Anyone Else See Wonder Woman? (Spoilers)

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just got back from seeing wonder woman! I was wondering if anyone else here has seen it yet and what their opinions were.

I really enjoyed it! ^_^ now mind you, I don't have much to compare it to in terms of other DC movies. I've seen man of steel and I thought that was just okay. I thought that gal gadot was really charismatic as WW sometimes her acting felt a bit off, but she was enjoyable to watch. ^_^ the last 30 minutes were a CGI fest. But other than that. I really liked it!

Wonder Woman has always been a character near and dear to my heart as she was a female character I always looked up to when I was little, so I guess take that with a grain of salt.

What did everyone else who saw the movie think?

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Parents going to see it, they saw BvS didn't like it so hopefully they like Wonder Woman. Also, they are big fans of the old tv show.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 1

I really enjoyed it, the 3rd act is a little weak but the overall experience is pretty good.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I want to see it....

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I really enjoyed it. I thought Gal Gadot was great. I really liked how it did both both the authentic and pure superhero ideas, like if you see something bad you have to do something, and also the had more of the deconstruction aspects, like how sometimes people aren't corrupted by evil; sometimes it's just people fighting other people. I even thought the CGI fest was good. The best action scene for me was probably no man's land. Going back to the authentic aspect of the movie, there was something kind of heartening about Wonder Woman charging into battle to stop this conflict, but they also had cool/dumb action stuff like her jumping into and destroying the bell tower. Lately the best superhero movies to me are either just really good action movies, like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, or are good on another more dramatic or deconstructive level, like Logan. Wonder Woman has good action and characters, that other level, but still has that sense of heroism that honestly not every "superhero" movie has. In terms of more recent superhero movies, Logan is still probably my favorite, but Wonder Woman is still up there for me.

In comparison, The Man of Steel is a movie that just felt off. The "walk the earth" aspects of the movie that they originally advertised was pretty short. The movie ended up focusing a lot on how Superman should hide his identity and not do any Superman-y things, like, you know, saving his own father from a slow moving tornado. The rest is kind of a big CGI mess with a dark turn at the end. I never saw Batman v Superman and from everything I've heard about it and listening to bits and pieces in a hotel room while I was listening to Giant Bomb's GOTY 2016 podcasts, I probably never will.

Having Wonder Woman appear in those other movies bums me out. Like should I actually watch Batman v Superman and Justice League, even if those other movies don't like nearly as good as this one? If they ever make a sequel I will gladly go see it. It's the rest of the DC cinematic universe that I'm having a hard time with.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It was really good; and also very against the general formatting of both DC and Marvel movies; it wasn't particularly misogynistic at any point which basically every action movie is in some way. Can't remember the last superhero movie with a serious romance plot, let alone one that actually worked (X2 comes to mind I suppose, 2003); maybe first Amazing Spiderman but that movie kind of sucked (though not entirely).

The third act works because it is absurd more or less; but it is absurd like the Iliad is absurd; a comical clash of Masculine and Feminine values, though by necessity all of the superhero vs supervillain action is demonstrated in a masculine form (though the amazing shot of walking up to the trenches is something very different than I suspect we'll ever see again; it is completely absurd of course but if a god walks amongst humans it will always be absurd). It manages to pull off absurdity without relying too much on fairly predictable humor; instead most of the humor is about Diana's naivete.

The main issues with the movie are that the Germans weren't evil in WWI, just another country; and how does WWII happen with no Ares. Now if WWII is the sequel I'm totally down for that as well as Korea/Vietnam/Iraq/Mexican Drug Wars (guest starring Benicio Del Toro reprising his role from Sicario) etc. Just do this movie in every possible setting and it would be highly entertaining. Alas it'll probably just be present day basic formula stuff; but good on them for breaking the mold so well in this instance. The first Captain America is terrible by comparison; first 40 minutes aside.

Chris Pine was obviously going to die because Wonder Woman can't have her first love aging while she doesn't and fucking her up real bad psychologically. Much easier to have the disconnect and realize the difference between god and man in a semi-convenient but undeniably heroic way.

I'll probably write up a review in a few days.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VierasTalo

@fredchuckdave said:

It was really good; and also very against the general formatting of both DC and Marvel movies; it wasn't particularly misogynistic at any point which basically every action movie is in some way. Can't remember the last superhero movie with a serious romance plot, let alone one that actually worked (X2 comes to mind I suppose, 2003); maybe first Amazing Spiderman but that movie kind of sucked (though not entirely).

I 100% agree on the bolded part not only due to what you mention but also due to the fact that this is the first comic book movie in like five years that doesn't feel like it's setting up it's own spin-offs and sequels as it goes along, despite the completely superfluous opening and closing minutes. It's really, really weird that that is a thing that sets a film apart and makes it feel fresh. Wonder Woman feels throughout like an actual honest-to-the-gods Movie instead of an installation in an ever-expanding franchise.

I really liked Chris Pine as a slightly more competent Jack Burton.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly kinda surprised by how positive the overall reaction is to this movie. I thought it was decent as far as super hero movies go, especially for DC, but I didn't think it was all that amazing. My biggest complaint was the dumb slow-mo effect in the action scenes, I felt like they just made everything look really silly.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I mostly enjoyed it! The opening minutes on her island felt a bit janky and disconnected, but it hit its stride when they got to London. The initial romance scenes felt forced but Gadot and Pine play off of each other well. I also enjoyed how singular of a force Wonder Woman herself was.

Sometimes it felt as if it was hitting some of the same notes as Captain America, in regards to doing the right things at all costs and making sacrifices, but overall it felt like a film with its own vision and definitely a step in the right direction for DC.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

@fredchuckdave: not to beat this thread off path but do you seriously think EVERY superhero movie is misogynistic in some way? Sexist sure..but misogynistic? There are elements that are specifically hateful and demeaning to women? In ALL of them?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@humanity: Almost everything about patriarchal societies is at least somewhat misogynistic; not always by design since its buried in the process of socialization (though in the case of big budget movies most of them are picked over frame by frame so it's hard to argue against that notion there). Also note I'm moderate politically; I don't value artificial changes and pretending that things have changed when they actually haven't since that doesn't solve anything. But I'm still conscious of things that are fundamentally unfair or unequal and willing to have a discussion about them though it probably exceeds the bounds of this thread. I guess for a simple point: how many Superhero movies have been directed by women?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

@fredchuckdave: I don't really wish to get into that whole discussion, but I do think there is a rather stark difference between sexism, which you are referring to, and misogyny.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was really really good! I put it in the Batman Begins/Iron Man territory but not the Dark Knight/Logan territory.

Good job, DC. Here's to hoping they can maybe put that train on the track. I'd say "steer that train back on track" but last year's movies proved they crashed the train and it is off the track. Wonder Woman is the rescue team.

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5