Can't stop chewing ice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a terrible habit of chewing ice. I do it without thinking despite trying time and time again to not focus on not chewing. It's terrible for my teeth and also terrible for winter weather. The only things that can deter this would be using a straw all the time, not getting ice in drinks, or having over-sized ice cubes that I can't crunch. I've tried to just use straws but I will still absentmindedly shake some ice in my maw and chomp.

It's seriously a problem in that it was easier for me to quit smoking (cold turkey, too) than it is for me to stop chewing ice.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sounds like an incredibly painful habit, well it would be for me anyhow.

I knew someone who quit smoking by deshelling and then eating sunflower seeds in his mouth. Not sure if that would help here, but worth a shot? maybe? idk

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I used to chew on ice a lot too. I guess I just stopped using ice as often for a while and now when I've got ice I don't even think about chewing it. Never considered it might be a bad thing though, and I didn't stop because I wanted to stop chewing ice. :s

I dunno, maybe just stop using ice. Get a jug that has a filter on its spout so you never get ice when you pour, or stick your drinks in the fridge or something. Like, not your cup, just the jug or bottle or whatever. Or change the way you drink so you never get the ice in your mouth? Sip insteada gulp.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard that chewing ice is a sign of low iron. Eat more Flintstones vitamins! ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just thinking about chewing on ice gives me the shivers. Same with biting frozen ice cream. I guess I just have weak teeth?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have sensitive teeth, and this thread is nightmarish.

Invo1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My mom did the same thing when I was growing up. She later found that she had a severe iron deficiency. I second the multi-vitamin advice!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for it to turn into water and then chew on it

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You and I are opposites. I'm mildly cryophobic. Touching ice, hearing it screech, especially having it touch my finger/toenails/tongue/teeth... the closest thing I can describe it to is like nails on a chalkboard x 1,000 for most people. Difficult to explain, but my brothers would torture me by putting ice cubes down the back of my shirt or chewing on them near me when I was younger.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Touch her shoulder.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat I used to chew ice every time I had ice water. It wreaked havoc on my teeth.

I suggest popping a piece of sugarfree gum, then letting the ice water stiffen it in your mouth. When you get the compulsion to gulp up one of the ice cubes with a swallow, chew on the hardened gum instead.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: Could you do something like getting into a habit of crunching on baby carrots instead of ice?

I had an uncle that chewed ice all the time. Shattered his molar. Maybe that'll help too?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not be a downer or anything, but that could seriously be a sign of Anemia.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to everyone for giving advice. I have looked into the iron deficiency theory in the past and found no change in my desire to munch on some solid water crunch.

@mlarrabee: I'm not sure how often I'll find myself with a stick of gum, let alone a sugarfree one.

@toxeia: I'll try to incorporate more carrots into my diet, but I think it's a habit of what I have on hand and not "substitute this for this".

@poppduder: That sounds terrifying. I wonder how you feel about snow and/or sleet.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Haruko

I've heard that chewing ice is a sign of low iron. Eat more Flintstones vitamins! ?

Legit what this duder says you have an iron deficiency its "the" symptom for that.

VoodooTatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because the man chews ice doesn't mean he is deficient in iron. That could be the case but people saying "that's it!" are wrong. I chew ice all the time and believe me my iron levels are great. I just like chewing on ice.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@burncoat said:

@poppduder: That sounds terrifying. I wonder how you feel about snow and/or sleet.

I feel very strongly against them. I live in Chicago. I basically just develop tunnel-vision when I go outside. I pay/bribe people to clean snow off my car/shovel, etc.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Alright folks, we're now veering into medical advice territory. I think all that can be said has been said in this topic. Burncoat, see a doctor if your ice habit worries you.