Clubs, Pubs, and Grub to recommend in London....

saxmusician20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By saxmusician20

My wife and I are planning to go to London and I would like to ask the GB community of clubs, pubs, and cheap (but good!) places to eat in London. Thanks in advance!

No Caption Provided
eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By eugenesaxe

I think they have a McDonalds.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By AdzPearson

If you're into Japanese food (Ramen, Katsu Curry), there are plenty of Wagamama restraunts scattered around. I personally know of two; Tower Bridge and Canary Wharf.

Other than that, not really sure. I've only been to London a few times.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Depends which area you are in. If you head up to Camden then the Camden Lock is a great little pub, fantastic food (The sunday roasts are amazing) and good beer. The Hawley Arms is up there, too, great atmosphere in that pub. Apparently that's where Amy Winehouse used to frequent before she... y'know... killed herself.

If you are more central, Oxford Circus/Soho kind of ends, then maybe The White Horse or The John Snow? The Museum Tavern is right next to the British Museum and it's pretty nice in there. The Sun and 13 is another great pub, across the road from Alphabet which is a great bar right in the middle of Soho, though a little bit pricey if you want to start drinking tequila. Most of the pubs in soho are pretty good, it's very competitive around there. You can probably walk into just about anywhere and you will be fine. And if not then just walk across the street to the next pub. If you find a Sam Smith then they will sell you a pint for £3, which is pretty good these days. Wouldn't recommend the vodka though, it gives pretty brutal hangovers.

If you head down to Brixton (Dunno why you would, but you never know) then the Electric Ballroom is a tidy little bar with good beer, dunno what the food is like but it looks nice at least. Grand Union is just down the road as well, they have a really nice outdoor area which is all Thai beach huts with heat lamps in them.

The Assembly House is pretty great, up in Kentish Town, that's where they host Barcraft during GSL/MLG weekends. Uh.... Bonds, over on Bond Street is OK though it tends to fill up with bidniss men after 5. TBH unless I know what sort of area you are going to be in then most of this information probably isn't going to be of any use. London is pretty big, dude!

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Stay away from chain restaurant as you will just get bog standard food. I studied in two years for London so got to eat and drink all over the place. Here are some of my picks.

Indian food - Aladin on Brick Lane (Nearest tube station - Aldgate East) Amazing and very authentic Indian food, very reasonable prices.

Italian - River Cafe (Nearest tube station - Hammersmith) Incredibly high standard of food, pricey but worth a visit, very famous.

Pizza - Neils Yard Piazzetta (Nearest tube station - Covent Garden) Wood burning stove, pizza in 4 minute, best ingredients.

Burger and Steak - Goodman Steak (Nearest tube station - Bank) Stunning meat, cooked well, Burger is fucking amazing.

Bar - Lockside Lounge (Nearest tube station - Camden) Awesome riverside bar, good cocktails, chilled atmosphere, good music.

Thats all I can be bothered to write at the moment but that will get you started!

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By thomasnash

@saxmusician20: If you guys like meat, then go to one of these: http://www.rodiziorico.com/

Great food, and a bit of theatrics to it (they bring the meat round on massive skewers, last time I was there it was all you can eat for £30 I think. You'd have to book though, it gets crazy busy. Incidentally, the pub in your first post has an absolutely horrible/amazing "Sherlock Holmes' study" upstairs, complete with a hideous legless Sherlock Holmes. Otherwise it's not a great pub, but not the worst I've been to.

The Snooty Fox (near the highbury and islington tube station) is a good pub.

That's about all the recommendations I can give you I'm afraid.