I know all of the Gek Language

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

This afternoon I appear to have leaned all the words of the Gek. Now when I walk up to monuments the black cylinders tell me I learned 'nothing new'.

I think in total I know 640+ words. And I knew that I had more Gek since most of the sentences spoken to me were translated, but I was shocked that there might only be 400 to 500 words in Gek. When I was getting close all the words I was learning were conjunctions,personal pronouns, and prepositions instead of nouns and verbs. I think I know the least Vy'Keen words because they have only been in three of the eight systems I have visited.

I think on Gek controlled planets I still have to visit the ruins/monoliths because that is how your learn Atlas words, but I can now ship engaging any black cylinders.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Eh. Dana Gould mastered speaking Gex decades ago! It's tail time!

Seriously, though, now that you can understand them do they have anything interesting to say? Also how did you get the patience to do this?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You grinder you. And, it appears the Gek are "men of few words".

Avatar image for deactivated-629e884eb03d8
deactivated-629e884eb03d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So you're saying the Universe has been populated by races who are more less functionally illiterate and can't solve simple math problems?

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bigsocrates: your reply legit made me laugh, as someone who has played more than his fair share of Gex.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Yeah, did the same with the Vy'keen. Kind of a bummer.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's hard enough to invent a fictional language for a movie, game, or series, let alone three of them and then some (Atlas doesn't count).

That said, it's not unusual that an entire language in this game is distilled into a few hundred words. In real life, you only need to understand one or two thousand words, depending on the language, in order to grasp a language and be able to learn new words without problems. We could assume the words learned in NMS are just the most common and basic ones for each species, and given how simplistic interactions are with the aliens anyway, the languages probably don't need more.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spakkle: Well, if they are functionally illieterate the math issue seems to make more sense...they are only slighly smarter than Paklids "We are smart now."

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@monkeyking1969: I also have learned all the Gek it seems I can learn. I was actually kinda bummed about that for a few hours the other day.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably only learn words that show up on the game's script ( not from a fully functional language). That way you don't learn words you won't see.

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matiaz_tapia: This is exactly it, and being that there isn't a lot being said each "language" is pretty small. 400-500 words per

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably only learn words that show up on the game's script ( not from a fully functional language). That way you don't learn words you won't see.

Oh, I'm sure. And the fact that the scripts follow a "Pigeon English" script likely reduces the function vocabulary needed even more. To be honest with four languages to learn (the three races plus Atlas) it might take me until I hit the center to learn it all.

Ironically the "story" of the Gek that you glean for the monuments must have a few more "finds" to go since I do not seem to have the full story, just the full language. I do with the game had 12 or 20 races however, I'm sort of tired of seeing Gek, Korvax, and Vykeen....I want to see floating brains and squide faced people...and fat, yellow bears that love Honey who speaking riddles.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pixelrat said:

@matiaz_tapia: This is exactly it, and being that there isn't a lot being said each "language" is pretty small. 400-500 words per

Some of the languages have to be a lot smaller because there only seems to be 1111 words between all four languages.