Blockbuster finally closed in town, no more renting games.

generic_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By generic_ninja

Been going to Blockbuster for 13  years now renting video games that I was unable to buy, Its sad to see a place that i've been going to for years and seeing the same people over and over again leave, not only am I unable to rent games now since theirs no other rental store in town (cannot use gamefly because of Canada not being on the list) its just a horrible thing for me. 

Wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing where a store has closed down due to bankrupcy or anything like that and if their are any alternatives in canada for renting video games other then what was once was blockbuster?

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SoylentGreen

GameAccess is basically the Canadian GameFly. I stopped renting games in meatspace years ago.

gpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gpink

Yeah, unfortunately, Canada has recently come into dire straits with regards to renting games. Rogers Video has mostly closed down, if not completely, and all Blockbusters in Canada are set to close by the end of the year. The debt from the American chains was lumped onto the Canadian ones, and it's impossible for them to recover from it, so the only thing to do is to liquidate stock and close down.

The only thing I have that's left for renting games is http://gameaccess.ca/ , which from what I've heard, is slow, and hard to get new releases. And it's also kind of expensive.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

@SoylentGreen said:

GameAccess is basically the Canadian GameFly. I stopped renting games in meatspace years ago.

Yeah, but I hear if you live on the west coast it takes forever to get stuff.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheFreeMan

yeah, same thing in my town. first rogers, then one blockbuster, and then another. while I got some pretty good deals because of their closing sales it's kinda sad. we don't have netflix or anything like that so i guess we'll go to one of the smaller, family operated stores instead, but I just know that their selection isn't going to be anywhere near as good. I rented games all the time - it was how I judged what to buy most of the time or at least before demos became so commonplace - and we got movies every weekend for family movie night. bummer.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SoylentGreen

@yoshimitz707 said:

@SoylentGreen said:

Yeah, but I hear if you live on the west coast it takes forever to get stuff.

It does, but I suppose it's better than nothing. I'm actually thinking about canceling my subscription, but if you need to rent games, they're pretty much the only game (no pun intended) in town.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

Mine closed a few months ago, it's still abandoned. My pizza place shares a little plaza with it, along with a work-out place (that relocated), a pharmacy (that closed), and an old timey ice cream social... that also closed. The coffee place is still going strong, though.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

Where I live I simply use my library, it may take them a month or so to get new releases..But hell! it's free!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

There's still a Blockbuster in operation in my neighborhood, though I've never actually been inside it. At this point, I'm afraid of what I'd find in there.

SkylarTrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By SkylarTrace

I thought the whole Blockbuster chain closed up when 2010 started...