How to transfer digital games from "old" 3DS to NEW 3DS?

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This may be a dumb question, but I've honestly never tried it, so how does it work? I am getting a New 3DS (pre-ordered the Monster Hunter bundle on GameStop), but I don't want to lose my digitally bought games. I hear that they are locked to the system, so is there a transfer option already available that I'm oblivious to?

Thanks in advance. The new consoles are out next month.

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 3DS has a system transfer option in the settings. It's pretty easy to do. You'll also want to transfer the files on your 3DS SD card onto your micro SD for your New 3DS.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yeah, there is a system transfer option in the settings that basically requires two 3DSs to be within wireless range of each other (and both using the transfer option), and it completely transfers all licenses associated with the 3DS to the other 3DS, and when the process finishes it might actually end up formatting the original 3DS so that both 3DSs don't have access to the games? Anyway, yeah, I've yet to do it, but by all accounts it works pretty well.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, thanks for the response. My only remaining question is...

I had a 3DS before I bought my XL that I bought games on, BUT I did not do a system transfer for them because I didn't know it existed. However, I have them registered to one of my Club Nintendo accounts. Is there a way I can get those licenses on my New 3DS, or am I screwed because I no longer have the console? Maybe Nintendo can look at my account and see that they're mine?

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

Does the transfer keep your saved games intact? I'm gonna go postal if my AC village bites the dust. (I have eShop version)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does the transfer keep your saved games intact? I'm gonna go postal if my AC village bites the dust. (I have eShop version)

It does not but you can transfer them using a PC with an SD card slot pretty easily.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@privodotmenit said:

It does not but you can transfer them using a PC with an SD card slot pretty easily.

Oh I see, is it just a case of taking the SD card out, then putting the contents onto a Micro?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@corevi said:
@privodotmenit said:

Oh I see, is it just a case of taking the SD card out, then putting the contents onto a Micro?

Yup, though you still have to use the System Transfer for the licenses.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@privodotmenit said:

@corevi said:
@privodotmenit said:

Yup, though you still have to use the System Transfer for the licenses.

That's great, well, kind of, I'm still annoyed you have to have both systems to do the damn transfer. I was planning to sell my current 3DS but now I gotta wait. (knowing my luck, prices will drop)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Purchases get transferred over when doing a System Transfer. The process can be a bit confusing, I found a guide from a local Nintendo website, Vooks.net helped a lot when I got my New 3DSXL back in November. Basically, the crucial thing to keep everything pain free is when you reach the "Transfer SD Card data" part select "Copy via PC" (assuming you have an SD card reader, and appropriate card adapters, anyway). You should have all of your saves for any digital games intact once you've performed the System Transfer and copied the contents of your 3DSXL's SD card to your New 3DS XL's microSD card.

Loading Video...

As for your old old 3DS and the games purchased there, I don't believe you have any way to recover those games.

feive_vz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone confirm whether the saves can be transferred too? I don't have access to my card adapter and so was hoping to transfer my saves in the system transfer. My Pokémon and AC village dudes, I can't lose em!

Even if it takes hours, thats fine!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you do the data transfer from the original non-XL 3DS too?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well first you get a blender

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feive_vz said:

Can anyone confirm whether the saves can be transferred too? I don't have access to my card adapter and so was hoping to transfer my saves in the system transfer. My Pokémon and AC village dudes, I can't lose em!

Even if it takes hours, thats fine!

Read the full thread...