Deciding on whether I should change my career?

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chobobot

Hi, I am currently in a dilemma at the moment whether I should change my career. I am currently working in search-engine optimization as an account manager and have been for 2 years now and I don't feel satisfied about the work anymore.

I am 24 years old and looking for something more creative and less marketing-focused. I have been looking looking at various courses available at the university I attended and found a course on Film Editing in Final Cut Pro which I thought was right up my alley.

Anyways, I just wanted peoples opinions on this and whether its a right move to move into video editing?

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ask your family and friends dude

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I, and nobody on the internet, can tell you what the right decision for your life is. You choose. If you're looking to do something more creative, try out several things in your free time before loading yourself up with course work.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take the course, see if you like it! What (besides money) do you have to lose? You'll never know until you try.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wish I had a career.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the middle of a career change right now, from engineering to law. Best move of my life, from a position I tolerated into a profession I actually find really interesting and enjoyable. I'd strongly advise you to make a move if you're having issues with your current career.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My advice would be to seek out people already working in the profession you are considering for yourself and ask them any questions you might have. See what it is actually like before you study.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why don't you just keep your job and use it as a financial base while you dabble in video?

The thing about video is that getting a degree for it doesn't mean much in terms of jobs but getting a great portfolio does. There's almost no barrier to entry if you want to get into video and there are so many online resources that can teach you so much.

binhoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the creative industries need and want you.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep your job and dabble in things. With all things creative, your portfolio is your resume. The more things you do, the bigger, and more important, the more varied your portfolio. If your old university doesn't have a motion picture/video program that fits your work schedule, find another school that does - check your local community college, perhaps.

Does your film-editing course have a pre-req?

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

Keep your job and dabble in things. With all things creative, your portfolio is your resume. The more things you do, the bigger, and more important, the more varied your portfolio. If your old university doesn't have a motion picture/video program that fits your work schedule, find another school that does - check your local community college, perhaps.

Does your film-editing course have a pre-req?

Forgot to mention that I will be doing this course while I still work since it starts in the evenings and there are no pre-req to join the 10-week course.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

If your heart's not in the work you do, I think you should totally pursue other things you ARE interested in. Don't lock yourself down to one career path at 24 if it's not something you really want.

Just make sure you can eat, have a roof over your head, not completely self-combust from stress, stuff like that.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do it. Especially now since your still young. It's alot harder to change carrers when you're older and have kids.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I dropped out of college after four years of my Computer Engineering degree (at UT Austin, the #8 best CE school in the US (I believe they were ranked 3/6 when I was there but I could be wrong)) because I realized I hadn't enjoyed anything I had done in the last 3 years. The major just wasn't for me.

I've been happier working a near-minimum wage job for the last year than I ever was in college. I'm a firm believer of the "I'd rather make $35k doing something I enjoy than make $85k doing something I hate" mantra.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dropped out of college after four years of my Computer Engineering degree (at UT Austin, the #8 best CE school in the US (I believe they were ranked 3/6 when I was there but I could be wrong)) because I realized I hadn't enjoyed anything I had done in the last 3 years. The major just wasn't for me.

I've been happier working a near-minimum wage job for the last year than I ever was in college. I'm a firm believer of the "I'd rather make $35k doing something I enjoy than make $85k doing something I hate" mantra.

Yep, I follow a similar mantra. Money has never been a big factor for me, as long as I have a roof over my head, I can pay the bills and have enough money for clothes and video-games I'm happy as a sand boy.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thomasnash

If you really think you want to switch it up do it now, would be my advice. Barring those occasional eureka moments, it's not going to get any easier down the line.