Corrupt Drive and missing drivers in XP

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

After a series of incidents, my F drive went corrupt and all my drivers went missing.
Ok, here's the problem that started yesterday night-
First of all I was happily playing Oblivion, when i thought of downloading morrowind music so that i could play that in oblivion for an extended playlist. I went and downloaded it into the F: drive(maybe not the smartest step)

1. Before i could test the files, my sister came along and asked me to transfer some files into her USB pen drive. But the computer failed to recognize any removable storage device had been plugged in.  My sister said that the pen drive could have some virus which escaped the anti-viruses, so instead she wrote them on a cd.

2. So then i went to test my morrowind files, but none of the players, first realplayer, then WMP, then VLC, could play nor respond. I couldn't even close them from the task manager. So I just transfered the files into the oblivion folder, but back in oblivion, all the volume bars had been turned all the way down. I turned them up, but sound would still not play.
All this indicated a problem with the sound drivers, but i just restarted hoiping that things would sort themselves out.

3. So when i restarted, the windows came back with a resolution of 640X480 instead of the usual 1440X900.(video driver dead). Also the explorer wouldn't load up. Even through the task manager's new task, it would say that explorer.exe doesn't exist. So i was just left staring at the wallpaper. I restarted with safe mode, but it wouldn't load up.

4. I luckily had another copy of windows, take it as windows B, (and the first one as A) which esily loaded up the explorer. Through it, i went to F: drive, which they said was corrupt and unreadable! aagh! I tried system restore, but it was turned off! So i checked the device manager, only to discover this-

5. All my hardware that required drivers- Nvidia, audio & game controllers, USB , Ethernet etc.  Had exclamation marks on them! Inside the driver error was some code 39.

6. so i restarted again with windows B, and this time i let diskcheck run, which checked F drive and started reformatting or somethin g (as my sis told me)  but it was stuck on the same line - inserting index $0 in something. I rerestarted, and skipped disk check on F, but let it run on C.  It recovered a lot of orphaned files, which looked good, and XP B loaded up.

7. I went to the F: drive, and it opened, but still said used space about 29gb. So i formatted it by right clicking on it, but it only went a little lower. So windows on windows B(sp2) was usable, but i needed windows A(sp3). But when i started windows a, the situation was same- no explorer, nothing i can do.

8. ok, maybe all that is fixable, but happened to ALL MY DRIVERS!? Why does it feel that morrowind files or the USB pen drive brought viruses along with them?

I may have missed out some details but i think this post is longer than most would prefer. Sorry for the extra details but i didn't wanna leave anything out.  
hope you can help.. im going for a holiday after about a day so speedy responses would be appreciated :)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Reinstall Windows 7 or buy a Mac.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By armaan8014

i need my files n windows u know..
plus the drive n drivers are dead.. i need a proper solution for that before i start over.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By maxszy
PCHelpForum.com the best place to get good, reliable, efficient and free tech support. People know what they are talking about there and answer you fairly quickly.

Not doubting the ability of people on here to solve your issues, but PCHelpForum is great. I've gone there numerous times and always have come away with an answer/solution.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By armaan8014

thanx ill try that

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By armaan8014

hey since i have not received any reply on that site yet, this place is still  open for answers