A New Runner, needs Training Advice!

Jawesome87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jawesome87

So, I began running as a way to lose weight about 3-4 months ago. I was using Zen-Labs 5k Trainer. Things were great and I felt great. I managed to drop serious poundage (50+) and I was in need of it.

Now I made a deal with myself to try and run a 10K by my birthday in October. I started using Zen-Labs 10K trainer, and I feel like I've hit a wall. I was able to run for 30+ minutes no problem and now I constantly start to struggle around the 30 minute mark. I don't know what changed, or what I can do to try and get past this speed bump. Any advice to help me get past this?

Thanks!!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By me3639

I try to run about 5-8(goal of 10) every other day. I dont do it for any other reason but to stay in shape. I have no intrest in any organized events. My advice to get over is once you hit the wall, and i am by far no expert, just stop and start walking. Take 10 minutes and start running again. You will be suprised how strong you feel after a break. Remember, Its not about the distance you can go at one time, its the overall distance you cover. Also, always seek out different trails and paths so your body doesnt become accustomed to doing the same thing over and over.

BTW congrats on your weight loss.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Congrats on the weight loss.

I try to jog about 3 miles a day roughly 4-5 times a week. Hoping to get back into the swing of things and up to 5 miles again once I'm back on vacation this summer. As @me3639 said, if you're tired, slow your pace for a few minutes and then go forward after. You're still progressing even if you have to slow down for a bit, in my mind.

I'm no pro, just a guy who likes to jog though.

Bombanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Bombanana

Just go outside and run in a pace you feel comfortable with for 45min+ two or three times a week if you can. If that's too long, only do 30 minutes at the start -you will improve speeds and condition automatically over time. Watch how you breath, run and breath smoothly. Don't rush things. It should be fun, no pain. Try at least 2 times a week though. Wear good shoes. Don't care about taking times, pulse etc. All just nonsense. Just run and listen to your body. The best way to lose weight and build up serious muscles too without pulling weights and looking like a body builder: Running and swimming combo. If you can manage going to a pool once a week and swim for 45min./ hour and then add another day or two of running to it, If you do that you can pretty much eat whatever you want and still be fit looking and feeling. It's that simple really and once you got used to it, it'll be fun and you'll miss it instantly when you have to stop training for a while because of sickness or something. DONT BUY ANYTHING THAN DECENT RUNNING SHOES AND SOME SWIMMING TRUNKS. That's really all you need.

darksouls2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@jawesome87 said:

So, I began running as a way to lose weight about 3-4 months ago. I was using Zen-Labs 5k Trainer. Things were great and I felt great. I managed to drop serious poundage (50+) and I was in need of it.

Now I made a deal with myself to try and run a 10K by my birthday in October. I started using Zen-Labs 10K trainer, and I feel like I've hit a wall. I was able to run for 30+ minutes no problem and now I constantly start to struggle around the 30 minute mark. I don't know what changed, or what I can do to try and get past this speed bump. Any advice to help me get past this?

Thanks!!

I wish you good luck.