Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There's that stat about Kickstarters making most of their money during the first and last couple days; hopefully so does this one. Myst is one of my favorite games from my childhood and I'd 100% buy this game when it comes out.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3 gamer_152  Moderator

A lot of Kickstarters have really powered through at the end, so I think there's hope for this one yet.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Missacre

I get the feeling that all this Kickstarter business is starting to really get out of hand. It seems like EVERYONE these days suddenly can't afford to make a game, so they have people fund it for them. I wouldn't be surprised if AAA devs and publishers started using Kickstarter in the future because they "can't afford" to make a multi-million dollar game. I've never trusted it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@missacre: It's not that they cannot afford. It's that they can't afford to make the game they want, or simply prefer to crowdfund and risk losing the trust of their customers to ruining their life in the process. You might think that what was presented in Indie Game: The Movie was an exaggeration, but it's really not, considering the scale of the games presented in that thing and amount of resources they have - which is two dudes. It's possible to make this sort of stuff on your own as evidenced, but lives have been turned upside down in the process. Like Jasper Byrne, who's marriage collapsed in the process of making Lone Survivor. Or the guy who made Cook, Serve, Delicious! which only managed to turn in a profit thanks to Ryan Davis.

Not to mention the fact that often people don't want to put up with publishers. Patrice Desilets was the creative director for Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft's cash cow, and look how he was fucked over them recently. When Tim Schaefer was pitching Brutal Legend, he was told that unless he makes the same game about hip-hop culture, it won't get done and once he made the game he wanted, he got screwed over by EA's marketing.

AAA publishers won't do that because crowdfunding is a) a gamble much higher than giving cash for a new IP, since publishers have at least one blockbuster to sustain such ventures and b) gives a degree of creative control to the customer.

It's wise to be wary of it and not 100% trusting, but most of the time it's not people trying to ride the Kickstarter bandwagon, but trying to use a new form of funding to create.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The fact that they're over 85% of the way there suggests they have a really good chance of making it, so you're worrying over nothing. Backers often get emotionally invested in Kickstarter campaigns, so if the project is this close to its goal (especially with a full 3 days left), some backers will go back and up their pledges, and some will try to bring more attention to the campaign (like you're doing).

It would be much more worrying if the project only had like $500,000 out of $1,100,000 with 3 days left.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The fact that they're over 85% of the way there suggests they have a really good chance of making it, so you're worrying over nothing. Backers often get emotionally invested in Kickstarter campaigns, so if the project is this close to its goal (especially with a full 3 days left), some backers will go back and up their pledges, and some will try to bring more attention to the campaign (like you're doing).

Yup yup yup. Hope this makes it either way, more Myst style games like this and the The Witness are welcome.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They picked a really bad time to launch this. I would have backed it if it hadn't been during the two months all the games come out and I also have spend a bunch of money on other things (like Christmas).

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

$44k and change to go. Made about $100k since I last checked it late yesterday alone, and with people like Bungie, Jonathan Blow and Neil Patrick Harris (yes, the very same) drumming up support online, I think this one's a slam dunk from here.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@royce_mccutcheon: If Doogie's in, so am I.

Really though, I've been watching this one for a while, and as I just got a bit o' cash, this'll (proudly!) be the first kickstarter I'm backing.

Fingers crossed!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Reminders are sent 48 hours before the deadline, so it'll probably make the remaining $40k tomorrow.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14 gamer_152  Moderator

Good for those guys. Hope they can put that money to good use.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By AssInAss

Good for those guys. Hope they can put that money to good use.

Lots of money showers.

No Caption Provided