Breaking News: Phillip Kollar Leaves Gameinformer

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

Edited By TOYBOXX

Both Twitter and personalities from the Gaming Community alike are wishing Phillip Kollar the best of luck in his next venture. In his post made to the fans, he expresses his move from Gameinformer to an unknown venture - possibly Giantbomb? One can only wish:

" I can't talk about what I'm doing next yet -- though I promise that it's awesome -- but I did want to take a few moments of your time to gush about how much I've loved my time at Game Informer and why this is such a special publication. " ...
"A final thank you to everyone who's made my time at Game Informer so awesome, whether you're a co-worker, a reader, a developer, or even just some jerk who liked arguing with me from time to time. You're all awesome in your own ways, and I hope you'll keep in touch with me on Twitter. See you soon!"

On behalf of all Gamers out there, we wish you luck Phillip. Wherever you go may it be as enjoyable, if not better, than Gameinformer.

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By TOYBOXX

Both Twitter and personalities from the Gaming Community alike are wishing Phillip Kollar the best of luck in his next venture. In his post made to the fans, he expresses his move from Gameinformer to an unknown venture - possibly Giantbomb? One can only wish:

" I can't talk about what I'm doing next yet -- though I promise that it's awesome -- but I did want to take a few moments of your time to gush about how much I've loved my time at Game Informer and why this is such a special publication. " ...
"A final thank you to everyone who's made my time at Game Informer so awesome, whether you're a co-worker, a reader, a developer, or even just some jerk who liked arguing with me from time to time. You're all awesome in your own ways, and I hope you'll keep in touch with me on Twitter. See you soon!"

On behalf of all Gamers out there, we wish you luck Phillip. Wherever you go may it be as enjoyable, if not better, than Gameinformer.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By FateOfNever

Whaaaaa?! Phil's leaving?! But.. but.. but.. what about the Reiner and Phil Show? Surely that can't actually become the Reiner and Dan show, right? I hope they don't scrap that completely. I'll miss Phil from GI. This is (somewhat) sad news. It would be more sad if he wasn't leaving of his own will though because he's going on to do something else that he claims is awesome.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By AssInAss

I remember him from 1UP. Gameinformer is the worst, being owned by Gamestop, it's the most obvious example of not having any editorial integrity. Glad he's out of there.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By vinsanityv22

Nertz. But, wasn't he part of the Super Replay Showdown!?! I guess we know now that his game didn't win :(

Gameinformer.com is a weird place. I dig their video content - their "Replay" and "Reiner & Phil play..." segments are like GB's Quick Looks (but obviously nothing could be as entertaining) -, and they sure do seem to pick up most mainstream news stories before anyone else (For the non-mainstream stuff though, Siliconera is king). Their reviews are all over the place though; sometimes I agree, sometimes I can't fucking understand what they hell the reviewer was thinking. But I'll say this - for a site owned by Gamestop, they sure as shit had WAAAAY less ads than IGN. And for that, I'm super grateful.

I wish him luck, wherever he goes next.

CelShader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By CelShader

Yeah. GI's web video content is very good. When I'm all out of GB videos I go there. Super Replay is great. I only started following GI because of Phil leaving 1up, as I was a listener to 1up FM. I wish him the best in his new venture.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Example1013

Yeah he's coming here to take Brad's old spot.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By devilzrule27

Who?

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By UitDeToekomst

i wish the guy well, but i didn't find his work at GI (the only place that I know him from) to be particularly compelling. He seems to have similar tastes in games as I do, but I never really dug his reviews or his reasoning behind them. The 'Reiner and Phil' thing was decent for a while, but they seemed to veer toward trying to be entertaining rather than actually being entertaining by around the time they did that CSI game toward the end of last year. anyway, good luck, fella.

boylie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By boylie

Wait, WHAT?!????

Just kidding, I have no idea who that even is.

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By thecablekid

I love 1UP FM, I wish that would start up again but Nick S works for Sony now.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski

Liked what he did when he was with 1up - 1up FM was a good podcast.

CelShader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CelShader

Just tweeted at Phil..

@pkollar been following you since 1up FM. Hope you are going somewhere with a podcast.

@CelShader fairly good chance of that :D

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By EuanDewar
@CelShader

Just tweeted at Phil..

pkollar been following you since 1up FM. Hope you are going somewhere with a podcast.

CelShader fairly good chance of that :D

Nahhhhh...
CelShader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CelShader

@EuanDewar: huh?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By EuanDewar
@CelShader Nothin', just a thought.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

Why is it that every time some gaming journalist leaves a publication people here start wishing them to come over here like giant bomb is some sort of gaming disposal. I wish him all the best but I don't want him here because of that gb still needs time to see where they stand and where they go from here and also I think someeople within the gb ranks should be premoted to a more active role then letting outsiders the keys to the door.

CelShader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CelShader

Sorry, but to think of Phil as someone who belongs to the "Gaming Disposal" is discounting him. If he came to work for GB I would think of it as cherry-picking staff from another organization... While I never said anything about him coming to GB, I would not be disappointed if he did.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By MrMazz

I'd bet its Vox Games because why not

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai

@CelShader: You completely misread my post. I meant that every time some gaming journalist leaves a major publication you have people here who think that they are perfect for GB and they need to come here like there's no other places he can go. That's what I meant that some users here treat this site as some sort of haven or a gaming disposal unit.

I also did not discount him in any way. All I expressed that personally I think GB needs to first situate itself and see where they stand before they start bringing new people in. Also, I don't think the guys right now are thinking of bringing new people in because Gb is still a rather small venture and it's just not big enough to necessitate bringing new blood.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By rentfn

I really liked him on 1up and i've enjoyed his stuff in game informer. I wonder what he will be up to next. He is really nice on twitter and responds to a lot of my questions.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

It seems every time that a journalist leaves a game publication, and they cannot say where they are heading, they end up working in PR for a publisher.