jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jhevans51

There is something wrong with the WWE.

Ratings are down or flat for Monday Night Raw, WWE Network subscriber growth has slowed, the 205 Live program draws fewer viewers than Attitude Era programming on the WWE Network (and very sparse crowds watching the product live), and fan interest in the product as a whole is waning. Almost more troubling, recent attempts to create new stars from talent developed via the WWE’s NXT initiative have been more miss than hit. This has lead to repackaged feuds between older or already established superstars, and these recycled storylines have been met with large amounts of indifference and even displeasure from the WWE Universe. Reports from fans in attendance at live events also seem to indicate that negative crowd reactions to performers or story beats are being turned down by the production truck so that viewers perceive a reaction closer to what WWE creative desires for the product (Note: WWE has long turned down boos and turned up cheers for their anointed stars, but lately it seems they are piping in reactions for reaction’s sake).

Recent polling indicates that the median WWE viewer's age has risen from 28 years old in 2000 to age 54 in 2017 which seems to show that young fans are aging out of the product and not coming back. If this holds, WWE will find itself unable to sell ad space targeting the extremely lucrative 18-54 ratings demographic to major companies during their primetime broadcasts as easily as they do now, which would really hurt the company’s profitability and growth, as their TV contracts are a huge revenue stream for the company.

For a company which prides itself on finding out what’s best for business by taking the pulse of the crowd and proceeding based off what they appear to want, something is quite off. Whether it is product over saturation due to having 5 hours of network TV to fill each week and not enough good ideas to fill it, inner turmoil between the old guard and the new in regards to how talent and storylines are booked, or talent injury and/or lazy storytelling curbing audience enthusiasm, it’s becoming clear that something radical may need to be done, and quickly, to right the ship.

While the WWE has long found itself subject to peaks and valleys. The astronomical successes of the 1980’s brought along by the meteoric rise of superstars like Hulk Hogan and Macho Man Randy Savage faded into the cacophonic mess that was the early to mid 1990’s. This period was marred by terrible characters (see: The Goon, Mantaur, Bastion Booger, etc) and abysmal writing and the WWE was extremely close to going out of business completely as a result. Were it not for the WWE taking a chance by allowing their talent the freedom to take more risks in the ring and on the microphone and following the fan’s reaction to non-traditional superstars like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mick Foley, and The Rock, the WWE might currently be in the mess of failed Scrabble-tile-like wrestling federation monikers along with the NWA, AWA, and UWF.

While the McMahon’s get the bulk of the credit for the company’s successful periods, like any other sports or entertainment endeavors, largely these successes are built on the back of the collaboration between the performers and creative staff to produce engaging stories. Simply put, it is easier for a writer to write and take chances when they know that their ideas are in good hands. Likewise, skilled performers take ideas and add their character’s perspective and feeling, giving depth, breadth, and action to the words. When these pieces come together and are presented in a way that the audience can feel and become invested into, magic happens (see: Hogan/Savage Wrestlemania V; Rock/Austin Wrestlemania X7; Cena/Punk; Bryan/Authority).

From all indications, while the McMahon’s are amazing proprietors and marketers of professional wrestling, they appear to struggle with creating an engaging product that captures fan’s attention. Vince McMahon has long preferred the spectacle of a performer, which has led to numerous plodding matches featuring large, slow, technically lacking stars and other performers pushed because of their look. There are so many stories from past WWE staff members regarding Vince’s initial negative reaction to performers based on how they looked (Mick Foley) or their overall size (Eddie Guerrero), only to be proven wrong by the fan’s reaction to them, that this assumption has to be a valid one.

Stephanie McMahon leads the creative team, but her TV persona lacks the depth with which her real-life self seems to burst. Nearly every interaction between Stephanie and a babyface male superstar ends up feeling somewhat generic in that the interaction culminates in “Stephanie’s Two S’s”: the Sneer and the Slap. As the modern day WWE operates with a kid and family friendly intent, the slap only neuters the male victim, as they can have no comeuppance. The ability to strike back against an evil oppressor in a manner greater than or equal to what was doled out is an elementary key to resolving any physically escalated conflict within a story, and the reliance on this lazy, overused trope makes me wonder if Stephanie is best placed as head of creative or if she would be better suited in another company impacting role which would still highlight her incredible charisma, knowledge, and passion.

These hinderances which are rooted in the McMahon’s are not likely to be resolved as long as the family is in control of the company and it’s inner workings unless they are willing to hire some people willing to speak up with new ideas and work to convince the McMahon’s to take chances on large scale changes which could reinvigorate the fan base. There are several things that the McMahon’s and the WWE could do to facilitate this change and starting tomorrow we will take a look at some of them in depth.

Thanks for reading!

