College Help!

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IcySandman

It's my senior year, I gotta start applying to colleges...I can't go out of state (Which instate would be Georgia)  and can't decide where to go.. 

List of possible colleges:  UGA, Tech, KSU, GSU, GCSU.

I took trips to KSU and UGA, and I like KSU much more because: 
It feels more at home. 
My friends who gave me a tour gave more rationale reasons to why they chose it over UGA 
Social environment felt more fitting.  
The people were much friendlier than any other college I've visited
 Founders of the UGA music program left to KSU. 

All of that aside, my parents don't care where I go as long as I get a degree.  My brother would prefer I go to UGA than KSU (And he goes to Tech!) 

KSU would be my preferably college for those reasons, but what would be a better place?  Or is it fine to choose this?  My thoughts on possible majors are music, criminal justice, environmental science, biology.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Daniel
@IcySandman: Sounds like you're already decided on KSU ;) 

They've got the music program, and the social environment is huge, so if you liked that vibe then go for it.
DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DriveupLife

I don't really care where you go.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By VisariLoyalist

go to UC Berkeley XD

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehexeditor

Based on what you stated in your post, I recommend you attend Toukyou Daigaku  (東京大学) aka University of Tokyo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

books scare me

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By sagesebas
@DriveupLife: this
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

go to where ever you want to go. try the first semester :)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By crusader8463

What ever one lets you live at home and save a metric ton on rent every month. If non are around your house then that's what day tours are for. Walk around campus, talk to the teachers you will have if you go there and don't forget to take some time and walk around the town near the school and see what that's like too. Find one that you like the best and pray you are not about to waste 2-4 years of your life and get in debt.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Malakhii
@crusader8463 said:
" What ever one lets you live at home and save a metric ton on rent every month. If non are around your house then that's what day tours are for. Walk around campus, talk to the teachers you will have if you go there and don't forget to take some time and walk around the town near the school and see what that's like too. Find one that you like the best and pray you are not about to waste 2-4 years of your life and get in debt. "
I'd say the opposite, get the fuck out of your parents house. Life is alot more fun out on your own. Other then that just go where you like its easy as that. You'll have fun and meet cool people almost everywhere, so just pick what you think suits you. You can aways transfer. 
dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dunderri
@Malakhii said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" What ever one lets you live at home and save a metric ton on rent every month. If non are around your house then that's what day tours are for. Walk around campus, talk to the teachers you will have if you go there and don't forget to take some time and walk around the town near the school and see what that's like too. Find one that you like the best and pray you are not about to waste 2-4 years of your life and get in debt. "
I'd say the opposite, get the fuck out of your parents house. Life is alot more fun out on your own. Other then that just go where you like its easy as that. You'll have fun and meet cool people almost everywhere, so just pick what you think suits you. You can aways transfer.  "
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Djeffers03
@sagesebas: Dude you're meant to quote :)
PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By PerryVandell

Go to a community college. You get your general education out of the way for a significantly lower price than it would be at a state or private college. That usually takes about two years to complete, which should give you enough time to figure out what you want to major in while saving yourself a small fortune. Also, most community colleges have great transfer options that allow you to get priority when transferring to a new school.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By MMkain
@Malakhii said:

" @crusader8463 said:

I'd say the opposite, get the fuck out of your parents house. Life is alot more fun out on your own. Other then that just go where you like its easy as that. You'll have fun and meet cool people almost everywhere, so just pick what you think suits you. You can aways transfer.  "
Until your broke and got 20,000K + debt because your job doesn't pull in enough to pay for food, rent, and tuition. If you can get a free ride for a couple of years at your parents place and can stand it, then staying at home is a great way to minimize that student debt which would otherwise be with you long after the good times at college have passed.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
@Malakhii said:
" @crusader8463 said:
That's very short sighted. Yes you may have more "fun" living on your own, but you will have a lot less fun when you need to spend 1/4 of your paycheck for the first 5-10 years of life after schooling to pay back what you spent during that time. If you are fresh from high school then you are already used to living at home. Stay there two more years, then when school is over, and if you're lucky enough to get a job when you are out, you will get more of your paycheck to spend on having real fun. Life's too short to waste so much of it paying off debt because you couldn't wait a few years to live on your own.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

Go to the place you love.  Trust me, don't get stuck at a place you end up not liking/hating/wishing you were somewhere else.

It seems like you like KSU a lot more than any of the other schools.  Go there and be happy.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IcySandman
@crusader8463 said:

" @Malakhii said:

" @crusader8463 said:

That's very short sighted. Yes you may have more "fun" living on your own, but you will have a lot less fun when you need to spend 1/4 of your paycheck for the first 5-10 years of life after schooling to pay back what you spent during that time. If you are fresh from high school then you are already used to living at home. Stay there two more years, then when school is over, and if you're lucky enough to get a job when you are out, you will get more of your paycheck to spend on having real fun. Life's too short to waste so much of it paying off debt because you couldn't wait a few years to live on your own. "  

All of my friends who live at their parents house and go to college are miserable I have to say.....not only is college for getting an education but it's for networking and finding new friends, which all of them still hang out with High School kids rather than friends in college.  If I were to compare one at home student to a dorm student, the at home's always on Steam every time I get on, the at dorm is tagged in a whole album of pictures on Facebook looking quite happy.  There's only two that living at home would be viable enough to do, but they aren't on the list so no worries. 

@MMkain said:

" @Malakhii said:

" @crusader8463 said:

Until your broke and got 20,000K + debt because your job doesn't pull in enough to pay for food, rent, and tuition. If you can get a free ride for a couple of years at your parents place and can stand it, then staying at home is a great way to minimize that student debt which would otherwise be with you long after the good times at college have passed. "
Hope scholarship covers tuition in Georgia, just have to maintain a 3.0 gpa. 

I'm going to GCSU tomorrow to see how it is, some people tell me it's better than KSU so we'll see....my brother says that I shouldn't judge a college by size, but than again KSU has 20,000 students, 3rd largest in GA, I wouldn't assume that's small.
Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Junkerman

Your going to let complete strangers influence one of the most important decisions in your life?  Kay...

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IcySandman
@Junkerman: I'm getting suggestions, not letting someone decide.  I'm choosing in the end of it, not them.  Edit: +  This isn't the only place I've gotten advice from.  I have friends in most of the colleges, but I thought an opinion from someone else would be nice. 

I've figured it out myself, know the colleges now, it's all up to what I want to major in.  Thanks for the help guys.  (FYI KSU doesn't have as much majors as GCSU that I'm interested in, so it's changed!) 

Mods feel free to lock.