Board and Tabletop games

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Fistoh

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, not exactly sure where this could have gone, can't really go wrong here though, right?
But yeah, I love board and tabletop games, I actually think I enjoy them more than video games. What are your favorites? I personally love Monopoly and Diplomacy for board games. Risk is alright, never really clicked with me though; GodStorm is pretty cool, I will admit. In terms of tabletop games, I'm not too experienced, but I love D&D, currently have only played 4th edition, but I own all the Pathfinder (D&D 3.75, basically) books, and after my group's current 4e campaign is over, I'm going to DM a Pathfinder game, and I'm also looking to play Call of Cthulu, Aces & Eights, and kill puppies for satan. 
Also, if anyone wants to get a D&D game going, or if anyone wants to get into it, we could start a game on MapTool or something :D
So what about you guys?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot
@Fistoh
Did you tried Risk: Legacy? It's my favorite Risk game! And actually... The only one that i like. I'm trying to get more boardgames, so i usually watch the reviews in the Dice Tower channel in Youtube, it's pretty fun.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jay444111

@MikeGosot said:

@Fistoh: Did you tried Risk: Legacy? It's my favorite Risk game! And actually... The only one that i like. I'm trying to get more boardgames, so i usually watch the reviews in the Dice Tower channel in Youtube, it's pretty fun.

Isn't that the one which can only be played 14 times and then it's done?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Daveyo520

I have been getting into D&D recently, fun stuff. I have also have interest in tabletop games but they are too expensive to get into fully.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By artelinarose

@Daveyo520 said:

I have been getting into D&D recently, fun stuff. I have also have interest in tabletop games but they are too expensive to get into fully.

Infinity is retardedly cheap if you're looking to get into tabletop wargames. <$130 and you're set. The rules are free on their website.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

@Artemesia: While I like tabletop stuff I like other stuff more and put my money towards that.

Avatar image for just_an_other_muffin
Just_an_other_muffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of Pathfinder but I huge supporter of 4.0 have run multiple campaigns with the 4.0 system. The bi-weekly game that I run is off the wall crazy. A by-product of having players with short attention spans all of us liking really dumb stuff.

@Fistoh: If you are going to run a game online, I suggest Roll20. It is the best virtual tabletop out there. It is in open beta now and will be free whenever it fully launches in last August.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fistoh
@MikeGosot: No I have not tried Legacy, from memory, the only ones I've tried are original, GodStorm, 2210, Star Wars, and Onyx (which is the original, but more expensive... and BLACK) 
Also, same deal here with tabletop strategy games like Warhammer, looks crazy awesome, but also CRAZY expensive... and you have to paint them and.. ugh... too much work for my lazy ass.
@MasterHelion: I'll be sure to check it out, but I love MapTool, and I don't really see myself changing :3 
I also just want to say that if anyone is interested in getting a game going, I'll only DM if nobody else wants to, I'd prefer my first DMing experience (like I said, I'm fairly new to RPGs) to be with my real life friends, but I'll do it if no one else wants to for sure.
EDIT - I just looked up Risk: Legacy, and holy shit, that looks freakin' awesome, I'll be sure to try it out as soon as I can.
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Patman99

If you like boardgames you should watch Tabletop. It is a great show that showcases a bunch of fun games. I personally have started collecting and painting a Warhammer 40k army but I also love most boardgames. Some of my favourite are: Summoner Wars, Stronghold, Dungeon Run, and Munchkin. I've dabbled in D&D and other pen and paper RPGs but can never manage to get a consistent group going.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MC_Hify

I've done a bunch of tabletop gaming. But for me the best part was always hanging out with my friends and joking around with each other. The games themselves I'm tired of now, because every system I've tried punishes creativity and excitement and rewards boring gameplay.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot
@Jay444111 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Fistoh: Did you tried Risk: Legacy? It's my favorite Risk game! And actually... The only one that i like. I'm trying to get more boardgames, so i usually watch the reviews in the Dice Tower channel in Youtube, it's pretty fun.

Isn't that the one which can only be played 14 times and then it's done?

No. The first 15 times you play the game, the rules can be altered. After that, you've made your own set of rules, and can only play by that set. The first 15 times are the most fun, since you want to change the rules to your favor, but it works as a perfectly competent Risk game after the first 15 times. Also, you can name the continents you conquer. That's too awesome.

@Fistoh
Risk: Legacy is pretty cool, but it takes some dedicated friends. It's way more fun if you always play it with the same people.
Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fistoh

Just started watching that episode of TableTop, its fun so far, and now I really want to play SmallWorld :3.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

My favorite board game is Supremacy: The Game of Superpowers. It's similar to Risk but with a stock market, nuclear weapons and a bunch of other variables.

The Longest Day took a long time to set up
The Longest Day took a long time to set up

My favorite table-top wargame is The Longest Day from Avalon Hill. It wasn't a fast moving game as you can imagine, but it was a lot of fun back in my grognard days. Here's a video review by a guy on YouTube. It really taught me a lot about WWII history.

My favorite table-top RPG was Shadowrun. It's sad that there aren't more video games set in that rich and captivating universe. I liked it much more than AD&D2.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fistoh

So is anyone interested in getting a D&D game going? I'm itching to get into another game...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've played D&D (4th and a bit of 3.5 but I hate that), Star Wars RPG, Shadowrun, Exalted and World of Darkness. The one I've stuck to for the last three years is World of Darkness, I ran a year long Hunter/Geist game, then a big mix game that turned into Mage and then kind of drifted away. Since then I've played Werewolf and Changeling, and they're alright. Me and this other guy just started a Hunter game that we're going to trade off DMing for, because he can't always write enough and I make super complex political scenarios that never get resolved because no one has the time or interest to dig in there.

As for board games, I've played some Arkham Horror (takes too damn long and requires way too much groupthink), Pandemic, Civilization, the basics (Risk, Catan, Axis & Allies) a few card games (your Magic, Warcraft, etc). Board games are alright, but it's the storycrafting part of tabletop that I like.

I'd really like to play Shadowrun but my group doesn't give a shit and doesn't have the time to actually get invested in the fiction. That's why World of Darkness works best for them, I don't have to explain what Philadelphia is.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PeezMachine

My staples are: Settlers of Catan, Twilight Imperium (it's essentially Master of Orion and awesome), and Arkham Horror (a cooperative game).

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013

I think the section you were looking to post this in would be the Real Message Board.