What weapon will you main for Monster Hunter Generations?

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By rempresent

Poll What weapon will you main for Monster Hunter Generations? (170 votes)

Great Sword 8%
Long Sword 12%
Sword and Shield 8%
Dual Blades 11%
Hammer 5%
Hunting Horns 6%
Lance 5%
Gunlance 3%
Switch Axe 11%
Charge Blade 13%
Insect Glaive 8%
Light Bowgun 1%
Heavy Bowgun 2%
Bow 4%

I have always been a hammer user, it is super satisfying to knock parts off monsters and help the group get a quick stun on a monster in the middle of a hunt. In Generations, I am going to stick with the hunting horn. The changes they have made with encores and picking new hunting styles will help me get over the sluggish, ineffective feel that the hunting horn has felt like in the past. Totally excited for it even know that isn't a huge change from hammer.

• 
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I will forever be a Lancer. Love that gameplay too much, and can't wait to check out the Arts for it.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

a kitten

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I played a bit of everything in 4U, though by the end my favorite was probably the Sword and Shield (the only weapon I felt like I never got a firm grasp on was the hammer). I haven't kept up on the weapon changes in Generations, or figured out which of the 4 styles would fit how I play, but it's probably a safe bet I'll give everything a try.

magicflounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatsword because I am lame and it was the first weapon that clicked with me in 4U.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love charge blade, so even if I try to main something else, I'll probably just end up mostly using charge blade anyway.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great sword all the way but I'm not sure I'm ready for the monster hunter crack just yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Gunlance Or Dual Blades

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I couldn't tell you until I've played it somem but because I spent the overwhelming majority of my time in 4U with the Insect Glaive I'm likely to try it out in the new game too.

I did also play a fair bit of Hunting Horn and Dual Blades though, so I might try to switch over to one of those if the Glaive feels too familiar. The changes to Hunting Horn in particular interest me as I have been wanting to completely main that weapon in the past. I'm also going to give Bow another shot, I guess, even if I'm no good at it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my mind yo

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The 8-4 guys seemed to like the cat and suggested it acts as another weapon/class choice, so I'll say that (though I'm not going to play this game).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And aw man the dog sounded cool. Though i dont know how the hell youre supposed to sharpen it.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, the charge blade is super popular still (at least online) and it seems that they made changes in Generations to make it better.

wilcox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't decide. I played through M4U with the switch axe but now i'm eyeing both the hunting horn and bow. Might even go adept long sword. Can't wait!

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch Axe, that's the choice of all the cool kids, such as myself.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I probably won't put much time into it considering how little time I ended up having for 4U. But I love greatswords too much to switch now. I'll do longswords or hammers on the side, but HEART IS ALWAYS WITH THE BIGGEST CHUNK OF METAL I CAN FIND

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In MH4U I mained the insect glaive and messed around with the charge blade. Over the past month or so I've gotten back into monster hunter and I've decided I'll likely go greatsword and probably bow. I will likely dabble in sword and shield too if only to dragon punch stuff.

Need to start a thread looking for folks to play with next!

CrocBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long Sword all day erryday.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MezZa

Forever and always the lance. It's what I've used ever since I started playing back on the wii. I'm still deciding what my secondary will be though. In 4U and 3 it was switchaxe, but I might try something new.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honest answer is probably insect glaive, as it's the only one i have any experience with. but i may change it up and suck even more than normal as a result.

Oren87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatsword most probably. I only got into MH with 4u. I bounced around a few different weapon types before landing on the GS and fell in love.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After spending some time with the demo, I might actually try to main a gunner weapon for once. Adept bow is really good, ya'll.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I always want to main a Heavy Bowgun but ammo management, in terms of gathering, has always been a pain in the butt in my experience. Hunting horn is always fun though, and I like some of the changes they made to it in this game based off of the demo.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably go dual blades again. MH4U made me fall in love with them, they're just so damn fast and fun. I like building up meter and getting access to the dash and the moving X+A, and having to maintain that meter by staying aggresive.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SnS forever.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lance was really fun in Ultimate and hopefully it remains fun, nothing like charging in and jump-stabbing a dude which seems to result in a mount a lot. I just started playing Ultimate again today after a long time and I feel overwhelmed again haha, I had just started high rank stuff.

CrocBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing some multiplayer in the demo, think I'm gonna try and pick up the bow in Generations. Which is not a thing I thought I'd ever say.

@takoyaki said:

I'll probably go dual blades again. MH4U made me fall in love with them, they're just so damn fast and fun. I like building up meter and getting access to the dash and the moving X+A, and having to maintain that meter by staying aggresive.

Dual blades were my first main, back in FU, they're pretty good if mobility is your top priority.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be going Sword and Shield for sure. It was really fun in the demo.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long sword.

The adept style especially seems like a ton of fun to use against super-aggressive monsters. You can charge up your spirit gauge in no time if you know the monster's attacks. Red-bar spirit gauge all day, every day.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using my main weapon, the gunlance. I think the new heat mechanic is a nice feature that gets players to mix their stabs with guns to raise attack power, but I find myself "setting up" at the start of every large monster quest by shelling until the gauge hits red and then setting out to find the monster. I know I don't have to do it but I think its easier to maintain red during a fight rather than trying to work up to it and then keeping it there.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was going to main the Insect Glaive but I started using Arial GS and now I'm in love with it.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how spread out the poll is. It shows that people have fun with every weapon and if you give a couple more weapons a shot, you can get a whole different gaming experience from it. Going from blademaster to gunner was a huge change which had me sink even more hours in to MH4U. Once I get everything sorted out with MHG, I hope to keep grabbing other weapons to try out the styles.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By datarez

I'm still sword and shield. I like the speed without the need for the extra mechanic of the dual blades. I'm tempted to try to switch axe though.

perdido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By perdido

Well I thought I was gonna go IG again, but after trying out the flying charge blade style I haven't used any other weapon. I'm able to easily mount all the monsters, knock them down, and then unleash on them with the charge blades elemental blade attacks. Only ones I've had trouble mounting so far is the Velocidrome and Gendrome. Such tiny frames.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In order to get people into Monster Hunter, I don't think they need to dumb down the weapons but make some of the combos and speed quicker to get people to keep switching up the weapon depending on the monster or group. I haven't even looked at gunner weapons and I have been playing since Freedom Unite. I only use them when I need to gather or do some bug quests.

Here's hoping that the next big Monster Hunter generation has excellent weapon support and learning. It would be nice to say that you main 6 different weapons instead of 1-2.