#1 Posted by ch3burashka (5242 posts) -

While reminiscing and nostalgia-ing, I remembered the Matrix screen saver, and now I have a hankering to set up some kind of program that would render simulations while I do homework and the like.

First, the nostalgia part: Windows screen savers were pretty dope. I had the "pipes" one for a time, spinning text at another, and the star field was a favorite. My "SSOTY", however, would the maze one. My computer had it, and I couldn't find it on other computers. You could alter some of the parameters - maze complexity, wall/floor textures, walking speed. It was dpe watching the computer meticulously figure out the maze, though sometimes you could see the end goal (a gem or something?) and the computer would alter course and continue mapping the entire place.

Now, the part where you come in: recommend some sims, game or otherwise, that can play in the background. Jeff mentioned some kind of DEFCON game that had a sim component where the world bombs itself. Preferably, something procedural, maybe abstract, but all suggestions are welcome.

#2 Posted by ShaggE (6698 posts) -

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=287920

Put this sucker on and watch for hours. It's optionally interactive too, if a ninja gets stuck or if you want to screw around with it.

#3 Edited by notdavid (842 posts) -

I had an iPhone app, but I forgot what it was called. There was a quadrupedal robot, and it didn't have a pre-programmed walking routine. It would just kind of flail around, and eventually, it would figure out which movements were required to cover the most distance as efficiently as possible. It's a pretty cool demonstration of artificial intelligence that you can have on in the background. I just can't remember the damn name.

EDIT: Found it! It's called breveWalker.

#4 Posted by JackG100 (407 posts) -

http://progressquest.com/

#5 Posted by Sanity (1944 posts) -

Any RTS game that allows for computer vs computer match ups is great for this. Can just put em on and watch wars and battles unfold.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

When I was a kid, I once loaded up a game of Mario Party with 4 computers set to 'hard' and just watched the game play out... I don't remember why, maybe I thought it would make me a better player or something.

#7 Posted by ch3burashka (5242 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Any RTS game that allows for computer vs computer match ups is great for this. Can just put em on and watch wars and battles unfold.

Speaking of, do any of the Civ games feature that? I could look it up, but...

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12403 posts) -

I'll admit that I haven't actually played around with it, but Space Engine, maybe?

#9 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

crusader kings 2 has an observe console command?

#10 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4607 posts) -

DEFCON is cool because it's got that War Room style map of the world. There used to be a free demo, dunno if there's a bot vs. bot mode on it though.

Also there's a woman weeping constantly, so maybe turn the sound off?

#11 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg: Your Picture mixed with what your post = lols

I know that you could set the original starcraft to have people fight themselves. Also I think Civ 3 might have an auto fight option where all the players are computer controlled. Don't quote me on it because I have not played that game in YEARS.

#12 Posted by Sanity (1944 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@dudy80 said:

Speaking of, do any of the Civ games feature that? I could look it up, but...

I dont think you can in Civ 5 but im not positive, dont know about the others.

#13 Posted by pakalolobro420 (42 posts) -

hey man i jus recomend you just rip that green

#14 Posted by ch3burashka (5242 posts) -

@pakalolobro420 said:

hey man i jus recomend you just rip that green

wut