Is Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater the best James Bond game?

HeyItsDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm honestly asking. I sort of feel like (except for the end boss fight) it might be the closest representation of a Bond movie translated to a video game. Thoughts?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Pretty much, the good Bond games are FPS games that share little with Bond, the ones that actually try to replicate Bond fall way short of MGS3.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@luke62 said:

I never got around to playing it, but I think James Bond: Everything or Nothing was really well received as both a game and a James Bond property. It focused on a new story (with Pierce Brosnan) made specifically for the game and so managed to avoid a lot of the issues that other Bond games had.

Several of the Bond games have been good to great. Everything or Nothing was indeed a fun game. I remember having tons of fun using the spiders. N64 Goldeneye was freaking awesome, of course. The World Is Not Enough was enjoyable as well. The campaigns in Nightfire and Agent Under Fire were pretty weak for the most part, but the multiplayer was fun in both. I thought the Wii Goldeneye reboot was pretty good for what it was. I never played From Russia With Love, Rogue Agent, Quantum of Solace, Tomorrow Never Dies, Blood Stone, or 007 Legends. The franchise has had its hits and misses for sure, but it has had enough good moments to where suggesting another franchise has done Bond better is a real stretch, IMO. Especially when one of the Bond games is considered among the greatest games in history.

geardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The opening was certainly bond inspired, and you can say that metal gear in general is influenced by bond somewhat, but I didn't find myself thinking much about it while playing the game.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found myself thinking of kind of a Bond and Tom Clancy crossover while playing them. More on the Clancy side for MGS1 though.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

The only thing James Bond about that game was the intro song and the few Bond references that Major Zero makes.

If there are any games that are James Bond or 60's spy influenced, it would be NOLF and Team Fortress 2, not Metal Gear.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ezekiel

007 is mystery in urban locations. Adventure games are more 007 than MGS3.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nightfire was pretty fun. Dat GoldSrc Engine yo!

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3 is the best Bond game where you don't play as Bond, you play as the girl Bond seduces.

EVA is Bond. THINK ABOUT IT.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's the best Metal Gear game!

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't think i'm going out on a limb here, but it doesn't remind me that much of james bond, except for the one song

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I think it "being a Bond game" is maybe stretching the importance of the sixties spy movie stuff.

While the game has Bondish influences it's so, so intensely a METAL GEAR SOLID TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION game those influences are, like all the others in the game, mostly in the background.

myzzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

short answer: yes.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Nasar7

What? There is absolutely no similarity between James Bond and MGS3 aside from both characters being spies during the cold war. Even so, Snake's brand of spying is more of the spec-ops variety, like a one-man Navy Seal team.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I liked Bloodstone a bunch. Not the best shooter, but gets its Bond-yness right. Car chases, gunfights, stealthing around etc. That's the best Bond game I have played. It's not as good as MGS3, but it's a much better Bond game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

no

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Don't understand the JB comparisons MGS 3 gets.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whilst I want to say yes, as a kid I really really enjoyed Tomorrow Never Dies on the Playstation and I am pretty sure that game was fairly Bondy. I also enjoyed Agent Under Fire on the PS2, but that game never felt very Bondy.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's the best game of all time, so yes.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bribo

We will never get a true James Bond game unless somebody works out how to include a suaveness meter and a baccarat mini-game.