any ideas for a simple app/program

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By super2j

So i have been wanting to make an application for forever as a learning experience to pick up more java or C++ and potentially languages that deal in websites. I have a base in programming but i never did anything with it. I know what a class is, learned and forgot recursion etc. I need a project to work on to see if i enjoy it, because when i finish my bachelor degree in bio-pharmaceuticals, i may need to go back if i can't find a good job and pick up a new degree in computer science. But i digress, I have not been able to come up with an interesting project for me to start on.

So i came to the imaginative people called the duder's. Please suggest things that i can program or develop from scratch. I dont mind if its a new social media site (learning web design is just as important and useful) or an application that sits on your desktop and feeds you whiskey media updates. I am still seriously a noob and need platform to begin improving myself ( i also need to work out more).

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By desolation15

I think it may be easier to start with a sim game. You know, something with the numbers running in the background. Like Lemonade Stand, Drug Wars and Game Dev Story.

Make a Giant Bomb sim, where you play as the Giant Bomb crew. You have spend energy and sanity to put out new content. Doing a quick look on a crappy game will increase fanbase but takes more sanity out of you. Recover sanity by drinking alcohol (upgradeable). Run endurance runs and premium content to help increase loyalty. Make money by increasing premium subscribers. TNT, interviews, game shows, end of the year awards. Upgrade your sets, buy a kinect to review more awful games. Random events like flooding in Thailand - hard drive prices thru the roof; and snake found in fan mail - lose a Ryan. You get the idea.

Or you know... Make children games, parents will buy anything for 99 cents that'll occupy their annoying children for 15 minutes. Good luck.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

French Stewart Detector. Just a simple app that uses GPS to tell you if TV's French Stewart is around.

desolation15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By desolation15

@ShaggE said:

French Stewart Detector. Just a simple app that uses GPS to tell you if TV's French Stewart is around.

If it's real and not just a gimmick app, I would pay much monies for this.

edit: the gentleman in your avatar looks a lot like my avatar.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By super2j

lol, i think i need to look up who French Stewart is. I guess game design was also something i was eventually dabble in but it turns out there isn't too much programming in gaming. I did the research a while ago, there are applications that allow u to go in and visually design most parts of the game. if u want i can give u some info about it and your game does sound interesting but i want to pick up things that would help on a resume at some company (i bet it would even help if applying to gaming company).

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adamsons
super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By super2j

@Adamsons: sick. u may have created a new way for me to procrastinate. I have a good friend who i might be able to convince to do this with me so i have some competition.

thanks