User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AMyggen
jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was about to just make this when i saw the IGN review!! Now there is no pressure for 2K to change NBA 2k into a better game.....

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

You've got to start somewhere. Finally getting this game back on shelves is an achievement in and of itself.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

@chaser324: That's the spirit! I get the impression that may be the one solace for the producers of the game. "Well, at least we got it out, eh?"

Though, it could still sell really well, as I don't think reviews on sports titles seem to influence sales as much; I may be wrong.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

Man, the guy on the cover of the game looks disappointed. In you for buying it and in himself. It looks like he already knows what a drag it is to play the game.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts go out to the EA employees who slaved over this during 168 hour crunch-weeks and are about to find themselves unemployed :(

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

To me, this looks like further evidence that EA is not doing as well as we might think.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@jimmyfenix said:

I was about to just make this when i saw the IGN review!! Now there is no pressure for 2K to change NBA 2k into a better game.....

The good news is they keep turning out a great game anyways.

@veektarius said:

To me, this looks like further evidence that EA is not doing as well as we might think.

Eh? I don't see why this says that. They should have just learned their lesson and cut it out with LIVE. Battlefield, Madden, FIFA, Need For Speed, Titan Fall, etc. They are fine.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah: I can only think of this.

No Caption Provided

haha. Yeah, he knows something's really funky about this game...

No Caption Provided

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyrie Irving just got that "I play in a Mike Brown offense now" face on.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@veektarius said:

Eh? I don't see why this says that. They should have just learned their lesson and cut it out with LIVE.

Ok, I'll elaborate. EA hasn't been putting an NBA game on shelves regularly for years. That's extra dev time not spent supporting old releases that they can put toward putting out a superior product. Say what you will about Live (and people are saying good things) even if they couldn't have topped the gameplay, they should have been able to match the graphics with a sufficient investment of cash. They didn't.

On its own, that doesn't mean much. Maybe they saw it as a losing battle and didn't want to throw good money after bad. But if you look at their past couple years of business, you see a lot of disappointments on the slate. The disappointing third iterations in their two scifi series, DA2, declining sports game and Rockband sales. Abject failures in Medal of Honor and SimCity, and over-iteration of their franchises that are still popular: Battlefield and Need for Speed. Oh yeah, and remember The Old Republic?

When I read between the lines, I see a few big misses, some attempts to make up for losses on those misses by cutting corners, and failures to do so.

Naturally, they've got Titanfall coming out, and that will probably be big, but I'm personally leery of anything that EA puts out until that game has refreshed their coffers.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I saw a stream of this last night. It did not look good. I really liked NBA Live back in the day so that was quite disappointing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@veektarius: I guess I just don't see it that way... don't care what their income is, I care about the games. So far Titanfall looks incredible and so does Dragon Age Inquisition (which also, btw, looks like it cost a shitload of money). Frostbite 3 is definitely the coolest next gen tech I've seen so far and all their games will be on that, including the new Mass Effect.

I think you're overereacting to the failures. Even like the Old Republic started making a lot more money when it went F2P. I think they're still totally fine.

When it comes to LIVE, the thing I will say, is I think Visual Concepts, the devs for 2K, need to be applauded because I think they're incredible developers. The thing it is easy to miss is that they make, in my opinion, the best sports game by far and I think they make it in the hardest sport to represent in our HD age graphically as well as control wise. Basketball is a game of extreme amounts of freedom and possibilities. The fact that they pull off the animations as well as they have, have it all control very responsively, have a control scheme that allows you to do basically all of the tons and tons of moves you can do on a basketball court is truly amazing to me and I don't think it should be overlooked.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SamStrife

Woah there son! Since it went F2P, The Old Republic has done really well for itself. They've put out an expansion and their upcoming PVP Space Battles update has been getting exceptionally positive previews. They've also recently added a couple more Operations (Raids) and show no signs of slowing.

On topic: It's a shame this game isn't very good. I love the 2K games but it's always nice to have competition to enable the boundaries to be pushed. Even though 2K has not faltered with no one else to compete with yet, it's still good to have that competition to spur you on.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I figured that this would be the case. The past few years seemed to be more of an indication that, as far as basketball games go, EA doesn't know what they're doing.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By morningstar

So NBA Live is doing worse than Cleveland Cavaliers?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I still believe that there is time to cancel this project. Don't let its retail availability lull you into believing it's real

VILLHAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

@chaser324: I'm assuming that EA - and I know that fans - have invested too much money in sports games for moral victories. I don't want to be excited that NBA Live is back on store shelves, I want a great basketball game to play.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InternetDotCom

"The poopy presentation extends to the audio, too." -IGN

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's funny how competition brings out the best and worst in video games. Imagine if EA didn't have the NFL exclusive license... how do we even know Madden is the best possible NFL game we can be playing? All we know is that people only care about the NFL and maybe college football when it comes to the sport.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I'm assuming that EA - and I know that fans - have invested too much money in sports games for moral victories. I don't want to be excited that NBA Live is back on store shelves, I want a great basketball game to play.

