Buying used isn't always bad right?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

So as you may or may not know I recently picked up the first two Assassins Creed games as well as Alan Wake used for very cheap. Now I am normally one of the biggest, loudest assholes when it comes to telling people not to buy used (seriously, check out my post history and you are bound to find more then a few examples). However, Assassins Creed 2 and Alan Wake both have quite a bit of DLC and I am planning on buying it. I will also be getting American Nightmare later on when I finish Alan Wake. Apart from that I will now pick up both Assassins Creed 3 and the next Alan wake when they release. Does this not show that buying used isn't always bad as it does still lead to the developers getting money? Or am I just looking for ways to justify my evil? Do you peeps have any other examples of how used games aren't always a bad thing for the industry?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

It's never been as evil as people make it out to be. It is messed up when people buy a new game used for the 5 dollar discount but for older games I don't think it's a big issue. Plus like you said you got 2 olde games for cheap and have committed to the future of the series. Im sure they are ok with that

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

I think its more than a fine choice and I think consumers SHOULD have a choice. But like you mentioned now you get to try out the first couple AC games and are thrilled and now want to invest further into the series with the new one. I think its a fine way of trying out series that you might have missed on. End the end thats a win/win. You got to try new games cheaper and Ubisoft most likely has another sale for AC3.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Contrarian

It is never, ever a bad thing. Buying used is reasonable and fair and entirely the decision of the individual. I have a long history of being an arsehole and shouting that.

I purchased Assassin's Creed 1& 2 used as well. Lucky I did as I didn't really like them much.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Zippedbinders

The way I see it is you buy new whenever you can. Particularly if you'd like support a specific developer or genre. But, there's nothing wrong with picking up some cheap older games for used prices. Over the past few months I've been checking out older used FPSs I've skipped over the years. Been thinking of writing something about it.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Philantrophy

I think buying an old game used should be no problem, the game itself is usually marked down. In your case you are going to buy the DLC so they get some money anyway.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TwoLines

It has been forbidden by the gods of yore to distribute, and yes, to purchase any physical goods you possess. You cannot do as you please with anything you own, even your money. The power of the universe compels you! Rules are rules. Good day sir. I said, GOOD DAY.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By prestonhedges

There's nothing wrong with buying a used game. You're a consumer. You have no reason to feel bad if your money doesn't go straight to the developers. It's their problem.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By Slag

@Contrarian said:

It is never, ever a bad thing. Buying used is reasonable and fair and entirely the decision of the individual.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

It is not a bad thing. I simply do not have the money to spend on new games, unless they are things I REALLY want - like The Witcher 2 Dark Edition (99$) - or if they're game I can see myself spending a lot of time on (Kingdoms of Amalur). I just got Vanquish for 15 dollars, since I found that game a little hard to find for a price that low. I plan on getting RAGE next for 9 bucks.

I bought Alan Wake at full price because Remedy is a developer I want to see do well.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By ez123

Nah, it's not bad but it's also not bad when publishers fight against used games. When it's all CD-Keys next gen, I'll be okay with it.

Have fun with AC1, I played that this year and thought it was very cool. Repetitive but interesting and it ramps up at the end.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By jjnen

You're an asshole for trying to justify your double standards.

And buying used isn't evil. That's just how the market rolls.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grimace

There's nothing wrong with buying used. Stores usually overprice games that have been on the shelf for 3-4 years and a lot of it isn't readily available new.

Don't listen to people like Colin Moriarty over at IGN who believes people who buy used games are entitled. Consumer choice is important and it's a shame we'll see it slowly eroded over the next few years.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By onan

After a certain point, publishers and developers tally up everything they've made on a title and consider it "done." Those are the revenues for that title. Realistically, they're not going to see more than a 10-20% increase over the months or years after that release without a re-release or some other refresh to the title. Any money they make after that is just gravy.

I try to buy new so I can be included in that tally. When it's at the point you can pick the game up for a song, though, I don't feel guilty about it at all. I think most developers would rather people play their games for free if it were to come down to that or not ever playing it at all.

It's when a company like Gamestop interferes with the natural sales cycle by introducing cheaper alternatives to buying the game new to the market in order to reap profit off of something they added no additional value to, that's gross.

Buying a game used on ebay, though? You and the seller may as well have gone halvesies on it from day one, and there wouldn't have been a single thing wrong with that. They probably purchased it only because they were confident they'd be able to recoup some money from it, and you weren't going to buy it new. Without used sales, that initial sale would have never happened.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By FesteringNeon

Everyone will justify their motives as being "ok" in their mind, somehow.

In my justification of it being ok, comes from the potential purchasing of a sequel down the road.. and depending on interest level, will determine if that next purchase needs to be made asap, or if I buy it used.

Also, I love buying retro games, so I say.. reward those who take good care of their purchsed stuff as well.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Winternet

Why would used games be bad to the industry?

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ExplodeMode

You are never in the wrong for comparing prices and going to the place that has the most attractive deal, even if that place is just a dude.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Wemibelle

Like many of the people in this thread, I agree that buying any game more than (let's say) a year old used is the smart thing to do. As the games get even older, like the PS2 era, trying to buy some specific titles new would be crazy expensive. Why should you be forced to pay more than the original cost of the game just because there aren't many unopened copies anymore?

I buy all of my more recent games new though, especially nowadays with the online passes that many have.