Any Art/Music Majors Around? Come talk about it!

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By citizenjp

Well lately in my life I have been confused as to what I really want to study, for I have various talents (lol, not to sound full of myself). I love to draw, been drawing and such ever since I was little and was considering studying Game Art at a couple different media arts schools in my state (FL). BUT...all of a sudden...my love for art was beginning to turn. Not that I had completely given up hope on my ability to create art, but I began to feel like it was not the field of interest I was looking for. I guess I kind of feel intimidated considering you have to be super skilled to get into the game artist status. So, I switched out of that and am currently in a limbo-esque situation which brings me to my next point: music. 

I am a bass player. I have been bassing it up for 6 years and I love every minute of it. I also like to make beats so I pretty much make my own songs now a days and have a good grasp of the structure of song arrangements, key changes, etc. I consider myself  no longer in the n00b stages of bass, but now a Journeyman Bassplayer lol. So here's my issue: I really like to make art and aside from music, all I do is play videogames, which is why I like to draw because I like to draw videogame stuff! But I also feel like music comes more naturally to me in a way. I feel like I can be more creative with music and really get a chance to master it if I study it. But same thing with art, you know? I just don't know what I'd be happier doing because I LOVE VIDEOGAMES and I LOVE MUSIC. So if you can picture a statue of Justice with that balancer thingy? Yeah picture that with a bass guitar on one side and a videogame controller on the other. Currently the musician in me is rising up to the surface. 

So thats my story haha...any fellow artists or musicians around who want to share their experiences in their field? N00b or 1337 alike. :) 

EDIT: Oh, I'm also studying martial arts and specifically wing chun kung fu. Hopefully after that, ninjitsu because I figured it'd be badass to be a ninja bassist, right? ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm going to study something related to game art after my gap year, in regards to the intimidation,  yeah the thought that i wont be good enough is always there, but i don't want to let something like that get in the way of trying to attain something I've always wanted. I guess i just tell myself anyone can be good at art since its almost 100% practice. 

kid9bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By kid9bit

I have a University Degree in Design and I would have to say that creative fields are definitely competitive. Work really hard and do a lot of social net working. Try to find your niche. It will take tons of hard work and a lot of luck.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pirate_republic

Well, I'm only in high school now, but I'm planning on taking a few degrees in music composition. Harmony, counterpoint, that sort of thing, in the hope of one day being a composer.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By citizenjp

Thats awesome! I'm kind of aiming for the producer's seat myself. What do you play?

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pirate_republic
@CitizenJP:
Assuming that you're addressing me, piano is my main instrument. Though thanks to the joys of computers, I mostly do orchestral based compositions through the use of sampled instruments. They sound farily realistic, but nothing to a real orchestra, of course ;).

I also wouldn't mind being a mixer/producer/sound designer, but I think I'll get my composer credentials first, because that's first and foremost what I'm interested in.
citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By citizenjp
@pirate_republic:  
Heh yup I was talkin to you. :P 
Thats awesome though. I'm actually starting to learn keyboard now since beats are heavily focused on those if you want them to be unique so you gotta have options. :P
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RetroIce4

Plan to major in Graphic Design. Hopefully. I am working on a portfolio, but I don't have any pieces and I am young. I just want a job creating designs.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Hamst3r

I liek 2 maek nois and dra funnie images on mai computrr lol

Been making music for about 15 years now. Graphics about the same. Started making music with DOS software, lulz. I've had brief stints with studio hardware and "pro" DAWs but I always gravitate back to software music creation. Started drawing with pencils and moved onto pastels and oils. Eventually ditched those for a Wacom tablet and Photoshop, then ditched the Wacom and learned how to use the Pen Tool to make vector stuff. I've been fucking around with guitar for about 10 years and have not improved in the slightest, so I decided to buy a Harpejji this year - which is like a 24 string tapping guitar - as that's obviously the most logical thing anyone could possibly do.

Blarp.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By torus

I'm an architecture major. Also indie game artist. Feels good man.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I'm an architecture student. It's not quite the same, but I've become really involved in various art fields lately (I go to school in NYC and sometimes it's hard to escape it). I've got to reiterate what kit9bit said: these fields are insanely competitive. The internet is awesome because it's allowed a wide proliferation of talent, but, the downside is, it's made it even harder to stand out amongst that talent. 

You have to be willing to work insanely (again, my deal is different, but I probably average 4 hours of sleep a night during a restful semester, and that's not accounting for my job(s)) and put yourself out there, open to criticism. It's rough, but honestly, nothing is quite as rewarding as having something you created praised. 

And when I have time, I do a lot of music stuff myself. I've been playing some places and messing around, but it's mostly just for fun. The trick is to be happy with whatever you pick and find a balance.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By citizenjp
@torus:  
Wow cool man. Hows the indie game scene goin for ya?
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By torus
@CitizenJP said:
" @torus:  Wow cool man. Hows the indie game scene goin for ya? "
Well, it's OSS software. So, it's much more fun, but I don't make money at it :]
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By artofwar420

While in my first year of college I found out that I loved cgi, more especifically the modeling and texturing part of it, then I put 2 and 2 together and went "shit all these games are made by polygons, I could do this as a career". I'm going into some sort of game design program. Or maybe I'll just study whateves, because you don't really need a degree to get hired by a game dev company.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By diz

You have some good habits there! I feel I must respond.

I'll cut a long story short - I've played bass for a long time. I always really wanted to do it professionally by playing in bands. That was up until I decided to be a mature student and go to Uni so I could get a stable job instead. It was either that, or continue playing crummy residencies in an increasingly small pool of licenced  live music venues.

I did that, got a degree, then worked in computers for 10 years or so, before deciding that I was bored and trying yet another career instead. That career change was even worse than my IT jobs, so I stopped soon after gaining the post-grad qualification required for the change. Anyway, now I've decided to go back to my music that was so much a part of my life throughout my teens and twenties. 

I've recently bought some decent project studio equipment and spend much of my time recording stuff and figuring out how to use all this fantastic software (unavailable when I were a lad!) that makes recording music so easy. I've no idea whether I'll be able to generate any income from this venture, but that's not the point for me right now. I do know people (from my past playing days) that have made a success out of the music industry, but they'd admit its a hard and "lucky" business to crack with any big success.  

The essense of what I'm saying is that you should do what you feel will make you happy. I do regret abandoning playing music while I was getting financially stable (aside from the occasional strum). I'd also note that the proudest achievements I've felt have all been music related.  

P.S. I used to play with an amazing  drummer, who was also a Tai Chi teacher, which somehow made him all the more awesome as a drummer!