This is true. If the game continues to get reviews this bad, then what purpose was served in canning Elite and not releasing an NBA game for the past three years? It's apparent that EA's NBA efforts have either stagnated or regressed. Live had been long seen as the inferior choice to the NBA 2K series; this game does nothing to change that impression. If the best that EA can say is "Yay! We released a game!", then nothing has changed; they're still playing second fiddle. And if there is a difference, it's that Live is likely to be seen as even more of a joke now, as people will look at the game and say "It took them three years to make this?"

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wjb

Man, the guy on the cover of the game looks disappointed. In you for buying it and in himself. It looks like he already knows what a drag it is to play the game.

The cover managed to make a 21-year-old look like a 50-year-old man.

They seriously need to go back to the action shots of athletes on the covers. Make them more colorful or something. Close-ups of the their sad faces makes me sad.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

@truthtellah said:

They seriously need to go back to the action shots of athletes on the covers. Make them more colorful or something. Close-ups of the their sad faces makes me sad.

Resigned sadness is next gen.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that looks so fucking terrible

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@wjb said:

@truthtellah said:

It's not the first time that's happened to Kyrie (plus like 10 years)

Loading Video...

I want Uncle Drew and Wes in 2k.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

None of this is surprising in the least bit.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember there was a time when each of the big five sports had two decent games each. There's this with basketball, 2K's NHL series discontinued, MLB: The Show is the only baseball game worth playing, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is Base Wars needs to return.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

I remember there was a time when each of the big five sports had two decent games each. There's this with basketball, 2K's NHL series discontinued, MLB: The Show is the only baseball game worth playing, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is Base Wars needs to return.

And it needs the competition of Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 and motherfucking Baseball Stars.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Flappy

Surprise! NBA Live is back!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the fuck have they have been doing for the past four years!?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hailinel said:

Jesus.

EDIT: The photo in question:

No Caption Provided

LeBron looks like a Uruk hai

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lebron looks like Greg Oden in that picture.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I can only think of this.

No Caption Provided

I don't know... I think all three faces tell a slightly different story.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad that Live is back. I thought that they would step their game up to compete with 2k, though. I just finished downloading the 9GB demo before I read the reviews. Doh.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad that Live is back. I thought that they would step their game up to compete with 2k, though. I just finished downloading the 9GB demo before I read the reviews. Doh.

Wow 9 gigs. Not like it even looks great too.

Lets hope ISP's don't start getting tyranical (more than they already are) because this digital future is gonna be boned up.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No surprised after I caught some of that stream the other day, they haven't got anything on 2K's offering.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You've got to start somewhere. Finally getting this game back on shelves is an achievement in and of itself.

Loading Video...

No surprise. Every trailer I watched made it very clear that this was going to be the same old Live, which is a shame.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By InternetDotCom
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Looking good!

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone on GAF said LeBron looks like Yoda and god damn he does.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hailinel
InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Computer caught the ball and refused to do anything

Loading Video...

The full Gamespot comparison video.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#45  Edited By MormonWarrior

IGN once again proves itself to be the weird, hyperbolic outlet it always is. From Twitter: "NBA Live 14 marks the return of the once-excellent basketball sim, but that excellence is long gone."

Um....if memory serves me right, NBA Live has always been the crappy one, and at best it had a few years from like 2001-2005 when it was an acceptable, more arcadey basketball game. Those SNES games were FREAKING terrible.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mormonwarrior: No, not hyperbolic. I always preferred 2K when that showed up on the Dreamcast, but before the LIVE was a great game. LIVE 95-99 were really excellent games. Then once 2K did show up, it was just on Dreamcast. Even after that, some preferred LIVE for a while as a more fast paced basketball game, even if I certainly disagreed. Either way, during that time period it was not "the crappy one". It was a good solid game. I just thought 2K was much more realistic and looked better.

Eventually the quality gap widened.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#47  Edited By MormonWarrior

@artisanbreads: Hmm okay well I guess that's probably true then. The pre-polygonal NBA Live games were terrible, and all I can recall is that the Dreamcast games were raved about. Looks like GameSpot has some reviews of the older NBA Live games and they're pretty favorable...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So I forgot I pre ordered this. I just played it for 90 minutes. And Wow. Just. Wow. It is so terrible. I can't play this game. There is just no way. This is Live 10 still. Nothing has changed aside from newer graphics. I have NCAA 10 for PS3 still (which was Live 10 for college, they were essentially the same damn game also). I booted that bitch up and its exactly the fucking same. Same crappy animations. Same crappy character models. Same crappy passing, shooting, player floating, etc. Its. The. Same. Game. And man is terrible. Not even comparing it to 2K14. It is just bad at being a basketball game.

This is getting traded in pronto.

VILLHAVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By VILLHAVER

Unbelievably bad. Wow.

@hailinel said:

Jesus.

EDIT: The photo in question: