Delicious foods you may not have eaten!

skittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By skittles

I've been inspired to create this thread by the delicious dinner I'm currently eating. It's just a regular fried chicken breast and salad combination, but to spice things up a bit I asked the local chef (my father) to add some Halloumi.  Now I don't know if Halloumi is as uncommonly heard of as I think it is, or if the people I've mentioned it to are in the minority, but I haven't met many people who have tried it.  Apologies if the Giant Bomb community happen to be the biggest collection of Halloumi enthusiasts on the internet and you've all already heard of this magical food.

Taken from wikipedia :
Halloumi or haloumi is a traditional Cypriot cheese that is also popular in the rest of the Middle East and Greece, and is now made the world over. It is made from a mixture of goat's and sheep milk, although some halloumi can be bought that also contains cow's milk. It has a high melting point, and so can easily be fried or grilled. Halloumi is set with rennet, and is unusual in that no acid or acid-producing bacterium is used in its preparation.      

OK. Now you know it's a cheese, it's made from goat and sheep's milk, and it's commonly fried or grilled. Has that got your interest? Maybe. Will what I have to say about it entice you more? Possibly.

Have you ever wished you could eat a rubber? (eraser for you folks in the colonies) Not those dodgy hard pink ones on the ends of pencils, or the rough and tough half grey half white ones, I'm taking about the all-white, bendy soft ones that slowly split in half as you bend it back over itself. "Yes!" you cry? Well you're in luck, because that's just what Halloumi is like. Once you've fried a slice of this bad boy up, it feels just like a big ol' chunk of rubber, just waiting for you to sink your teeth into it.  

Speaking of teeth, the texture of the cheese is unlike anything I've tried before. You know that squeaking sound you can make when your teeth are super clean and you rub your finger over one back and forth? It goes squeak squeak squeak right? Like when you're squeegee'ing a window. That's exactly the feeling you get when you eat Halloumi! It even goes "squeak squeak squeak" in your mouth when you're chewing it. It's unreal.  

As for the flavor, it's pretty bombastic to say the least. It's mad salty, but also surprisingly creamy for such a firm cheese. I actually just ate the last piece, so that's where I'll end my story. I'll leave you with a picture though. Please feel free to share any amazing foods you've tried that people may not be aware of!

No Caption Provided

See that fried gold on top of the salad? That ain't no chicken dawg, that's Halloumi.  

Peace.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

I like food that tastes good.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien

I've totally had this at a Greek restaurant before and I have to say you describe it perfectly, which is actually how I remembered eating it.  Also it is preeeety tasty.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Red12b

Ollie Bollen,

Dutch delicacy, stands for Oil balls,

Take fruitcake mix (The dough is made from flour, eggs, yeast, some salt, milk, baking powder and usually sultanas, currants, raisins and sometimes apple pieces and zest, In some family recipes beer is added to the dough)  
Take a fist shaped portion of the dough and put it in a deep fryer, take the dough out when it is golden, The dough needs time to rise for at least an hour. Olie bollen are usually served with powdered sugar

awesome.

skittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By skittles

You know... I'm pretty sure they sell them down at the Saturday Markets here, in this dutch bakery stall they've got going on every week. Generally I just head down, pick myself up a pork bratwurst with german mustard, and a ginger beer. Maybe next time I'll save some room for one of those. 

Thanks for the heads up!

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By lil_cheeks

Black Beans and Rice, its a Cuban must have at every family gathering.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Oh god, I feel so sorry for anyone who has never tasted Döner. 

Not what some might consider "Kebap" or what is sold in other countries under the same name, no. The proper, cheap, mutated german version of Döner. Oh god. You have no idea.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By rjayb89

I remember the first time I ate a cannoli.  I should've gotten more.

skittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By skittles
@rjayb89: Oh man, that's on my list of things to try. I'm not sure there's anywhere in my state that would do good cannoli. I'll have to try it next time I'm in Melbourne.
Broitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Broitman

beer battered gator nuggets, the restaurant I used to work at made them and they are delicious, other than that the only thing I can think of that was special was a panchetta bacon sandwich I made once that was easily the greatest thing I've ever eaten but panchetta isn't that unusual just delicious.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Chicken Shawarma. Cut up seasoned chicken topped with a lemon dill greek yogurt served on a warm pita. I highly recommend trying one.

It's so good.
 It's so good.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_A_Drain
@rjayb89 said:
" I remember the first time I ate a cannoli.  I should've gotten more. "
I have always wondered WTF a cannoli even is, some kind of pastry apparently? 

I love me some Humous, I can dip anything in that stuff it's so good.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By rjayb89
@The_A_Drain: I'll admit I only sought the cannoli when the staff were feasting upon them during a bombcast. And when I finally found them, I thought they looked like rolled-up tacos filled with an unhealthy amount of cream cheese.  They were tasty nonetheless. 

Dude, cannolis.
 Dude, cannolis.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
@rjayb89: Ohh man. Kinda want. 

Hear about them all the damned time in american TV shows (especially ones that are even remotely connected to anything Italian) but never knew wtf one was until now :P Thanks dude.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Meowayne: I got a 'doner' for Döners! 

Also @OP: That cheese sounds totally jacked up, I am going to find some and try it. Although I don't usually care for really salty cheeses, I am really into squeaky sounds.
Alsoalso, rubbers.. lol! condoms.
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mshaw006

I'm not sure how you got so invested in spreading awareness of Halloumi, but I'd try it right now if it was in front of me. Seconding doners, shawarma and kebabs. Delicious. I'd like to add Tirokafteri, a Greek spicy cheese dip that you can get at pretty much every restaurant in Greece. If you like spicy food, cheesy stuff, and dips, you'd probably love it. 

T1R0K4FT3R1 
T1R0K4FT3R1 
Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chicken heart skewers, beef tongue, and fried cartilage.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/20/food/fo-find20

God Torihei is delicious.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Ramyun

I had some snake once and that was pretty dope.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne
@Linkyshinks said:
"Your eating lamb offal with fat and a few ground up bones for texture "
Man.... I know.  But nothing I have tried so far (including shish kebab) has even come close to the awesomeness of a cheap, disgusting Döner. I don't know whether they sell the same stuff in the UK; as far as I am aware, what I know as "Döner", although stuff with that name is sold all over the place, is only produced for Germany, Austria and Switzerland. 

But that might have changed. 
thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thegoldencat7

The limits of my food experimentation is trying new flavours of crisps.
Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PediatricUrology

They taste like fishy chicken. They're great.
Don't worry, those legs are extremely dead, but salt is such a good conductor of electricity that any residual charge gets amplified, and since frogs are basically legs with mouths there's a lot of power in them.

And then there's also crawdad, but I don't like to eat them because you boil them while they're still alive. I don't mind massive animal holocausts, but kill them humanely.
Jesaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jesaya
@Meowayne said:
" Oh god, I feel so sorry for anyone who has never tasted Döner. 

Not what some might consider "Kebap" or what is sold in other countries under the same name, no. The proper, cheap, mutated german version of Döner. Oh god. You have no idea.

"
I did taste that in Germany.

Its amazing.
raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raegunz_

if you like cannoli... you NEED to try a Napoleon. holy. motherofGod. dare i say, a screaming orgasm for your mouth. shit.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Brians
No Caption Provided
I could say I'd try it and all. But no i probably wouldn't any fans of Durians here though?
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brians

I do have a tasty food recommendation  Bulgogi a Korean dish.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Cube

Donairs are still the greatest food ever. 

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Briguile said:
" I do have a style of food I tried that was good a Korean dish called Bulgogi. That was good stuff. "
Slices of marinated beef is an unusual food?
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brians
@DarknessMyOldFriend:  It is if you don't live near Korean restaurants, and are not yourself Korean.