Anyone like unreleased music of artists better than studio album?

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By WickedCobra03

Anyone else like the unreleased, demos, underground, mixtapes better than the widely available studio albums that hit store shelves?

For example, the new Linkin Park album came out.  I will admit that "A Thousand Suns" is not the disaster that "Minutes to Midnight" was, but it is still not even close to what "Hybrid Theory" from 1999 was.  But really, how many other albums, by any artist are that good?  Even if you don't like Linkin Park, you at least have to give that to them.

And then last November (2009), Lil' Wayne dropped his Mixtape "No Ceilings", and really, I enjoyed that much more than the super popular "The Carter III".  I mean Lil' Wayne released "No Ceilings" for free.  But I would have easily paid the $15 for that album.  I am not a huge hip-hop fan or whatever, I actually ususally listen to more rock and country music, but that album had song after song that really were lyrically strong for not being super polished.

Even though the sound and mixing of these unreleased tracks may be a bit dirtier, it is interesting to hear the beginnings of some of their songs that made it to the studio album and some of the verses which were cut from the studio versions.  And even if the songs don't flow as well as the produced studio albums, they tend to be way more interesting.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

only a few.. like some The Doors or Nirvana stuff.  

usually bands with crazy singers

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

I like the demo versions of a lot of Dallas Green's City and Colour songs more than others. I keep both versions because they offer something different to the studio version.

Donkey_Kong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Donkey_Kong
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" only a few.. like some The Doors or Nirvana stuff.   usually bands with crazy singers "
Unreleased Doors Shit you say...is it against TOS to point me in the right direction? PM maybe if you're still on the thread.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jasta

Muse has alot of unreleased songs that would do great things for their live show, but since most people don't look past the main albums I'm not sure they would be as well received for the general public who just hear them on the radio.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Heartagram

Well its not necessarily unreleased but most rappers that i like I enjoy their mixtapes better than most of their official albums. HIM's first EP only made 1000 copies and thats probably one of my favorites of theirs as well. 

Some Examples. 

• Mac Miller
  • Wiz Khalifa
  • Kid Cudi
  • Lil' Wayne
  • Drake
hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By hinderk

The Arctic Monkeys have a bunch of great unreleased songs.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By WickedCobra03
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" only a few.. like some The Doors or Nirvana stuff.   usually bands with crazy singers "
I  totally forgot about that!  I bought that 3-disc boxset of Nirvana and they had that song "Pen Cap Chew" which was one of my favorite songs for months
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Donkey_Kong said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Unreleased Doors Shit you say...is it against TOS to point me in the right direction? PM maybe if you're still on the thread. "
i wasnt talking about specific albums. i just meant that i dont mind some weird-sounding bad quality unreleased records from psychedelic/grungy bands like The Doors or Nirvana.. im sure The Doors have some unreleased bootlegs and demos if you sniff around you'll find 

maybe this will help.  or this
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@WickedCobra03 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
I  totally forgot about that!  I bought that 3-disc boxset of Nirvana and they had that song "Pen Cap Chew" which was one of my favorite songs for months "
yeah man those five Outceside records have some crazy unreleased shit on em.. amazing for any Cobain fan 
also,  i really like the underground shit that Linkin Park did aswell. With>You is a terrific song
MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By MayorFeedback

Radiohead.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Donkey_Kong said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Unreleased Doors Shit you say...is it against TOS to point me in the right direction? PM maybe if you're still on the thread. "
Look for the "Alive She Cried" bootleg.  It has an INCREDIBLE version of Texas Radio and the Big Beat on it.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @Donkey_Kong said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Look for the "Alive She Cried" bootleg.  It has an INCREDIBLE version of Texas Radio and the Big Beat on it. "
http://www.discogs.com/Doors-Alive-She-Cried/master/45938
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Donkey_Kong said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Look for the "Alive She Cried" bootleg.  It has an INCREDIBLE version of Texas Radio and the Big Beat on it. "
http://www.discogs.com/Doors-Alive-She-Cried/master/45938 "
That's the one.  Mine was a proper bootleg when I got it.  Forgot that Elektra released it legit later. 
McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McSmunions

I always hated 50 cent ever since wanksta came out, but just yesterday i finally listened to Power of the Dollar and you know what....it was pretty sick.

edit: also, i wouldn't say i like it more then Illmatic but Nas "Just Another Day In The Projects" is also great for being an early version of other songs.

pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By pants
@drhans said:
" Radiohead. "
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By samfo

What constitutes unreleased?

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cnlmullen
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By EVHKwick

I know most are released, but I typically dig B-Side collections over some of the official work of a lot of bands. Bump of Chicken and Deftones come to mind.