cant get any gamepad to function properly on my macbook.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

I have tried three different controllers and they just wont work right. Basically the inputs either don't work or they get scrambled up like the down dpad button will be start and weird stuff like that. All the controllers are properly recognized by steam. I used a PS3 controller, 360 controller and a PS2 controller. Ideally I just want to use my PS3 controller over bluetooth which works fine in steam but becomes screwed up when I get into a game. I'm willing to settle for any functioning controller at this point.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zella

For a ps3 controller I use MotionJoy on my PC and it works perfectly, not sure if it's available on Mac though.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Devil240Z

@Zella said:

For a ps3 controller I use MotionJoy on my PC and it works perfectly, not sure if it's available on Mac though.

PS3 controllers are supposed to work natively in later versions of OSX.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beeftothetaco

I'm surprised your games work at all on your Macbook.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Devil240Z

@beeftothetaco said:

Huh? Super Meat Boy and Cave Story+ run great on it. I just wish I could play with a controller.

Basically I'm treating my Macbook like a bedroom console/handheld thing. My PC/PS3/360 are all in the living room so I wanted to have something to play when I'm huddling for warmth in my bedroom on cold winter days. Pretty much my macbook is my Humble Bundle machine.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jdh5153

@Devil240Z said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Huh? Super Meat Boy and Cave Story+ run great on it. I just wish I could play with a controller.

Basically I'm treating my Macbook like a bedroom console/handheld thing. My PC/PS3/360 are all in the living room so I wanted to have something to play when I'm huddling for warmth in my bedroom on cold winter days. Pretty much my macbook is my Humble Bundle machine.

Hmm..not sure, but you could always dual boot windows and try the gamepad on the windows side. I run Steam on the windows side of my MacBook and everything works great. Then I play Mac games (Diablo III, Guild Wars 2, etc) on the Mac side.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

@jdh5153 said:

@Devil240Z said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Hmm..not sure, but you could always dual boot windows and try the gamepad on the windows side. I run Steam on the windows side of my MacBook and everything works great. Then I play Mac games (Diablo III, Guild Wars 2, etc) on the Mac side.

I don't really have any interest in doing that. I already have plenty of mac compatible games to play. If I really wanted to play a windows game I would just use my PC.

Avatar image for the_moorasaurus
The_Moorasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By The_Moorasaurus

There are a couple of tutorials in forums across the internet that will tell you just how to set up your ps3 controller, it has some weirdness involved so just following someone's instructions is probably the easiest way. I would post you a link but I'm on my phone. I found one without too much trouble. Rest assured, it is possible and you don't have to download anything.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Devil240Z

@The_Moorasaurus said:

There are a couple of tutorials in forums across the internet that will tell you just how to set up your ps3 controller, it has some weirdness involved so just following someone's instructions is probably the easiest way. I would post you a link but I'm on my phone. I found one without too much trouble. Rest assured, it is possible and you don't have to download anything.

I had no issue setting up the PS3 controller it just doesn't work right. Thats why I posted here after all my internet searches failed. I'm using a PS2 controller with a USB adaptor which works fine with some stuff but not with steam games. And I tried using a wired 360 controller after downloading a driver for it but it was a failure too, it would probably work as well as the ps2 controller but when I play a game like super meat boy the buttons get all mixed up.

petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By petedee

@Devil240Z said:

I had no issue setting up the PS3 controller it just doesn't work right. Thats why I posted here after all my internet searches failed. I'm using a PS2 controller with a USB adaptor which works fine with some stuff but not with steam games. And I tried using a wired 360 controller after downloading a driver for it but it was a failure too, it would probably work as well as the ps2 controller but when I play a game like super meat boy the buttons get all mixed up.

Controller support is very patchy under OSX, the PS3 tricks that worked under Lion no longer work under Mountain Lion and few developers support the 360 pad. For Super Meat Boy you they put a FAQ up for OSX players to get started http://supermeatboy.com/115/Things_every_Mac_user_should_know___/ which includes info about controllers and what not.

Basically it depends on the game as to the controller to use, check the games forums (and sometimes blogs) and make sure that it will be supported before you buy anything and if you are really serious about gaming with your new hardware a windows install will make life infinitely easier.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Devil240Z

@petedee said:

@Devil240Z said:

Controller support is very patchy under OSX, the PS3 tricks that worked under Lion no longer work under Mountain Lion and few developers support the 360 pad. For Super Meat Boy you they put a FAQ up for OSX players to get started http://supermeatboy.com/115/Things_every_Mac_user_should_know___/ which includes info about controllers and what not.

Basically it depends on the game as to the controller to use, check the games forums (and sometimes blogs) and make sure that it will be supported before you buy anything and if you are really serious about gaming with your new hardware a windows install will make life infinitely easier.

Thanks. Also I have had this macbook for like 5 years. I have Windows machine that I built for games. I just want to play some light stuff on the macbook when I'm too lazy to go into the living room.