#1 Posted by Geralt (315 posts) -

Hey...people, I need your two cents on a kinda crucial decision here. I have roughly 60 blu-ray in my possession and about 30-ish more in my "save for later" cart on Amazon.

Now I can;

- soldier on with my collection and in a few years ending up say "well, fuck me" to myself when 4k media comes around

- soldier on with my collection and be perfectly fine with my decision since HD is kinda sufficient resolution for my mortal eyes

- or sell everything I got, cash-out some of that money while I can and use it for a new gaming PC or whatever

For your consideration, I live in a country where streaming services are not available in any shapes or forms.

#2 Posted by kristov_romanov (452 posts) -

Personally I am going with the 2nd option for myself. My eyes can't really notice the difference with "retina" i-devices, so I don't think I will get anything extra out of a higher than blu-ray quality format at 10 feet.

I guess it depends on how good your eyes and funds are.

#3 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

Hd is fine for me. I'm unlikely to ever have a tv larger the the 42" one i currently own, so any leap in resolution will barely be noticeable anyway.

#4 Posted by officervanhalen (86 posts) -

@DelroyLindo said:

Hd is fine for me. I'm unlikely to ever have a tv larger the the 42" one i currently own, so any leap in resolution will barely be noticeable anyway.

Yeah, unless you're getting a massive assed TV, like, huge, you're not going to be able to tell the difference, OR, it's not going to be a big enough difference for you to care.

#5 Posted by Geralt (315 posts) -

2nd choice seems reasonable, I do agreed with all of you. But remember when we saw DVD and blu-ray for the first time?

Mind blown...

#6 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@kristov_romanov said:

Personally I am going with the 2nd option for myself. My eyes can't really notice the difference with "retina" i-devices, so I don't think I will get anything extra out of a higher than blu-ray quality format at 10 feet.

I guess it depends on how good your eyes and funds are.

well having poor vision is another thing.

i can totally notice the difference with retina displays, but i wouldn't be upgrading my TV for at least another 10 years.

for me i have the 3 times rule. if im not going to watch a film 3 times i won't buy it. i find it a pointless waste to have racks of movies i will NEVER watch

#7 Posted by ZoomyRamen (237 posts) -

@darpa: Diminishing returns will play a bigger part in the next jump.

VHS to DVD was actually mind blowing.

DVD to Blu-Ray was...It was awful when the damn things cost so much but now that they are cheaper it's much easier to appreciate the higher quality.

Blu-ray to whatever comes next will probably be minimal or at least unnoticeable for a very, very long time.

#8 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Option 2 

It's not like I regret owning all the DVDs and VHS tapes I have. Although, I don't own a single blu-ray movie yet. I've been meaning to change that though. That said, I'm a pretty conservative movie buyer. If it's a movie I know I will see many times (like the Spider-man trilogy or the Batman trilogy) then fine but I'd rather not watch a movie at all than buy it to watch it once and then have it waste space.

#9 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

I'd go with option #2.

4K is still a long ways away, and Blu-ray will hold up just fine for quite awhile. As long as all purchases are being made for enjoyment over the next few years then you won't regret any of them. All media will be outdated eventually, so even when 4K becomes common there will be another technology waiting on the wings.

#10 Posted by DeF (4801 posts) -

@darpa said:

- soldier on with my collection and be perfectly fine with my decision since HD is kinda sufficient resolution for my mortal eyes

I highly doubt we'll see a mass exodus from HD to something like 4k within the next 10 years or more. People haven't even fully moved over to HD yet. SD was around for more than half a century.

You will not be buying a new TV that takes up a whole wall in your living room to take advantage of 4k for a very very long time, believe me.

#11 Posted by probablytuna (3539 posts) -

Make a poll.

Also I suggest just keep with the Blu-Ray collection. That's what I'm doing. I only just started collecting movies in Blu-Ray and I probably have over 60 movies as well.

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

2nd option. What are some films in your save for later category?

#13 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

I'm still blown away by Blu-Rays, so that's where I'm going.

