Anime & Cartoon Megathread IV: We Must Limbo To Send This Thread On Its Way

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@gaspower said:

@nasp: Oh yeah caught up to that recently as well and I really enjoyed it. It'd be nice if it had another season considering the manga is still ongoing.

Don't worry @nasp a lot of people watched Hataraku Maō-sama, and it was generally well received. My only problem with it is that the director of the anime is a big Chiho fan - when we all know that the otp is Emi and Sadao.

Wait, is that the reason why there was a lot of Chiho fan service in the anime? Man, it all makes sense now. 0_o

Also anybody else here watching the current F/SN UBW adaptation? Liking what I'm seeing so far from the first three episodes. Its better than DEEN's adaptation that's for sure. Just kinda bummed since its the Unlimited Blade Works route because of a certain event that happens 3/4 through the story. I'm just talking about what happens specifically that bummed me out and not necessarily because the story gets worse at that point. (non-specific spoiler: a character gets killed for reasons that are similar to why a related character was going to die in Fate/Zero). Still, I'll probably enjoy the heck out of it. :D

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By GaspoweR

@bigjeffrey: So can we say for sure that Vanadis is this season's Onii-sama replacement? 0_o

Loading Video...

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By billymaysrip
Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@bigjeffrey: So can we say for sure that Vanadis is this season's Onii-sama replacement? 0_o

nah man you can't replace onii-sama. It's not even close.

#OneTrueTatsuya

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By Aegon

PositionNameVotesPositionNameVotes
1Hanazawa Kana19131Miyano Mamoru2075
2Amamiya Sora9062Suzuki Tatsuhisa1614
3Minori Suzuko8213Ono Daisuke1470
4Kayano Ai6154Kaji Yuuki1166
5Sawashiro Miyuki5705Kamiya Hiroshi1156
6Numakura Manami5666KENN992
7Inoue Marina5527Aoi Shouta800
8Tomatsu Haruka5288Shimazaki Nobunaga715
9Mizuki Nana5229Shimono Hiro460
10Uchida Maaya50710Nakamura Yuuichi436
11Chihara Minori46411Fukuyama Jun436
12Ogura Yui39812Tsuda Kenjirou430
13Asakura Azumi38613Eguchi Takuya418
14Taketatsu Ayana34514Hosoya Yoshimasa397
15Sakamoto Maaya30615Kakihara Tetsuya390
16Kobayashi Yuu28216Sakurai Takahiro383
17Tamura Yukari26917Toriumi Kousuke319
18Shimoda Asama25218Suwabe Junichi270
19Paku Romi19219Ono Kenjou269
20Takahashi Chiaki19120Yusa Kouji255

Wow, I looked up some of the seiyuu on MAL and Amamiya is at 21 having her break-through year with a ton of anime.

I've never seen anything with her in it. Is it her voice that's getting her all these gigs? Is it normal for seiyuu to get into the business with a bang?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I guess here is my MAL if anyone cares for some reason.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By GaspoweR

Anybody else watching Orenchi no Furo Jijo AKA Merman In The Bathtub? Random thought: that bathtub must be hella filthy having that merman stay there for awhile. Don't mermen also relieve themselves in the water? UGH...the horror!

Also the intro is too metal for a short form anime thats all about a merman in a bathtub. It is really out of place...and I like it. :D

Edit: I hope he really gets the TV for the bathroom in the next episode. :D

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: yeah i watched the 1st ep when it came out, i was like ewwwwww when he got in with him I mean he was living in the dirty river. seems alright i need to watch the rest.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I watched all of Madoka Magica and man does that series go in some dark places. Enjoyed it quite a bit though, it's a nice deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre.

