Coolness concerning the personality of the orcs in this game

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'll admit, I've been a big LoTR fan ever since I read the series for the first time when I was 11. However, rarely in video games have I actually found LoTR games to be good. Most of what I liked were random old 80's and 90's PC games that are kind of fun to look back to, but I think once the films came out and LoTR was a big thing for the first time in half a century, suddenly there were a bunch of shitty games (Two Towers on GC was awesome though; my first GC game).

One aspect of the original Hobbit and LoTR books that you can kind of see in the movies, but not nearly to the extent of the books, is how the orcs aren't the mindless grunts you'd expect, out of like Warcraft 1 or something. They have their own personalities, their own quirks, and their own power struggles. I think that this new game Shadow of Mordor really makes orcs as cool characters and villains come to life in a way that no other game has done so far (at least in terms of LoTR orcs; I'm not an expert on say Warhammer or anything).

Any thoughts?

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds cool, pumped to play this game

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If any other game with orcs as enemies would have the Nemesis system in it, then you could probably try to do some proper comparing...

That said, handful of orcs from Warcraft 3 and onwards will always have a special place in my heart. Mostly for being memorable characters, though, not so much to do with the gameplay. Gameplay wise, I adore those orcs from Warhammer 40K - Space Marine. Dumb as heck, but they've got more personality than your average green grunt. Even if it's just shouting "SPHEESH MAHREEN!"

Now some orcs!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

LotR orcs have personalities, but they're still pretty one-note. Cruel, violent, evil, then varying degrees of brave/cowardly, strong/weak, clever/stupid. Orcs in WC from 3 onward are incredibly varied, from the violent and bloodthirsty minions of Mannoroth to the stubborn and proud Grom to the noble and wise Thrall.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

LotR orcs have personalities, but they're still pretty one-note. Cruel, violent, evil, then varying degrees of brave/cowardly, strong/weak, clever/stupid. Orcs in WC from 3 onward are incredibly varied, from the violent and bloodthirsty minions of Mannoroth to the stubborn and proud Grom to the noble and wise Thrall.

Pretty much this. Ratbag's character (so far) is strange to see in Middle-earth.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the orc dialogue in the quick look seem to come from the same british guy voice actor

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi
@vahleticar said:

All the orc dialogue in the quick look seem to come from the same british guy voice actor

There's at least 6 or 7 Orc actors from the short time I've played the game. They just sound similar.

The Nemesis system is super cool but you will definitely notice overlap if you watch other people play the game as well. If they do a sequel or implement this system in another game they need to have more possible attributes.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Something that I think the Orcs benefit from, other than their personalities, is their appearance. For example I love it in Shadow of the Colossus where there is a clear style guide to the way the colossi look. Its like the designers said "hey, all colossi have this green/blue fur, some scaly or rocky armour and piercing blue eyes" but within those specific design confines the colossi may look like a 100 foot tall gorilla, or a snake, or an bird with huge wings. It has consistency yet also variety.

Shadow of Mordor also nails this I think. Its more limited because all the Orc/Uruk chiefs are all bipedal (at least those that I have come across) but they all show their personalities, strengths and weaknesses just by the way they look, or walk and animate. No mean feat to make that many characters with any distinction. Its not perfect, some still blur into one and look similar but still really great character design work from the devs.

Other examples of the kind of thing I am talking about and fascinate over: Dragons from How to Train Your Dragon and Strandbeests.