Do you ever feel like there is too much content out there?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I tend to get this feeling when I am trying to find something to do where I cant decide because there are too many options. For example I am over 700 episodes of podcasts in the hole(thats 1005 hours of podcasts). my Hulu q gets ten pages long at times. There is a pile of games I want to play but don't have time for. I mean WTF would this be like if you had a kid? you would never have time to do anything. And this is all shit I do by myself not including things I want to do with other people like party, hang out, go bowling, wrench, ect.

I wish there were a way I could put these decisions in something else's hands. some program that will tell me what to do/watch/play and not let me do anything other than what it decides. I mean this crap is so damn overwhelming I just end up here posting this.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of like how I often spend more time browsing through Netflix than actually watching anything.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

The effect that the infinite choice of media will have on our brains is fucking ridiculous, and we'll slowly realise just how much it's changing human psychology as we go forward.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

@mcghee said:

Kind of like how I often spend more time browsing through Netflix than actually watching anything.

YUP, I feel that way about videogames too.

@tylea002 said:

The effect that the infinite choice of media will have on our brains is fucking ridiculous, and we'll slowly realise just how much it's changing human psychology as we go forward.

I really wish I had less choices. I remember when I was a kid and I had a manageable number of options, Play outside, play with legos, or play one of my 6 SNES games.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Nope. No matter how much new stuff there is around me i always gravitate towards the same few games/movies/tv show. I have no problem replaying and rewatching the same stuff over and over again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

INFINITE ENTERTAINMENT. What a very "first world" problem to have.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

INFINITE ENTERTAINMENT. What a very "first world" problem to have.

Not denying that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm content with the amount of content.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mcghee said:

Goddamnit, this is the worst of diseases.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

It's pretty much the ultimate first world problem but yeah, totally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that feel OP. There are times when I browse through Netflix, looking for something to watch, and by the time I find something I'm too burned out by content overload to actually watch it.

I generally try to not let it get on top of me though. I'm a firm believer in Sturgeon's Law which helps me ignore the vast majority of stuff out there.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever you start having too many shows to watch/games to play/books to read or what have you just raise your standards a bit and try to become more critical in how you approach such things. That said I enjoy professional sports quite a bit and that strategy doesn't really work there since you're already dealing with the highest level.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's nuts man. Especially being old enough to have grown up with like two TV channels and having to put aside three hours just to get down to the arcade and back for a few games of Street Fighter. It takes a little time to get used to but you need to just accept that there is always something you aren't doing. The flip-side of that coin is there's always something new to discover. Do you have 700 podcasts to catch up on? Or do you have a huge library of great stuff to listen to next time you're in the engine bay of your Zed?

Don't turn something that you're supposed to enjoy into work, you'll never watch everything on Hulu. And you shouldn't try to, it's alright, we're the first people in history to be this spoilt, everyone's still figuring it out. Pick a number, pour a beer/soda/coffee/chocolate milk and watch whatever comes in at that number on your queue. Then sit back and enjoy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Absolutely. Should I try to press through Metro 2033 and get my ass kicked repeatedly or play They Bleed Pixels and get my ass kicked repeatedly? I really need to beat my huge backlog of games. Should I watch those movies I recorded or watch the hundreds of movies/shows on HBOGO/Netflix? I need to finish my book but I want to watch this Quick Look and The Endurance Run.

And that's ignoring actual life stuff......

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ah yes, good old choice paralysis. Too much of a good thing can leave you unable to pick what to go for.

I've just had to understand that there are some games/movies/books/whatever that it's going to take me ages to get to, especially with the dearth of spare time that I have right now. It means having to be really choosy with what I go for, although it tends to mean that I can wait to find what's good before throwing myself into any old thing. Still sucks when I have to let something go for months on end, though.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By reckless_x

@tylea002 said:

THIS. So much this. I've noticed it in myself. I have trouble even watching a movie these days without having something else like forums or facebook occupying my brain at the same time.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#17 gamer_152  Moderator

I pretty regularly have the feeling that I wish there was more time for me to consume all the content, but damn, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as too much content for me. I love the fact that no matter how much I may watch, play, read, and listen, that there's always going to be a variety of good content out there for me to consume.