KontX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By KontX

I really, really enjoyed Space Dandy. Especially the second season. VA Ian Sinclair did a hilarious job. I recently got into Fist of the North Star via Crunchyroll. Gotta love the 80s. Psycho-Pass 2 is really awesome so far. And I've been collecting the Ranma 1/2 Blu ray releases as they've come out. I like a lot of old and new. :)

As for starter anime Cowboy Bebop got me into the craze.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I think I would have liked it if not everything was already spoiled for myself but it is still a good show. Do you want to become a Magical Girl Arbitrarywater?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By GaspoweR

@arbitrarywater: haven't seen it yet (I'll get around to it soon!) but I know one of Gen Urobuchi's middle names is "Deconstruction"...in Japanese ofcourse! :P

I'm digging Shirobako a lot. It has a light-hearted earnestness with its portrayal of anime production. Its like watching that South Park 6 Days To Air documentary...except its an anime about making anime. Its pretty good! I hope it holds up for the rest of the season. :D

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By billymaysrip

@gaspower: Shirobako set the bar way too high with its Initial D style drift racing in the first five minutes of the first episode - the show has no where to go but down.

I'm also slowly realizing that I have a thing for anime girls with an obsession with donuts.

I agree 100%, Aoi
I agree 100%, Aoi

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I think I would have liked it if not everything was already spoiled for myself but it is still a good show. Do you want to become a Magical Girl Arbitrarywater?

Yes. I'd love to sell my soul for a hollow body and an obligation to fight the forces of evil every night until I eventually give into despair and become the evil I was fighting all along for the sake of fighting Entropy or whatever.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Daveyo520

@arbitrarywater: It truly is a blessing to be a magical girl indeed.

Also crap I should have put this at the end of that question.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Daveyo520
GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymaysrip: Ohhhh does that include Shinobu? :3 (sponsored by Mister Donut)

Yeah, that car race sequence vs. the fake Production I.G. assistant was kinda nuts. I kinda feel like whoever is making this show is projecting actual co-workers into characters. Its portraying stuff that happens in a work environment thats very relatable. Hahaha!

Also Aoi shall be Donuts-chan from now on! If she were a real person, I'll give her glazed donuts or bavarian. :D

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Everyone gets their breakthrough year. It's not so much about the initial bang than the continual longevity. Most agencies will push their newer talents vigorously at the beginning of their careers to weigh their marketability. A lot of it is also on the individual agents; if your agent is good at her job, you'll get a lot of work. After that, it's on the talent to maintain a good public image and sell himself into different lines of work other than dubbing anime (radio, event hosting, TV, ect.,). Like any other job, it's about establishing connection as you go and making the most of every opportunity. Plenty of seiyuu get off to a great start then fall into obscurity relatively quickly. It's a cutthroat industry and competition is fierce. Quite literally every newcomer out there is trying to take your job.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By bigjeffrey

Cross Ange 03 ~ Everyone dead due to Ange's incompetence. This episode was pure joy though.

Also more Monogatari being made, Tsukimonogatari in production.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Binge-watched the first 8 eps of GunxSword with a friend after finding the first two DVDs of it in a clearance bin. It really is like Trigun but with less western influence and more mechs involved.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Oooohhhh! The last book already came out as well so I'm guessing a third season + movie/OVA is in order.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How come nobody told me they were making a Rurouni Kenshin movie?

Loading Video...

I should probably finish that series one day...

Also, boy, that movie looks like some garbage.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By GaspoweR

@babychoochoo: There's three movies all in all with the first one released two years ago and then the sequel movies were split into two (one in August and then the one you just posted was last month). I dunno what the reviews are for this film but the first film and then first half of the sequel films were generally well received. I haven't seen them myself but I did enjoy watching the anime as a kid.

james_winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By james_winter

Anyone looking for a palette swap from some of the more frenetic or severely toned shows out there, I couldn't recommend either of these two enough:

Space Brothers

Hajime No Ippo

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: Damn, this is the third? Not that I pay much attention to Japanese cinema, but I feel like I would have heard about this at leas tangentially. Or maybe I did at one point and it just slipped my mind. Meh, either way, guess I might check em out one day

I used to love the anime too. Not sure why I stopped watching it. I think I just lost track of it somehow when Toonami moved to Saturdays and they had that amazing english opening

Loading Video...

Fucking classic.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Cross Ange 03 - another crazy episode. Wonder how the group will be now that Ange is a bit over her placement in life.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By bigjeffrey

Grisaia_no_Kajitsu 03 ~ haha this episode was just to hilarious

they went above and beyond in the shirt sniffing scene. Mesuring scene was also pretty awesome lol Sachi blowing gestures.

Don't worry no one was getting it on.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Redhotchilimist

Was Anime & Cartoon Megathread recommendation weekend for me this week. Saw the first five episodes of the 2012 3d Turtles show, a couple more episodes of Nozaki-kun and the Memories in the Rain Bleach OVA.

The Turtles show surprised me. I had seen some teasers for it after watching some live Legend of Korra episodes and thought it looked ugly, but seeing it in action I actually think it looks pretty. It's animated snappy, the Turtles all look good, the action scenes are cool. The inserted anime(Or more Wakfu, actually) smiley expressions over their masks looks dumb to me, though. When it comes to the show itself, my impression of it so far is that it's fine, but a little boring. As for reasons: A lot of it is in the "It's different and therefore ruined" catgory, in this case different from the old animated movie(and a small part of the animated show) that I have seen. The Turtles themselves and Splinter are fine, I quite like them. They all look younger and cooler and their behavior is on point with what I expect, with Michelangelo finding a new way to be both annoying and fun. I like them as a team. But what's with these villains, and this conflict? The Krang are doing some weird unexplained thing that so far has not been followed up on. I guess the Turtles are waiting until April's dad sends them a mail or something instead of going out looking for him? The Krang themselves are surprisingly boring. Krang had a very strong, very whiny personality and these guys can't even form a cohesive sentence. They were creepy when they first appeared, but after a while they're just boring dudes who just stand still firing laser guns. Also, why is April a kid now? Is it so Donatello can have a weird turtle to human crush on her? Because I'm not a fan of that. I don't enjoy the mutated forms of Snake and the Spider guy either, there's nothing left of their human selves in their looks. Shredder and his goons show some promise, but they haven't gotten to do much yet, for all of Splinter's backstory talk. Baxter Stockman was the most fun villain, although him being a put-upon, stupid African-American now really reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man 2s Electro. He was first, I suppose.

What it mostly comes down to though, is that the old show is goofy and dumb and silly, but the parts of it I saw were also funny and fast paced. There's a clear conflict from the get go that they follow all the way through. The villains are fun in how they work together, but constantly try to sabotage one another behind each others' backs. There's a grandmother with a machine gun. This new show is surprisingly serious, it's slow, the conflict is vague, the turtles seem to create half of their villain roster themselves, it's always nighttime for some reason and THE THEME SONG IS NOT AS GOOD AS BEFORE ARGH BLARGH. I watched Turtles the first time when I was like 5, there was probably no way I was gonna like any different take on it.

Nozaki-kun, on the other hand, is a lot of fun. The voice acting and expressions are really on point, and it's nice to see some characters that aren't these really common archetypes.

Memories in the Rain was nice too. It had surprisingly good animation on Grand Fisher in particular, which helped make him feel a bit more.. mythological, I guess? It's easy to have these guys with huge skulls feel very heavy metal. I have barely watched any Bleach, but this is one of those parts I wanted to see.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I watched all of Madoka Magica and man does that series go in some dark places. Enjoyed it quite a bit though, it's a nice deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre.

Don't forget to watch the movies. I'd watch all 3 even though the first 2 are the tv episodes.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: I watched until after the Kyoto/Shishio arc which is the arc that really matters the most and the arcs that follow after that all the way until the very end are all non-canon filler arcs apparently (no wonder I don't remember those episodes fondly 0_o).

