Car Salesmen

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Rayeth

So I'm finally in the market for a new car and I'm wondering what fellow GBers feel about the process or if any of you have stories.   Specifically the salespeople.  I really, really HATE the pushy salespeople at Gamestop, so you can imagine my trepidation at trying to look at cars.    The stereotype is of a super pushy overbearing guy in a tweed suit trying to push you out the door with a clunker for way more than its worth.  And clearly in a purchase of this size, you want to be careful.

So far my experiences haven't been terrible.  I have met a couple great characters (including a guy who lists his occupation as cowboy on his dealership business card), but no horribly pushy people.  In fact, the problem I am having mostly seems to be that the salespeople seem to not take me very seriously.  Has anyone else had that problem?  Or any other interesting tales from the lot?

Avatar image for riceeatin2010gt
RiceEatin2010GT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RiceEatin2010GT

I also cant stand car sales people when they either A know less than or B dont cant take me seriously.  My best advice to you is ask your friends and family if they know someone theyve bought a car from before to help you.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Organicalistic_

Buy a new used car, it is cheaper

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

look around for a place that has a great name. it is where i bought my car. i suggest u actually buy a new car instead of buying a used car. just look for a car that interest u and look for reviews from drivers, safety statics.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

You are posting on the wrong website.  98% of the people here know nothing about cars. 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xMP44x

While I don't drive, I like cars and I'm interested how this moment in time will play out later in my life. I'd suggest you go to one of those incredibly dedicated sites - you know, the Ford ones that ban Chevy owners, or vice versa - and ask some questions. Make sure and be thorough because these people love discussing their wheels and they'll likely want to help you in the chance you become part of their community. Also, make sure you buy from a decent manufacturer, even if it doesn't have the coolest lineup. While an Alfa Romeo might look awesome it'd be something you'd need to research before taking the plunge. 

Personally speaking I would go around some local dealerships and see if they are selling used cars, and then try and haggle. They don't have a fixed price so you can try your damndest to rip them off. Good luck, and if you need to find some cars sites, use Google and look at some of the forums! ;)

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TheHBK
@iam3green:   nah son, buying a new car is a bad idea.  Insurance is typically higher and a used car is cheaper and if you get one that is known to be reliable, you'll be ok.  A new car loses its value way too fast to be worth it.  Usually your loan gets to a point where the car is not worth what you owe, but on a used car that doesnt happen because there isn't some dramatic drop in worth.  I wish someone had told me this when i got my first car.

first tip 
know what you want.  What kind of car, what it should have, what you dont need.  Dont let them push you into a car that has extra shit like leather seats or something like special rims that you dont need. 
second tip 
look up the car you want on the kelley blue book website to see how much that car should be selling for at a dealership and how much it sells to them to negotiate better. 
third tip 
do not buy the first day you are looking or your first day there.  walk out and let them simmer over what you are willing to offer, comeback and deal with the same person and dont deal with more than one person, they are just ganging up on you.  Always bring someone along that has purchased a few cars before. 
fourth tip 
go to a regular dealership that specializes on the brand of car you want.  Do not, absolutely do not buy from those dealerships that are full of used cars from all makes and models. 
 make sure you read what is on the sticker, that sometimes they try to push on you stuff like VIN etching or seat sealer, that shit is useless and make sure they dont do it or charge you for it.