3D Studio Max (2010) vs Maya (latest version)

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Can anyone let me know the major differences between the above 2 programs, from experience?

From what I have personally gathered, 3DS has a better UI and is more suited for games and movies. And Maya is less resource hungry but less in depth.

I'm starting to branch out from After Effects and make some of my own custom models and particles. Can anyone who has used either software give me some advice as to what to go for? I'm very keen to make CGI and VFX for games and movies.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By artofwar420

I've used a lot more Maya than Max, I do know that the two have different ways of using the x,y,z axis. As to what is each used for I'd say that's up to the developers. I mean, Maya, rather a custom version of it is used by Pixar. And many game devs use Maya, as well as Max. I'll tell you something that my teacher once told me. 

"X" program is just a tool, no more. You can have the best, most expensive hammer in the world, but if you lack the skill, that won't matter.  

Another thing he told me is that once you know one program, it's not that hard to switch. So just pick one, and start.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ch13696

I've only dabbled in 3D Studio Max. From what I've seen and heard it's the more power hungry one. Is this what developers use for their 3D animation?

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By warxsnake

3dsmax and maya are closer than ever since they are all Autodesk now.  

At work, all modelers including me use 3dsmax, whereas animators and some character artists use maya. Its all a matter of taste, and which style of UI and shortcuts you are into. Personally I got used to 3dsmax since the late 90s so I'm not too keen on learning other apps, especially maya with its disgusting UI.  

You might also be interested in more streamlined applications like Silo. I use that a lot. It's pretty mucha huge "edit poly" app that works solely on hotkeys which is great.. no clutter.  

Can't speak or give advice on VFX and particles unfortunately, I'm more of a 3d polygonal / sculpting / texturing artist :( 

Some cool "effects driven" plugins for max: 

Rayfire: destructor, works with physX and Havok, has a slew of operations regarding breaking objects, simulation, live breaking, particles and FX (used for debris in trailers like the DAO and Mass Effect 2 trailers, and in movies like 2012 with heavy destructio). 
RealFlow: Great fluid simulator, does stuff like what you see in The Last Airbender trailer (didnt watch the movie because it sucks). 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid

Max is generally quite a bit easier to learn for most people, including myself. Maya is a more robust package. You can flesh out max with plugins, but... They ain't free. I personally use Modo now, which was even easier to learn. As artofwar said it's really easy to switch if you want something more robust. I've also seen great things coming out of Cinema 4D in the VFX field, but I have no first hand experience. You may want to check that out.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Franstone

I worked for a game developer a few years back.... all they touched was 3DS Max...

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By artofwar420
@ch13696: Along with Maya and a bunch of others.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Well i got a copy of Maya 2011 through my school. I will try it out but it sounds like 3D Max might be a little easier to learn.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By artofwar420
@sodiumCyclops: Give both a try, I wouldn't say Maya is hard, maybe it's because I've barely worked with Max.
timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By timmysprinkles

I found that 3DStudio Max was much better at modelling stuff but Maya is way better at animating objects. I don't know why... I just found it easer.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

People will generally tell you the thing you start with will become the thing you prefer. But general consensus is Maya is better for animating which is why that's what most 3d animation college courses use.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I will try get a copy of 3D Max. It seems Andrew Kramer (Videocopilot.net) uses it and I have been following his tutorials for a while now.