Anybody tried Windows 10 yet? Do you like it?

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Hey everybody! I have Windows 8.1, and I was wondering if anybody has tried Windows 10 yet and how they felt about it. Thoughts?

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@billmcneal: You got the update notification in your taskbar too?

I've got the Beta installed on an old PC but haven't played round with it that much. Seems fine, it's got a start menu, the start menu's not as good as Start8 or Classic Shell.

I'll be upgrading, probably.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Currently only technical previews are available. The actual consumer version is not out yet, that little notification is only to 'reserve' your place for the free upgrade, whatever that means.

It'll then download Win10 when it's available, and allow you to install at your own leisure.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adequatelyprepared: Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I saw the notification but it's not much more than a site-wide PM at this stage.

Do we get a free copy of XP for pre-ordering?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I surprised to see something like that pop up so soon but considering that it's just a reservation I'm not sure when it's actually coming out yet

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't tried it yet, but I was surprised to see an icon on my taskbar this morning for it. I'm hesitant to click it just yet.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

@dave_tacitus: yeah, I got the icon on my taskbar to upgrade to windows 10

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually kind of excited to see the new Internet Explorer with it's highlighting options and everything

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust: All it does is offer to take your email address and they'll inform you when W10 is released. 'Update' just takes you to Windows Update ... and the icon doesn't disappear whenever you sign up for notification.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soo.. as OP said. Has anyone actually tried it and your thoughts? Do you like it? Not people who like 8 or 8.1 though, you don't count :P

I got the free 'upgrade' reserved on 7 - 64 Professional, which I thought was only for 8 victims.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gruff182 said:

Soo.. as OP said. Has anyone actually tried it and your thoughts? Do you like it? Not people who like 8 or 8.1 though, you don't count :P

I got the free 'upgrade' reserved on 7 - 64 Professional, which I thought was only for 8 victims.

Other than 8 just being 99% the same as 7, no, this free upgrade is for Vista and up I think, and it's even for those scummy people with bootleg windows.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:
@gruff182 said:

Other than 8 just being 99% the same as 7, no, this free upgrade is for Vista and up I think, and it's even for those scummy people with bootleg windows.

Or the stubborn people with legit windows who cracked it because it yelled at me for installing a GPU.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I've gone ahead and reserved my spot. Will wait to see feedback as far as games go.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By AlexW00d

@corvak: You'd be able to upgrade anyway (I assume you're self-referencing anyway) because you have a product key.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't gotten any pop-up on my task bar.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just been having a look at the support forums and it looks like reformatting will be a bit of a pain in the arse - Install your original Windows disc - Install service pack(s) - Download W10 update.

I think making a disc image is in order come July 29th, which is the date mentioned in the blurb for Windows 10 Day.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@alexw00d: No, the free upgrade is only for 7 and 8. Vista users (the poor bastards) are SOL.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was too busy going through my morning website check routine to even notice the new icon in the tray.
DirectX 12.
Better Live integration.
Improved start menu.
All the other usual advances in OS development.
Cool, let's do this.

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I doubt I'll ever really use Internet Explorer outside of the times that it's required because some companies are dinosaurs. But it's come a long ways since it developed such a bad reputation. They've really been pushing developer support a lot in the past few years. It's not quite there yet, though, and I'm not sure they'll ever really be able to catch up to Firefox and Chrome.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I think I've said in here before I've had so many issues since I went up to 8.1 from 8 with random graphics card issues I hope 10 sorts it all out for me. Although I'm a little bit nervous about upgrading and having further problems.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not touching windows 10 until they clearly announce their pricing model. My sources indicate that Windows will become a subscription based service and I am absolutely not interested.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not touching windows 10 until they clearly announce their pricing model. My sources indicate that Windows will become a subscription based service and I am absolutely not interested.

They said this is going to be free, the consumer version should stay free and maybe they will do a sub model for Server and Professional but they better not fuck us over with a sub pricing after this thing comes out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@grtkbrandon: I like chrome a lot but sometimes streaming hitches up in chrome for me while it works smooth in IE. Not enough of a problem for me to switch to IE but if the new one is awesome then who knows. (It probably won't be "awesome")

Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, you can upgrade to 10 for free until July 29, 2016. There is no subscription. There will also be the typical packaged versions. http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-pre-orders-show-up-on-newegg-109-for-home-and-149-for-pro