Oh, I did some internet sleuthing and apparently they remade the Kyoto arc into a 2-part OVA back in 2011-2012 and its on Hulu, too. Now, all that's left for me to find is the 4-part OVA prequel and the two-part OVA sequel, which according to the original creator shouldn't be considered canon :/).

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Akame_ga_Kill! 16 ~ so much action, someone dying soon?

Badass transformation

Sora_no_Method 03 ~ we finally get a explination for the disk in the sky, the little girl is a alien.

Show real pretty too

oh noes drama someone got slapped

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Akame ga Kill: They didn't just kill off the best character in the show, did they. I dont want to live in a world without Bols .

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Aegon

So...what you guys are saying is that I should watch Madoka Magica? A show that looks like something I want nothing to do with?

Also I should mention that I've been watching Season 2 of Space Dandy and it's still crazy, only now with a slightly bigger budget perhaps? I'm definitely enjoying this quite a bit more than Cowboy Bebop (which I've been watching on and off). That's surprising to me. Thought I'd be more into Bebop, but I'm not very fond of the way it tells its little depressing stories with bits of the main thread rearing its head here and there.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Don't forget to watch the movies. I'd watch all 3 even though the first 2 are the tv episodes.

So is the third movie a sequel then? That sounds interesting. Where would I legally watch these?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: You should. Despite all of it's cutey magical girls it is actually a classic.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know i dont think madoka magicka is bad,but i was so bored watching that show.psycho pass made up for it though.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp: I also liked Psycho Pass a lot more but MM is still ok.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@arbitrarywater said:

So is the third movie a sequel then? That sounds interesting. Where would I legally watch these?

I don't know of any streaming options for the movies. It would all be bought through DVD or Blu Ray. The third movie is all new. I wont explain how though. However, you can get hyped by watching this trailer and the OP for the movie.

Loading Video...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I forgot to ask how you guys felt about Parasyte? I watched the first two episodes and it looks REALLY good.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: I guess it is ok. I don't think I really like it but will probably watch all of it.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@arbitrarywater said:

By buying a blu-ray disk that costs a hundred bucks

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: Aside from a few incredibly minor gripes, I think it's fucking awesome.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By GaspoweR

@babychoochoo: @golguin: Ah man I like the show but FUCKTHOSE CREATURE DESIGNS, MAN! ITS THE STUFF OF NIGHTMARES! GUUUUUHHHHHH....also that poor pooch. ;_;

@nasp: @daveyo520: Have you guys watched Fate Zero?

(also I'm asking since I just finished watching it recently so I might be annoying other duders by mentioning it again so I apologize in advance :D)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: No I have not. It will happen soonish. I liked Psycho Pass, Aldnoah.Zero and Madoka Magica so I am pretty sure I will like Fate Zero. I also need to get it out of the way to see the new show too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e99249d288ef
deactivated-5e99249d288ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started watching Shippuden after that QL with Alex and Vinny. Apparently there are 240+ more episodes on Hulu. Jiraiya and Itachi just died. Does the quality keep up or does the show lose its sense of focus?

Holy crap, I did not realize I already watched two major filler arcs. Now I'm wondering if I should skip the rest like I usually do or actually watch them.

About Naruto..you have 10 years worth of episodes. I started watching in 2006. At this point..you want to find out which seasons are the filler arcs and mostly skip them. Only the last one or two filler seasons were any good. The main arcs from the manga are excellent. Alot of people make fun of Naruto..but it's pretty good. There is a reason it's popular.

One my first anime were 3x3 eyes...it may be a little harsh for some...but as an adolescent experiencing anime beyond Macross, it was enthralling.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@golguin said:

@arbitrarywater said:

By buying a blu-ray disk that costs a hundred bucks

FFFFFFFFF. It's good to know that anime is still prohibitively expensive, continuing to justify why I pretty much exclusively stick to what is on Netflix or Crunchyroll.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I think my initial reply to you from that post should've been....

"MAN, YOU THROW DARK!"

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@gaspower: You mean to tell me you wouldn't hug these adorable lil' fellas?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided