CRC ERROR Killing my PC gaming.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Funzzo

Hi, I am having a big problem with my PC. First here are the specs.

Asus crosshair 2 formula mobo with current chipsets and etc.
4gigs of sli ready ocz 1066 ram
amd 5000+ duel core
320 gig for windows
1TB storage both drives are sata 3.0
750 watt power
Nvidia 295 GPU(BFG Tech)

Ok here is my problem.  When ever I try to install a game from disk I get a CRC error.  I looked into it and everyone says its the disk or the disk drive that is the cause of my problem.  In this case the game is new and has been tested on 2 other computers and the drive has also been tested on 2 other computers.  If anyone can Help me fix this problem please let me know.  Also the mobo is set to default settings and nothing is over clocked. The onboard video is disabled. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

When do you get the CRC error?  Can you transfer other files from your disk drive to HDD and back without those files being corrupted (use parity files or CRC checks or something).

edit : It could also be your RAM or HDD I guess.  Run Memtest86 for your RAM.  Maybe run some kind of scandisk to check your HDD's integrity (if files are being copied to your HDD then read, this is where the problem could crop up).

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Funzzo

I can transfer the disk to my HDD but I still get the crc error when I install from HDD.  The disk I am doing now is GRID it is brand new from game stop this morning.  I also tested 5 other games all get the crc error when installing.  I am going to try one last time. Also both drives have been checked for error and are in working order.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
Funzzo said:
I can transfer the disk to my HDD but I still get the crc error when I install from HDD.  ... [more]
Is it always the same exact file for each of the specific games giving you the problem or does it change?  Like movie.bik for GRID, graphix.bin for Game X...?

Is your DVD drive on the same SATA bus as the HDD (just checking it isn't SCSI or something)?

I would recommend running memtest if you haven't already as well, maybe mess around with the dual core affinity or disable one of your cores to see if the installer stops giving fits.
Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Funzzo

It is different each time for all games. My satas are setup the way they should be.  I just tried to install from HDD and got this message CRC error: the file...........does not match the file in the setups .cab file the medium from which you are running may be corupt.  Different file everytime same crc error message. Also i am using xp64

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Diamond
Funzzo said:
It is different each time for all games. My satas are setup the way they should be.  I just tried ... [more]
I guess in theory the 64-bit OS could be giving problems.  I doubt it's dual core related though because for newer games they should have that sorted, or you'd be hearing a LOT about it.

The fact that it's different each time makes me think HDD or memory error though.  How new is the PC?  Have you had any major crashing problems?  Definitely check your RAM with memtest86 if you just built the PC, but it could still be a problem that just cropped up.

In case you don't know, cab files can be thought of a bit like zip files.  Odds are when the files are being extracted and written to the HDD, at some point they're becoming corrupted.  If the cab had been corrupted when you copied it to the HDD you'd get the same error each time unless it ran into additional errors.
Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funzzo

I built from parts all new. nothing older then 8 months.  Thanks for your help I will run memtest and try to pinpoint this huge problem.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond
Funzzo said:
I built from parts all new. nothing older then 8 months.  Thanks for your help I will run memtest and ... [more]
RAM can be bad when you get it, or it may have problems with your mobo.  Not just a wear and tear issue.
Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funzzo

I have tested all of my hardware and it is fine. It must be a driver issue.  Does anyone know if the ATK0110 ACPI utility driver not being up to date could cause a CRC error?  I got this driver from asus it being an asus utility.  I ran driver agent to check my drivers and it says that my ATK0110 driver is out of date and that it can install a better one. I would think that asus.com would have the best drivers for their stuff.  I am using 1043.5.0.0  1/21/2008.  Also driver agent said my soundmax integrated HD driver was out of date and I know its not.  also i cant use driver agent to install the drivers because I am not paying 30 bucks for drivers.