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sargon

@jhevans51 said:

Recent polling indicates that the average WWE fan’s age has risen from 28 years old in 2000 to age 54 in 2017

This has to be a typo, right? Was that supposed to be age 34? If not, the retired baby boomers love WWE.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jhevans51

@sargon: I initially thought the same thing, but it's correct apparently. They literally are going to see their fan base begin to die quickly if they don't investigate change. Same position as baseball.

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By notkcots

I think "creative slump" really nails the problem. WWE's never been more flush with top-tier talent (thanks, in part, to their aggressively poaching wrestlers from other promotions), but terrible booking actively sucks all of the excitement out of their matches. I think AJ Styles fared the best out of any of the new talent (in large part because Cena went so far out of his way to push for matches with him, helping him get over the same way he did with Kevin Owens ), but nearly every other newcomer to the main roster has floundered. Sami Zayn, Gallows & Anderson, Prince Devitt, and, increasingly, Nakamura and Samoa Joe haven't been given any interesting feuds since joining the main roster. I mean, Nakamura's debut match on the main roster was against Dolph Ziggler, for god's sake. The only wrestlers who can consistently deliver interesting new storyline angles these days are all older stalwarts like Jericho and The Miz, and I understand that's because they actively fight for more creative control.

edit: not to mention the Hardys! They've basically become set dressing in tag-team matches since returning.

The biggest shame is that the WWE is turning into a black hole of top-tier talent. A lot of the world's best wrestlers are joining for the higher pay and exposure and then are getting lost in a sea of underutilized talent. If you told me in 2014 that Prince Devitt or Gallows & Anderson would be buried by mid 2017, I would have thought you lost your mind, but the WWE just can't seem to set these guys up in compelling stories, turning them into fodder for meaningless one-off matches and grueling house shows. I respect the hell out of Kenny Omega for turning down the much more lucrative offer WWE made him in favor of sticking with NJPW. I think he understands that if he jumped ship, he'd go from having arguably the most exciting matches in the world to being just another technically good, forgettable heel.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notkcots: Yup. You really hit the nail on the head. And as a guy who owns 5 Kenny Omega shirts, I absolutely agree with you regarding Kenny's decision to stay in NJPW. I think you might enjoy with some of my potential fixes.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: Edge and Christian's podcast has really improved, though Christian's voice is NPR worthy as far as getting me to sleep goes.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, that's WWE's TV average age. Across all forms of media, I suspect it might show a much different picture. It's worth mentioning this because TV's overall viewing audience is on the older side.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaymii: Correct, but their broadcast contract with NBC Universal valuation is based off the eyes they draw via viewership. If they age out of the demographic that advertisers want and continue to see their ratings decline, it will hurt their negotiating power next contract cycle. Since they don't have PPV dollars like they used to thanks to network viewership, it could really hurt them.

Thanks for reading!

CherryBerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CherryBerry

@jhevans51: That 54 number is actually the median age not the average. It's by far the largest jump in median age but all sports median ages are getting up there in age. Wrestling is not on any of the charts for average age for some reason.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/06/05/Research-and-Ratings/Viewership-trends.aspx

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cherryberry: That's the article I linked to in one of my replies! I thought it odd that they cited the median age and not the average. Thanks for pointing out that I didn't change the term in the body from average to median, I will go change that now.

Overall it's not too surprising that with the glut of entertainment options available to soak up eyeballs, sports would begin to move into almost a "legacy" category and begin to skew older (like TV news viewership), but with WWE being a hybrid medium, it's even more strange and potentially damning to see it move so dramatically.

Thanks for reading!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So WWE has the Best talent ever IMO due to there big piggy bank, but there writing is just hot garbage ! ( Oh no Bailey never kissed a guy kinda bullshit that makes me wanna throw up ! ) At this point i just want it to die a slow death and see company's like NJPW take over the US market.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: I agree and I think NJPW knows it can make an impact here, with them scheduling an event on US soil that isn't co-branded and creating an new championship. I think WWE can get there, but not as long as the old man is alive and maintains final creative say over everything. I think Triple H has evolved his thinking in regards to modern performers not needing to be 6'5" and 300 lbs but it's clear he doesn't have the sway over the main roster booking that he has in NXT.

Avatar image for girlsdoitbetter
girlsdoitbetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good read, jhevans51.

I use to be a big WWE fan, but the shows just got so boring I stopped watching. They need a total overhaul. Their current setup is broken.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Vod_Crack

I cancelled the Network a few months ago and I haven't looked back. Not only is the current product absolutely rubbish but that bullshit regarding Mauro Ranallo makes me sick.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time one of my favorite wrestlers from NXT moves up I cry a little. I'm considering cancelling the network.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vod_crack: I'm all for Tom Phillips getting his shot at being an announcer, but it should have been at the expense of Michael Cole, not Mauro. Add in the reporting around the JBL stuff and it really makes for a bad look in regards to a company which champions it's anti-bullying efforts.

jhevans51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frodobaggins: I'm so scared for Tye Dillinger right now, it's almost silly.