphere that are great games. Making a series darker is probably the least creative way to pump life back into it.

#18 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@Hungry said:

@DG991 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Was Twilight Princess not dark and gritty enough for you?

No. edit: Well the art style was great imo. It just needed some adult themes like MM had.

Majoras mask was excellent though.

@Willin: The Wii U uses wii motes also. All I am asking for is an HD version for the Wii U close to release (not 5 months from now). They can release it on both the Wii and the Wii U just like they did with twilight princess.

I am not sure if Skyward Sword needed to have grimdark themes, but it does have adult themes. Remember the demon who lived under Skyloft and how he just wanted to be accepted among the people he lived with? Did you notice how with each new dungeon you entered Link hesitated less and less to climb down the stairs? Link also stopped following in Zelda's footsteps and became more independent on achieving his goals (and thus some of the goals became less linear and more about finding everything yourself, even if it was obvious the Song of the Hero stuff was rushed due to time limitations). I also think that the antagonists have been more adult (even if it is in a kind of silly, overdoing-it way) than in previous Zelda games.

That being said, I don't think Skyward Sword is nearly as good as Majora's Mask. But it definitely has adult themes.

@wewantsthering said:

Making something "dark and gritty" isn't the solution to making an aging franchise better. There are plenty of examples of where this failed (Prince of Persia Warrior Within). There are plenty of games that retain lots of color and an upbeat atmosphere that are great games. Making a series darker is probably the least creative way to pump life back into it.

I don't really want a remake of Majora's Mask... but something in the same vein would be great.

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -
@DG991: I've never played Majora's Mask... they've got half the work done already from remaking Ocarina for 3DS, I would love to play it there. I bought a physical copy, only to find that my N64 no longer works. I should replace that thing...
#20 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@TooWalrus: There is a petition going around to get an HD upped Majoras Mask on the Wii U after someone made a fake trailer.

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -
@DG991: That literally means nothing.
#22 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@TooWalrus: liteRALLY?

#23 Posted by SSully (4186 posts) -

@DG991: If I had a dollar for every failed internet video game petition, I would be a millionaire.

#24 Posted by xyzygy (9992 posts) -

I'm not liking all this hate on Skyward Sword :( I thought it was the best Zelda since LttP. Still do.

Just give it time, no sense rushing a Zelda game. They're almost always perfect, IMO, and their waits are always justified.

#25 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

@SSully: The petition is not important, I shouldn't have even mentioned it because of the negativity around them. But there is a lot of interest in a Majora's Mask HD for the Wii U and I expect one to pop up eventually.

Skyward Sword was a good game, but I personally enjoyed twilight princess, MM, and OoT more. I'm not a huge fan of Windwaker personally, but I do acknowledge that it was a good game.

#26 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

I will straight up buy a Wii U if they release an HD Zelda that doesn't use hokey-ass motion controls and doesn't have unskippable, 2nd grade reading level dialogue with a sidekick that reminds you EVERY THREE SECONDS of what you should be doing.

That's a lot of requirements, but I think it's about time Nintendo followed them.