Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

It's a cinematic orchestral piece that starts off uplifting then goes dark in a Tron / Inception sort of way. Lots of strings, brass and percussion with some synths and other sounds thrown in for good measure - even features a bit o' reversed Harpejji.

Here's a vidya and an mp3:

http://www.hamsteralliance.com/music/2011/THA-activegrid.mp3  

:3
#1 Edited by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

It's a cinematic orchestral piece that starts off uplifting then goes dark in a Tron / Inception sort of way. Lots of strings, brass and percussion with some synths and other sounds thrown in for good measure - even features a bit o' reversed Harpejji.

Here's a vidya and an mp3:

http://www.hamsteralliance.com/music/2011/THA-activegrid.mp3  

:3
#2 Posted by ch3burashka (5083 posts) -

Sounds very epic. 

Do you participate in the OCRemix community? I haven't seen a "hamster" remixer on there...

#3 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" Sounds very epic.  Do you participate in the OCRemix community? I haven't seen a "hamster" remixer on there... "
Thanks. :3

I haven't participated in any OC Remix stuff due to their guidelines for content. They want things with a specific bitrate and naming scheme that I'm not a fan of as it means making a copy just for them, at a worse quality and with a new name. :P
#4 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Really cool, although it did kind of just fade off at the end, I was kind of expecting some epic music for the finale.  What program did you use to create it?

#5 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -

I saw this earlier today on your YouTube account when I was looking for info on your next Lets Play. I enjoyed the song a lot but I think I like Materializing Cats in Space the best.

#6 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -

As soon as I saw that Hamst3r had a new track, I stopped listening to the Bombcast to hear it. Glad I did - the second part really hits its straps!

#7 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Music for a new final fantasy game?

#8 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
Thanks, ya'll. :)

@Inkerman said:
"What program did you use to create it? "
For this track I used Cockos Reaper and a lot of Native Instruments and Voxengo plugins.
#9 Posted by emem (1968 posts) -

My new "good morning, this day will be great!" music, very well done. :P

#10 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

that was awesome music. it was very nice. i was seeing like a music with army montage, like at the end they were forming for a battle. NICE.

#11 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

Thanks. :D

#12 Posted by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -

Man that was awesome. Great job on it! Do you know when the site will be back up? I'd love to have this on my ipod.

#13 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
#14 Posted by goodwood (600 posts) -

cool song but it doesnt take Materializing cats in space as my favorite track of yours.

#15 Posted by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -
@Hamst3r: Sweet, thanks man! Glad to hear the site is back up and running!
#16 Posted by Chronologist (267 posts) -

That was really great. Fantastic work :)

#17 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

This is really good, it has kind of a Mass Effect vibe at some points, but maybe that's just me. 
Would be cool if this music is in ME3, that probably won't happen though. 
Or will it...

#18 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Really cool. Good job.

#19 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Thanks for putting the mp3 up as youtube never does music any justice.

I need to use my free time to learn Buzz and start writing music again instead of avoiding it by making GB threads :(

#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Wow, that was really good. I saw this video up on my YouTube front page, but forgot to check it out before.

#21 Posted by Twiggy199 (498 posts) -

brilliant, good job!

#22 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

Thanks, Dudertrons!

@X19: I've started using Reaper. This is the first song I've done with that program instead of Buzz. :D

Buzz being 32-bit was getting too limiting memory-wise.

#23 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Very awesome, well done!
#24 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -

It was pretty good.

#25 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@Hamst3r: Man I think i'm just going to go back to using Reason. I cba to learn a new program and it's stopping me writing anything.  

Is Reaper free too?
#26 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@X19:  it has a 1 month free trial and it's pretty inexpensive if ya wanna buy it too.
#27 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

That was great. I really enjoyed your other music on Youtube as well. You seem to have a natural talent.

#28 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@Zimbo:  Thanks, glad you checked out more stuff! :)
#29 Posted by bassman2112 (837 posts) -

I had checked this out before and loved it, but refrained from commenting for whatever reason

It sounds astounding.

I'm really curious, what kind of VSTs are you using for those string/horn patches? It sounds so good and so clear.
 Also, are you using an external editor for all of that or is it just track-by-track with a MIDI controller?

Astounding =D

#30 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@Bassman2112:  Thanks, man!

The strings are part of the "Kontakt Orchestral" library that comes with Kontakt 4. They're actually samples pulled from VSL. They're cut-down quite a bit though, so it's not like you're actually getting VSL, but they're still nice sounding patches. :P

This track was put together with Cockos Reaper. I prefer entering in the values manually, so no midi controllers were used. All software. :)
#31 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@Hamst3r: Will have a look but for now I will pretend the only music program on the planet is Reason. 

Do you listen to much music with acoustic strings? At the moment i'm loving the sound of chords being played by strings.

Spotify Aaron Copland, Steve Reich, Nils Frahm & Anne Muller
#32 Posted by Vitor (2821 posts) -

Really liked the second half - very Daft Punk/Tron-esque, great work! 

Also, Audiosurf is awesome/

#33 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@Hamst3r: GODDAMN, HAM. SO GOOD.
#34 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

Awesome...also I never realized you were involved with EZ Muze: Hamst3r Edition which I own haha

#35 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

Well, SOMEONE has been watching Tron ;)
But seriously, nice work.

#36 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -

Thanks all!

@GrilledCheez01: Woo! :D

@X19 said:

" @Hamst3r: Do you listen to much music with acoustic strings?"

A bit. I don't listen to a lot of music. I used to but that changed about 2 years ago. I'm familiar with some of the names you mentioned though. :)
#37 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@Hamst3r: Why did you change 2 years ago? Saying that I think I listen to to much music and that puts me off writing anything of my own.
#38 Posted by Hamst3r (4484 posts) -
@X19:  It coincided with my change in occupation. Before then I was taking a bus to and from work, so I had a lot of time to listen to music. Now that I'm no longer doing that trip, I prefer spending my time in other ways. :P