If Nintendo createad a PS+/GwG style "Virtual Console Pass", would you get on it?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll If Nintendo createad a PS+/GwG style "Virtual Console Pass", would you get on it? (21 votes)

Yes! The ability to play all Virtual Console titles for a yearly or monthly fee would get me on board. 81%
No, get those old games outta my sight. 48%

The entire Virtual Console library at your disposal, with a promise of more games being added over time as they have been doing for years. Nintendo doesn't really have the games right now to do a PS+ or GwG style offer, so this way they can make some money while putting the Virtual Console in the spotlight and hopefully get on with porting other classics and perhaps unreleased games like Mother 3 in non Japan regions.

I for one would be totally on board with this. This is a total of (as of this posting):

• 113 games for Wii U in all regions except Japan, where they have 204
  • 165 Games for 3DS in NA, 254 in Japan, and 162 everywhere else

By the time the Wii was done, they had over 400 games on the NA VC and over 650 in Japan. Wii U VC has so far only been out for a little over a year and they are already over 1/4 the way to the amount of games they had for the Wii; shows they're porting at a faster rate. Another thing would be price range - $50?

• 
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It'd be a neat idea, for sure. But I've played those games, they're OLD. Fuck virtual console, if I'm playing classics I just emulate them on pc, Nintendo asks for ludicrous amounts of money for games made 30 years ago. I'd much prefer a subscription where you get shit that's like, actually relevant.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

A virtual console subscription service could be amazing, with some caveats.

With the current drip-feed of virtual console games and the current stuff available though, I'm happy to merely buy the games I want to own rather than pay any sort of subscription. To make a subscription a superior option I think they would need to either increase the size of the Virtual Console's library and included virtual console platforms in one big shot, or commit to releasing more Virtual Console games each week than the current drip-feed. I'd also want the addition of at least N64 and Nintendo DS titles to the current Virtual Console lineup - Gamecube titles would be an amazing inclusion. I'd also want Nintendo to commit to 60hz releases for us PAL folk - they're far too inconsistent in this regard.

With the current state of the Virtual Console though, there simply isn't enough there on offer that I actually want to play to make paying a monthly/yearly subscription worthwhile when I can simply buy the games I want and own them (as much as you own any Nintendo digital title, anyway :P ).

Of course, there's also the fact that I'm kind of so busy playing new games that I rarely actually play the Virtual Console games I do buy - so maybe subscribing wouldn't be a good idea for me anyway. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Probably not. I'd rather just buy the handful of VC games I'd actually want.

Now if GameCube VC was a thing and it was included with that subscription? Shut up and take my money.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think that'd be a really cool service, but they'd have to do a couple things before I'd consider getting it. If they had more interaction between the 3DS, and Wii U, and they got some more interesting titles on Virtual Console then I'd be all over it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ripelivejam

MARTY!!!!!

but yeah i'd totally go for it. in fact i feel very strongly that they should start a service like that and it would be very beneficial for them. i think a lot has to change in their corporate divison before we see that. plus im sure there's a bunch of legal issues.

also: put FF Tactics Advance on virtual console, consarn it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shindig

It might be worth it if they could somehow implement an achievement system into old games. They'd make money off it, though. Like, considerably.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

NO IDEA why this was posted to the Back to the Future board. What the actual fuck. I typed Nintendo, Nintendo came up, and then it posted here?

I also can't edit it for some reason and was forced to post again.

Also the poll isn't even working. PLZ FIX MODS

I laughed harder than I probably should have at that.

Anyway, all I have right now is PS+ and I've liked it quite a bit. I would give some serious thought to a Nintendo version.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No, because if it was like PS+ or Games with Gold, then it'd be like four games a month, chosen mostly at random by Nintendo. I know that's not what you suggested, original poster, but that's how I would see Nintendo do it if they were going to ape the competition.

If it was all of the Virtual Console? Maybe. I dunno.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure that since the original announcement of the virtual console on Wii this was what Jeff hoped virtual console would be.

It's the perfect way to get people to play a lot of the older games that frankly often have less substance than a typical iphone game these days. I can't really see people paying for these games that they could find a clone of on their phone for free but if they made it better value and easy to access (or at least easier than emulating it) then they might have something cool on their hands.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Option C. I'm fine with just picking up the few games I enjoy going back to when they are released and wouldn't want to commit to a reccuring fee to keep playing them. Also Castlevania 3 was released just a little while ago and that was the last one I was really missing, I think.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I never really liked the idea of a subscription service for the VC. Club Nintendo puts up a handful of games each month that are purchasable with points that are earned by buying Nintendo products and filling out surveys. I like the existing system a lot better then a hypothetical PS+ or Netflix model. The lesson I would like Nintendo to learn from PlayStation is to make these games cross buy and account bound (rather then hardware bound).

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk

No, because they'd make it 50hz, up-hz'd into 60hz which is what the WiiU puts out, making it a horrible mess of an experience.

..but if it will be no problem for me to import and enable buying things online with a WiiU from north america eventually then yes maybe!

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the price was decent ( say 5$ a month) I'd likely consider it if for nothing more than to experience a lot of those older games for the first time since we had a genesis not NES or SNES growing up.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Those poll options are awful. They imply that if one doesn't like the idea of a "pass", that must mean they don't like old games.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy

I've been trying to edit the OP ever since I posted it because I meant to add an option C and change the descriptions, but "Whoops! Something happened and they've been working on it" ever since I clicked submit.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By csl316

It's be neat, especially since it would get people talking about a specific old game now and then. "Guys, did you try out that new Goonies II this month??" And then there's be like a 20 page thread on Goonies II.