Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

1. Delorean - "Real Love"

In this post-Animal Collective world of ours, the smart Electronic acts recognize real. Delorean may have bit off a few samples here and there from Merriweather throughout Subiza, especially on "Stay Close", but their Summery trance sound is all their own. I mean, is it even possible to NOT love the sped-up vocal sample used as the main melody in "Real Love"? 

2. Washed Out - "You And I"

OMGZ MAH DUDE, CHILLWAVE! I can't say that I approve of all these useless subgenres, but at least this one, Chillwave, is ultra specific: lo-fi electronica that sounds like it's being played back through the tape deck of an 80's Oldsmobile. "You And I" is pretty trippy. It sounds like a sophisticated response to Neon Indian, however, the female harmonies / rapping? toward the end give it a quality similar to early Enigma. . .if anyone even remembers Enigma. 

3. Four Tet - "She Just Likes To Fight"

Don't know who she is, don't care. You could place any track from There is Love in You on this list and it would be fine. But the album's standout, "She Just Likes To Fight", summarizes everything that There Is Love In You set out to accomplish. It's ambient, repetitive in that good way only techno can be, and despite that it's made entirely of samples, it builds organically. There's an odd human-like quality to this computerized muzak. Kraftwerk would be proud.

4. Caribou - "Odessa"

This is probably the darkest dance song you'll ever hear from a dude with a doctorate in mathematics; it's also one of the catchiest. While "Odessa" lays all of its cards out pretty early, it's got a real good fucking hand. 

5. Salem - "King Night"

This song is fucking creepy. Scary, even.  I don't know whether it's the "I LOVE YOU" sample at the beginning, or that the song is more or less a Gothic/Southern Rap-infused take on "Oh, Holy Night". . . I will say this, though, Scott Walker should take note of Salem if he ever decides to follow-up The Drift. These guys do the whole dark thing pretty well.

6. Panda Bear - "Slow Motion"  
It's Panda Bear. More reverb. Unintelligible lyrics. Off the wall sound structure. An addictive quality to it that you can't quite understand. Yep, it's Panda Bear. While the single, "Tomboy", disappointed me, it's hard to find fault with "Slow Motion". Now if he would just release the damn LP already. . .

7. Crystal Castles - "Not In Love"

Will an Alice Glass love song ever be normal? I was leaning more towards "Violent Dreams" for this list, but "Not In Love" is a track that just doesn't get a lot of attention. And for some reason it's my favorite song off the album, so go figure.  

8. Teengirl Fantasy - "Cheaters" 
I fell in love with this the moment I heard it. It reminds me an electronica/soul-tinged version of Hercules and Love Affair. My only gripe is that the way the samples are structured makes the whole thing kinda sound like a mash-up. But aside from that, it's pretty damn good. 

Okie doke guys, I know I'm probably forgetting/missing a TON of stuff, but these are the songs that immediately came to mind. If I remember any others I'll be sure to add them. I think I'll be doing this for a few other genres, or maybe just a "BEST NEW MUSIC" thing, ala Pitchfork. I know the year isn't over yet, but if you've looked at the upcoming releases, it might as well be. Anyway, feel free to list your favorites in the comments! 
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

1. Delorean - "Real Love"

In this post-Animal Collective world of ours, the smart Electronic acts recognize real. Delorean may have bit off a few samples here and there from Merriweather throughout Subiza, especially on "Stay Close", but their Summery trance sound is all their own. I mean, is it even possible to NOT love the sped-up vocal sample used as the main melody in "Real Love"? 

2. Washed Out - "You And I"

OMGZ MAH DUDE, CHILLWAVE! I can't say that I approve of all these useless subgenres, but at least this one, Chillwave, is ultra specific: lo-fi electronica that sounds like it's being played back through the tape deck of an 80's Oldsmobile. "You And I" is pretty trippy. It sounds like a sophisticated response to Neon Indian, however, the female harmonies / rapping? toward the end give it a quality similar to early Enigma. . .if anyone even remembers Enigma. 

3. Four Tet - "She Just Likes To Fight"

Don't know who she is, don't care. You could place any track from There is Love in You on this list and it would be fine. But the album's standout, "She Just Likes To Fight", summarizes everything that There Is Love In You set out to accomplish. It's ambient, repetitive in that good way only techno can be, and despite that it's made entirely of samples, it builds organically. There's an odd human-like quality to this computerized muzak. Kraftwerk would be proud.

4. Caribou - "Odessa"

This is probably the darkest dance song you'll ever hear from a dude with a doctorate in mathematics; it's also one of the catchiest. While "Odessa" lays all of its cards out pretty early, it's got a real good fucking hand. 

5. Salem - "King Night"

This song is fucking creepy. Scary, even.  I don't know whether it's the "I LOVE YOU" sample at the beginning, or that the song is more or less a Gothic/Southern Rap-infused take on "Oh, Holy Night". . . I will say this, though, Scott Walker should take note of Salem if he ever decides to follow-up The Drift. These guys do the whole dark thing pretty well.

6. Panda Bear - "Slow Motion"  
It's Panda Bear. More reverb. Unintelligible lyrics. Off the wall sound structure. An addictive quality to it that you can't quite understand. Yep, it's Panda Bear. While the single, "Tomboy", disappointed me, it's hard to find fault with "Slow Motion". Now if he would just release the damn LP already. . .

7. Crystal Castles - "Not In Love"

Will an Alice Glass love song ever be normal? I was leaning more towards "Violent Dreams" for this list, but "Not In Love" is a track that just doesn't get a lot of attention. And for some reason it's my favorite song off the album, so go figure.  