#14 Edited by stinky (1544 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Option 2 It's not like I regret owning all the DVDs and VHS tapes I have. Although, I don't own a single blu-ray movie yet. I've been meaning to change that though. That said, I'm a pretty conservative movie buyer. If it's a movie I know I will see many times (like the Spider-man trilogy or the Batman trilogy) then fine but I'd rather not watch a movie at all than buy it to watch it once and then have it waste space.

used to copy loads of VHS tapes, but then found that i never watched them. now i just dont feel the need to own movies.

i try to avoid shelf purchases, owning for owning's sake.

#15 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1524 posts) -

I think it's entirely possible that there never will be a physical 4k format. It mostly comes down to how much North American internet providers drag their feet on speed and bandwidth caps -- most of the rest of the developed world is basically there now (I think?). Even Blu-Ray is kind of a niche product -- 4k would be the Super Audio CD of disc formats.

#16 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

4k Blus are already planned and should be out in the next couple of years. 4k TVs are already on the market, albeit not in the US but they do exist and will be more widespread in the next few years as well. Streaming 4k is not going to be an option for quite awhile, maybe when Gigabit Internet is available widely.

I have quite a large DVD collection, probably around 800 discs and now over 300 Blus and still 150 or so HD-DVD. So I'd say do whatever makes you happy today. I am more selective in my buying habits nowadays but I'm sure I'll end up rebuying a large amount of my blus when they hit Super Blu or whatever the fuck they call it.

#17 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1524 posts) -

@vaportra1l said:

4k Blus are already planned and should be out in the next couple of years. 4k TVs are already on the market, albeit not in the US but they do exist and will be more widespread in the next few years as well. Streaming 4k is not going to be an option for quite awhile, maybe when Gigabit Internet is available widely.

My mistake, I had no idea that was in the cards. How are they going to be labelled? Unless the current Blu-Ray players can play them in 1080p, isn't that going to confuse everyone?

I agree, streaming 4k is nuts, but streaming 1080p (which to most people is great) is more-or-less possible today, depending on what you consider to be a credible bitrate.

#18 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Personally I love my blu-ray collection. Streaming is nice but it isn't always available and it doesn't have special features.

#19 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip: Yes 1080p is streaming today but it is not even comparable to a Blu in terms of quality. Blu-ray spec is a max of 48 mbps dedicated to Audio and Video. Youtube 1080p is somewhere around 5 mbps. I've seen somewhere that 4k blus will be about 200 mbps. For most people, Youtube 1080 is probably acceptable for a majority of people but it wouldn't fly for the enthusiast market.

I think confusing the consumers is the goal of all consumer electronics companies so I'm sure it won't make a ton of sense. But hey I get like 10 different versions of movies with some of my Blus, maybe they'll just bundle 4k like that. I've got movies with a 3d version, 2d, digital copy and a DVD all in one, why not add a 4k and a 4k 3d? lol

#20 Edited by BoFooQ (659 posts) -

I would just keep what you have, one I don't think 4K will be available or cost effective for years. Look at 3D movies, most movies still are not in 3D and most that are are just special effects added later to sucker more money out of people. Two, selling what you already have will probably not get you very much. Personally I have 300-400 DVDs and 40 blu-rays, I almost never rebuy something I own. That said I do plan on getting extended LOTR bluray sometime, and maybe starwars set. Currently though I have been buying cheap used old DVDs. My last order was swing vote, the big hit, drinking games, used cars, and 3 pack of B vampire movies and the whole thing cost under $20. When Avengers and batman goes on sell I'll buy the bluray.

this reminds me, have you seen the marvel phase 1 collection on amazon, it's $150 and you get all the movies in bluray and most in 3D, even though I own half them already I can't stop thinking about buying it for some reason.

#21 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

#3: blow it all on PC gaming. Provided, of course, that you have the bandwidth to support downloading all of the sweet, sweet games

#22 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

Just ask yourself...what ever happened to my DVD collection? Or otherwise if I did have one what would I do with it now?

On the upside, someday they'll be antiques.

#23 Posted by Geralt (315 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

2nd option. What are some films in your save for later category?

Twilight zone original series, Out of sight, Trading places, etc.You know...classics! Oh...and I love Criterion too. Expand the horizon a little bit.

I guessed I'll stay in the vicious cycle a little longer as most of you suggested. I'll be starting this topic again in five years and I want "I told you so" comments as much as this community can provide.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

1080p content will scale up to 4k TVs so well that I'd actually be completely fine with not buying movies I have on Blu-Ray again on whatever format will be common for 4k content.