Bad habit in college?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By meteora

I'm a first year in college in the first semester, and half way through our semester I'm finding some classes to be unnecessary to attend to. Most of these are really lectures, which happen to seem either like reviews or something meaningless that I rarely learn or pick anything up. I'm taking programming and web development at the moment (along with Chinese), so these happen to be more of a "hands on" and practical experience than anything philosophical and theory based (though there are some basic philosophy behind web development). So what happens? I pretty much either skip the class to shorten my day or not go to class at all if I don't find the point. I feel as though I could easily do whatever assignment or studies easier at home. 

A bit of this is either me feeling that its pointless, a waste of time or laziness. Think I should start regulating how often I skip some courses for the day? Oh I'm getting through our assignments pretty easily in my computer science courses (can't say the same about Chinese...). 

You got any bad habits?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Its only a bad habit if it negatively affects your grade. Otherwise, you just found a way to optimize your day. 

Avatar image for 40oz_to_freedom
40oz_To_Freedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 40oz_To_Freedom

exactly. You just have to figure out which classes you are capable of skipping without it hurting that all important GPA. 

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mrskidders

I spent the whole time drunk and having sex.  That was a fairly bad habit throughout the 4 years.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Arbie

Yep, I'm in my first year at Uni and I've missed a couple of lectures already. Mostly because it truly was to be a lecture and everything said would be scripted and put up on the university site after the lesson, so I hadn't really missed anything. However the same can be said for the lessons I enjoy attending, the difference is the way they are taught and the feeling of being a part of something. You should try to attend some of the lectures you see no point in just to see if you get anything out of it in that sense. Also, it comes down to whether or not you like your teachers. Fortunately all of mine are pretty awesome. But with what @StaticFalconar just don't let it negatively affect your grade. =]

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

This all depends on the attendance policy your professor is using. If attendance is not taken and not mentioned in the syllabus, then you should be left to your own devices. Provided you are doing the required work and faring well on the tests, rock on.
Read the syllabus and check for a mention of attendance and absences. Some professors are a lot more observant than you'd ever notice, and will drop your grade for poor attendance without you knowing it. 
As you are in your first year, you haven't gotten into the three hundred level classes (I assume). Those classes, providing the core of your major, should be attended no matter what. Even if boring and easy, those are the professors that can provide guidance and references to get you into the field you're studying. Make friends in those classes.

Ironically, I am writing this post as I procrastinate working on my Asian History paper, due tomorrow morning.
Fuck you, Giantbomb.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By iam3green

not doing homework / studying is a bad one. i seem to do with my math. i go to community college so there's a difference between uni and community. community college is like high school that you have to pay for.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If you're skipping those lectures on Chinese and are finding the assignments difficult then that's really not a good sign, it's easy to fall into a pattern of laziness but sometimes you just have to pick yourself up and go into the lectures despite how pointless they may seem to be.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By KaosAngel

Rarely skipped in business school, due to the strict rules. 

My biggest fear was "dating" too many girls from the university and getting something bad down the line.   

Almost every other weekend, a new one nighter.  x.x

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By meteora
@Gamer_152 said:
" If you're skipping those lectures on Chinese and are finding the assignments difficult then that's really not a good sign, it's easy to fall into a pattern of laziness but sometimes you just have to pick yourself up and go into the lectures despite how pointless they may seem to be. "
I'd like to point out that Chinese is the only class that I don'y often skip, simply because its RIGHT inbetween my two computer science courses. I normally just skip the first or last class, not so much skipping the entire day (though I have a feeling that my laziness is telling me to just stay at home and not go attend the rest of the classes). Reason why I think I'm starting to lag behind in Chinese is because... well I just sit there and don't study back at home. I'm starting to start speaking, pronouncing and well, studying Chinese at home. xD
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By melcene

Honestly, what you're doing now (OP) was my bad habit the first time around in college.  By the end of my first year, I was skipping all but one class all the time.  (It had really gotten bad after the winter break.)  Of course, that was when I had first developed my love for online gaming back in the mid 90s.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Everything you do that affects going to class or studying is a bad habit. I'm in the process of going back to school for that very reason.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Xeiphyer

Skip Smart. Make sure you know what you are missing and that you already know it or its not worth knowing. If you think you are too awesome and skip a bunch of a class and then fuck up on a test its your own damn fault. I skip a lot at uni but I keep my grades up, its just really easy to slip into a skipping habit and start telling yourself you don't need to go to the class one day cuz you never go, and then you miss important things and justify it to yourself by saying that class is shit anyways. And on and on it goes. =p

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The English department at my college won't allow you to miss more than five classes, so that's what's been motivating me to keep up with that class, but other classes are fair game to me. Especially my Sociology course, that shit bores the Hell out of me.

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrazedMaverick

Xeiphyer is right, skip only if you can keep up your grades. I skipped almost all my calc classes cause I already learned all of it, but needed to take it for med school. Aced that series.  
Also, don't think that just cause a professor records the lecture you'll get the same thing out of it. A lot of people skip class cause they think the recordings are good enough, but end up not doing well.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By mazik765

I'm second year now, and I can tell you that it WILL effect your grades. I started out that way in 1st year and you will just start skipping more and more, always finding some lame justification to why you don't need to go to classes. The biggest problems was missing a test that I forgot was going to be on that day, or because I missed them tell me what day it was going to be because I had skipped that day. There is very rarely a class I attend this year where I leave saying 'wow...I didn't need to know anything in that class!' because there is always something you will miss.

And if you are like me and managed to get through highschool by virtue of manipulating the teachers and putting very little effort in, than you (like me) will find a rude wake up in university, because the profs do not give a fuck if you pass or fail. Most of my profs will shred an essay that is handed in past the deadline and you will receive an automatic 0 on a test you don't show up for.

My advice would be to regulate or cut that habit altogether as soon as you can because in upper years it is a really, really terrible habit to have.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By FunExplosions

Giant Bomb.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Go to lecture...plain and simple.  It is so much easier to learn and retain information in a piecemeal fashion.