8. Teengirl Fantasy - "Cheaters" 
I fell in love with this the moment I heard it. It reminds me an electronica/soul-tinged version of Hercules and Love Affair. My only gripe is that the way the samples are structured makes the whole thing kinda sound like a mash-up. But aside from that, it's pretty damn good. 

Okie doke guys, I know I'm probably forgetting/missing a TON of stuff, but these are the songs that immediately came to mind. If I remember any others I'll be sure to add them. I think I'll be doing this for a few other genres, or maybe just a "BEST NEW MUSIC" thing, ala Pitchfork. I know the year isn't over yet, but if you've looked at the upcoming releases, it might as well be. Anyway, feel free to list your favorites in the comments! 
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By GreggD

So, Bruce. What exactly is the difference between Electronic and Electronica?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bruce
@GreggD:  

Well, they're pretty interchangeable, but when I hear "Electronica", given its history, I usually think NO VOCALS. "Electronica" is pretty much the umbrella term for the more dance-heavy, rave-sounding, kind of stuff. 
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman

I'm counting Sleigh Bells as Electronic. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bruce
@TurboMan:  

Oh please, they is Indie Rock and you know it nigga.
Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie

THANK YOU! I've been looking for more Techno/Electro/Electronica artists to listen to, I just didn't where to start.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce
@Dr_VonBoogie:  

Four Tet. Four Tet. Four Tet. Four Tet. FOUR TET.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Good list. I just want to chip this in if you don't mind. It's more of a club tune than anything else you've listed but I feel like it still needs a mention: 

Could do with a little less messing about with effects but this is still my favourite electronic tune of the year, or at least up there with a few other choice cuts from the album. It feels like the perfect combination of Emotion Technology's pop beats and Binary Universe's layering, though definitely without the depth that album had. The chorus is just impossibly infections and if you don't come out of this 10 minute mix feeling good, then I don't know what to recommend. And, yes, this YouTube version sounds completely hideous to the real thing. I just wish I could get to one of his shows and hear it live.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turboman
@Bruce: LCD then? 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bruce
@TurboMan:  

Nope, also Indie Rock at this point. ESPECIALLY the stuff from This Is Happening. I was kind of thinking of just straight-up electronic music.
Avatar image for thecappuccinobandit
TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@TurboMan said:

" @Bruce: LCD then? 

"
Man I freaking love this song.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bruce
@HandsomeDead:  

I like it! It has a nice early 2000's vibe to it, back when those underground mixtapes used to go around.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turboman
@Bruce:  

eh, that's the best I got then. I don't care for too much on the list except Crystal Castles and Panda Bear... 

I've always hated Panda Bear's solo stuff, Person Pitch is insanely not good at all, but Slow Motion is an amazing song.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce
@TurboMan:  

It hasn't really been a strong year for electronica.
markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By markini6
@TurboMan said:

" @Bruce:   eh, that's the best I got then. I don't care for too much on the list except Crystal Castles and Panda Bear...  I've always hated Panda Bear's solo stuff, Person Pitch is insanely not good at all, but Slow Motion is an amazing song. "

Agreed (partially). I really don't like Panda Bear's voice for some reason, I much prefer Avey Tare who's also from Animal Collective. Another good Electronic album that came out this year is "Does it Look Like I'm Here?" by The Emeralds. Also, has anyone listened to Matthew Dear's new album? That's electronic and Pitchfork seem to like it, but I'm wondering what other's think of it.
EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EleFlameMax

I'm not going to listen to Slow Motion, dude. 

A Day Ago.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By beargirl1

great post. i haven't been keeping up with new eletronica at all this year. i've been listening to some more old stuff. a shame :( 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bruce
@AjayRaz:  

Thanks. 
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss

I never use the term Electronica....just sounds weird to me....it will always just be electronic music to me.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By masternater27
@Bruce: Definitely going to agree with Caribou and Crystal Castles, fantastic albums.  Haven't listened to much of any of the rest except Panda Bear which I wasn't very into.  Diggin' this Delorean song though.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By masternater27

Both of the new Autechre albums are also pretty good if you're into more ambientness.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bruce
@Unknown_Pleasures:  

(a) was in parenthesis yo!
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By artofwar420

Big fan of Crystal Castles, their live shows are insane.

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonathan

That is all. Thanks for listening :)
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Cirdain

I win here, clearly. Cutiest song ever!
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bruce
@Cirdain:  

. . .
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00d76666221
deactivated-5f00d76666221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, nice choices man.  I'm really enjoying the new crystal castles album, and I didn't really like the first that much, this is a clear step up.  Teengirl Fantasy are brilliant, they were getting tons of hype last year and then just went away, it's good that they're back.  I'd also suggest these two, though a bit more post rock.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bruce
@StaticInSnow:  

I need to get into Holy Fuck one of these days.
Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Slab64

Waitwaitwait....people don't still listen to Enigma???

Jeknod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeknod

Bruce, are you a fan of house (the music genre)?

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By BlastProcessing

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By aurahack

Carribou was the only good one I heard in there. :< It's more Drum n' Bass, but there's a severe lack of Pendulum in here. Let me remedy that: 

Other than that, I dunno. I've hated most of what I've listened to this year. Electronica has very much taken a turn for the worst with the uprise in club music. And you're all awful people for listening to Crystal Castles. >:c

Just listen to Prodigy's Invaders Must Die album again, I guess. 

Edit: Didn't see the post above. Errors and Holy Fuck are two excellent choices.