Any Sigur Rós fans?

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theANCIENTgray

Few bands mean as much to me as Sigur Rós. They've been a leading form of inspiration since I heard them back in 2006. I can't think of any other band that has such a deep resonance in my soul. It might sound weird but there's always that one band's sound that feels like it's in tune with who you are. I was fortunate enough to see them kick off their first concert in four years last night right in my home town of Philadelphia. Words can't express how excited I was to be able to see them in concert at the start of the Valtari tour.

The setlist was pretty awesome:

1. Ekki Múkk

2. Varúð

3. Ný Batterí

4. Í Gær

5. E-bow

6. Sæglópur

7. Svefn-g-englar

8. Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása

9. Hoppípolla

10. Með Blóðnasir

11. Olsen Olsen

12. Festival

13. Hafsól

Encore:

14. Dauðalogn

15. Popplagið

And Jonsi was insane to see live. I've never seen a voice sound so similar to the studio recordings. Simply incredible.

No Caption Provided

Is anyone else planning on seeing them? Any die hard fans out there? If you've never heard of them, here's some songs to try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes. Seeing them live in Toronto tomorrow ! pretty excited.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By theANCIENTgray

@MauveForest said:

Yes. Seeing them live in Toronto tomorrow ! pretty excited.

Actually jealous I didn't get to see them a second time. Post your impressions! Have fun!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I know their music but I'm not a fan.
My ex was a huge fan however and he played it so much that I will never ever have the need to play them myself.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Philedius

Yup. I've seen them live twice. One of the times was here:

It was pretty mind-blowing. Btw, I can be seen at 3:11, dude with the red beenie hat.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

Saw them a few years ago, the first tour they did without Amiina (the Icelandic string quartet they played with). One of the best days of my life. And last year I was at the premiere of their concert film Inni in London last year; they did a really cool Q&A session that was sadly cut short because one of the lighting rigs caught fire. They seem like the humblest, most unassuming and honestly good people in the world.

Agaetis Byrjun is one of my top five favourite albums of all-time. Cannot describe how much that album means to me. I also have a poster of the artwork for Takk... in my bedroom. It's their second best album IMO.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah I'm a fan, but not as big of a fan now as I used to be.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Thoseposers

the only song i've ever heard from them was from rocksmith and it's fucking hard to play, but it is an amazing song. I may try listening to more of their stuff sometime if a lot of it is like that one

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptBedlam

Great band. I discovered them pretty late though when I saw the movie Vanilla Sky.

Yep, I love hard rock and melanchonic music.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jrinswand

I can't say that I'm a fan. I'm seeing Agalloch later this week, though. That counts for something, right?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Atlas

@CptBedlam said:

Yep, I love hard rock and melancholic music.

Me too. We should hang out.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By GeekDown

I just recently started listening to them so I can't call myself a fan just yet. I have a few albums to go through, but so far what I've heard I really like.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@Atlas said:

@CptBedlam said:

Yep, I love hard rock and melancholic music.

Me too. We should hang out.

Totally! We could bang heads and cry together!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazielCuts

Used to be but then I kind of 'got over' them, very samey after the first two albums.

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clapperdude

Saw them in 2008 when they came through Omaha. Might be the most memorable show I've been to. Was an interesting atmosphere already cause there was stormy weather with tornados, and even had some random people driving by that had to take shelter at my house before leaving. The show didn't get cancelled though, and my friend got to the venue earlier then me so he was there for the sirens going off. Everyone had to sit in the basement where the bands food and stuff was setup. I guess at one point during this the whole band walked by through the hall playing various instruments. Wish I woulda been there to see that...quite a surreal sounding moment. At some point during the actual show the singer tried to explain how crazy he thought tornados are heh.

But yea the show was incredible -- really awesome how they can pretty much play all the instruments and are constantly moving around playing everything.

Oh and just looked and saw someone had some photos of the show I was at (has a sky pic too) http://www.last.fm/event/605955+Sigur+R%C3%B3s+at+Orpheum+Theatre+on+11+June+2008

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By andriv

they lost me with the album after takk, thought they were getting a little bit to coldplay-e

amiina is way better

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By donchipotle

Thanks to the Prince of Persia 08 ads I became a fan.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theANCIENTgray

@andriv said:

they lost me with the album after takk, thought they were getting a little bit to coldplay-e

amiina is way better

It was a brief thing for them but they returned to their roots with Valtari. I'd wager to say Valtari is pretty much on par with Takk.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By two_socks

They're a pretty good post-rock band. Not my favorite, though they do have a pretty unique sound what with Jonsi's vocals.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By JCTango

@theANCIENTgray: I'm sure I've heard of them on GB before - they have a certain kind of Muse-like vibe to their tone - I like it.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By M_33

I like em'. ( ) is one of my favorite albums.

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By drace

Really big fan of the band. Haven't had a chance to see them live yet and it's too bad they aren't playing closer to me on this tour. Enjoying their new album so much more than their last one (Med Sud blah blah blah).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

That's weird, I was just thinking about them (although I had forgot their name)... but uh, no, not really a fan.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By viking_funeral

I used to be a huge fan. Ágætis byrjun was my favorite album to listen to while traveling in Germany. Was really pleased to see them at Coachella in 2006. Met a beautiful woman in the crowd, and shared a J. Unfortunately I haven't kept up with them since then, though I almost saw them again this summer.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

I feel like their more recent stuff is too happy go lucky, and cannot stand jonsi's solo stuff. I still think the unnamed album is their best.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

Only a fan of that one awesome song from the end of The Life Aquatic. Stralafur or something, don't speak Icelandic.

taco484

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By taco484

Im a big fan of theirs, I find that I really like when their music is used in film, like in The Life Aquatic, and 127 hours. I have never seen them live, but I did go to new york city to see Jonsi a few years ago.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By csl316

They've done some cool stuff, but I'm definitely not a super fan.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eskimo

@theANCIENTgray: Valtari is all harmony, but no melody or rhythm. They've been doing a lot of that lately and I'm kinda over it. Their earlier albums were much more musically interesting, with a lot more diversity in the sound.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

If you appreciate music it's isn't hard to respect Sigur Ros.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Butler

I switch on and off between them, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, and Red Sparrowes. I own með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (With a Buzz in Our Ears We Play Endlessly) on vinyl by them. I pretty miffed since I live in philly and missed their show. Post rock has become my new way of life.

theANCIENTgray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By theANCIENTgray

@eskimo said:

@theANCIENTgray: Valtari is all harmony, but no melody or rhythm. They've been doing a lot of that lately and I'm kinda over it. Their earlier albums were much more musically interesting, with a lot more diversity in the sound.

It's strange to hear you say that because I've found Valtari to be one of their most diverse albums. Very interesting textures. It holds a special place in my heart.