A tribute to the glory days..

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jonnyp
I was just sifting through a thread concerning the recent layoffs at Gamespot when I stumbled across a post that basically summarized the staff of GS how I remember them: 
TomA said:
Bob Calayco
Greg Kasavin
Greg the other one with a shaved head
Jeff Gerstmann
Rich Gallup
Alex Navaro
Jason Ocampo
Ryan Davis
Brad Shomaker
VInny Carravela
Carrie Gouskos
Tim Surrete
Aaron Thomas
Bethany somebody
Don Francis
and whoever else I am missing."
I followed gamespot religiously for years, and I can honestly say when all these people were on staff that site felt like a family.  Every time one of them left I was honestly distraught - which incidentally sounds crazy [and kinda sad] when you think about it.  I keep trying to go back to GS, as they are my roots for internet gaming info, but the only people I feel like I know anything about now are Ricardo, Tor, Brian, and Brenden - all of which I think are awesome.  I love Giantbomb and I've been following the crew since the mass exodus from GS, but honestly sometimes I miss the old Gamespot crew.  I know it sounds lame and sad, but that site was all I had for a while, and feeling like I was apart of something awesome and unique kept me going.  Remember when Aaron first showed up at the After Hours event and was like "hey, I'm the new guy"? I remember thinking whoa crazy, new staff...and now its like I don't even recognize anyone anymore.  Well, either way I understand things change [for the better or worse] and I'm just grateful all of these random internet identities have either moved on to work in the industry they love, or persevered in the enthusiast press continuing to produce content that I appreciate day after day.  I wish Aaron, Don, and Bethany the best, as well as anyone else directly feeling the effects of these bleak economic times.
jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jonnyp
I was just sifting through a thread concerning the recent layoffs at Gamespot when I stumbled across a post that basically summarized the staff of GS how I remember them: 
TomA said:
Bob Calayco
Greg Kasavin
Greg the other one with a shaved head
Jeff Gerstmann
Rich Gallup
Alex Navaro
Jason Ocampo
Ryan Davis
Brad Shomaker
VInny Carravela
Carrie Gouskos
Tim Surrete
Aaron Thomas
Bethany somebody
Don Francis
and whoever else I am missing."
I followed gamespot religiously for years, and I can honestly say when all these people were on staff that site felt like a family.  Every time one of them left I was honestly distraught - which incidentally sounds crazy [and kinda sad] when you think about it.  I keep trying to go back to GS, as they are my roots for internet gaming info, but the only people I feel like I know anything about now are Ricardo, Tor, Brian, and Brenden - all of which I think are awesome.  I love Giantbomb and I've been following the crew since the mass exodus from GS, but honestly sometimes I miss the old Gamespot crew.  I know it sounds lame and sad, but that site was all I had for a while, and feeling like I was apart of something awesome and unique kept me going.  Remember when Aaron first showed up at the After Hours event and was like "hey, I'm the new guy"? I remember thinking whoa crazy, new staff...and now its like I don't even recognize anyone anymore.  Well, either way I understand things change [for the better or worse] and I'm just grateful all of these random internet identities have either moved on to work in the industry they love, or persevered in the enthusiast press continuing to produce content that I appreciate day after day.  I wish Aaron, Don, and Bethany the best, as well as anyone else directly feeling the effects of these bleak economic times.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I feel you, dude. Gamespot was my internet sanctuary, but no longer. I didn't bail on the place after the whole Gerstmann thing, but just haven't seen much of a reason to pay too much attention to the site since then. I noticed Tim Tracy is a guy that wasn't mentioned. Frank Provo too. What made the site so great was really just the staff. Well, plus they were pretty top of the line on providing users with any game related info they could ever need. I do miss those guys, but I'm glad I've found a new gaming site to call home.