Does anyone else here paint miniatures?

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have just recently brought a few miniatures (some games workshop and a few others) and have really enjoyed my time painting them and I was wondering if anyone was into this wonderful hobby!?

Below is one of the first that I painted:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I had a two disasters before that one and one where I'm happy with parts of it. This is definitely the best one I've painted so far though. However, I'd love any constructive feedback or comments. My thoughts are that its not in traditional Space Marine colours (not worried as I'm just starting out and learning techniques) and that the paint is a little heavy in some places, the base also needs sorting. I'm hoping that I'll be able to look back on it and wonder how I was ever this terrible but its a good starting point.

If you have some miniatures your really pleased with then post them, always good to get inspiration!

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Rigas

I used to paint Model planes years ago, but kinda fell out of it. I occasion get a hankering to try some miniatures, but haven't pulled the trigger on it. Those look great btw.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I paint D&D-style miniatures, badly. I have recently gotten into painting miniature terrain. I find it less frustrating, less tiny details. And really I have plenty of prepainted plastic minis to use for gaming.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravelle

I do when I have the patience and time available! But I sorta stopped because it's stupid expensive and they stopped bringing out cool Orks and went on with their dumb War figure line with daemons and stuff.

No Caption Provided
hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By hinderk

I've playing Warmachine/Hordes for about 2 years and have a decent collection of miniatures. I've only just really started painting my models though. In the past I would start painting and get frustrated with how bad I was and just stop. I'm still a pretty bad painter but I've learned to just paint and not worry about it. Anyway here are some of the models that I have painted so far. They aren't great, but at least they look better than just playing with unpainted models.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I painted and played Warhammer Fantasy for years, but over the last 6 months my group fell apart and Games Workshop more or less blew it up. Started painting WMH with my sister but it didn't stick. Trying my hand at some digital art, see if I can use what I learned from miniatures in a different, though related, medium.

For a while I kept a Tumblr/Flickr thing going, to try and keep some sense of structure/have a record of what I painted and when I did it. Personal motivation more than anything else.

This link goes to the Flickr page. Two embedded images below are probably what I spent the most time on/am most proud of, though the gaming table is pretty high up there for me too.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CheapPoison

HAven't painted anything significant in a while.

I really want to, but I want to do a really big elaborate model. And those are really expensive. I have also thought about picking up some small bits from Infinity to paint. But I probably won't end up playing that so in the end it seems like a waste.

I will also mainly rep Warmachine and hordes as the guy above me. Although I had warhammer that I got rid off. Now I only have a few models that are close to my heart left from warhammer.

Might want to throw some minis up here that I done, but that is gonna take work and at the end of the day I am sure there really isn't much interest in what I have done!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thatpinguino  Staff

I used to, but I gave up my Necrons long ago. I was never a great painter, but there was a comforting aspect to the craft in it. I kind of miss them now.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do gundam models count?

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CheapPoison
@murgatroyd said:

I painted and played Warhammer Fantasy for years, but over the last 6 months my group fell apart and Games Workshop more or less blew it up.

Ow man! Did they ever!

Also, some pretty solid work there.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zelyre

@murgatroyd:Have you looked into Kings of War? A few guys I know who played Warhammer Fantasy are currently looking at moving over to that. Pretty sure you can use your Games workshop range with it.

@travisrex: I'd like to see your Gundam models. I used to build them in high school. One of the professors here on campus has the ones he's put together in his office. I was never into Gundam the anime, but I love the mechs.

Some of my painted minis. I've moved away from table top games in favor of board games, since my girlfriend enjoys them quite a bit. Been working on painting up Shadows of Brimstone and Descent, and once that's done, I'll get started on some Kingdom Death stuff.

Space Marines and their metal box!
Space Marines and their metal box!
Some 40k. The Space Elves... er... Eldar!
Some 40k. The Space Elves... er... Eldar!
A Forgeworld Dreadnaught
A Forgeworld Dreadnaught
A space marine in terminator armor
A space marine in terminator armor
Eldar Warlock/Seers
Eldar Warlock/Seers
Warmachine Cryx - Skarre
Warmachine Cryx - Skarre
Warmachine Cryx - Epic Skarre
Warmachine Cryx - Epic Skarre

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mjhwwbg

There is some seriously amazing work being showcased! Thanks, its great to get all of the inspiration.

@travisrex I'd be interested to see Gundam! I'm finding that I get a lot out of looking at a variety of different figures.

@jaycrockett Interesting you should mention that. I'm considering picking up a bunch of shipping containers at a miniatures show I'm going to this weekend so I can try paining them!

Also, for those interested this guys YouTube has been pretty great https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaintingClinic/videos

Finally, for those mentioning the costs, I totally agree, WH in particular is stupid expensive. However, you can pick up some pretty great deals if you're willing to shop around. I found a small little model shop that sold 10 reasonable figures for just over £3. They have been great for trying stuff out on.

At some point i'll take some pictures of the figures that went wrong, then we can learn from my mistakes!

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjhwwbg said:

Finally, for those mentioning the costs, I totally agree, WH in particular is stupid expensive. However, you can pick up some pretty great deals if you're willing to shop around.

Especially now! It is terrible in a way but there were ton of people who were blowing out their collections out of disgust and disappointment what happened with warhammer in the past year.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Harpell
No Caption Provided

I love miniatures! I wish I had more time for it. I've been running a D20 Modern game lately that I'm heavily basing on the whole "war economy" concept from MGS4. These are a few of the merc guys I've been painting for that. Seems like 28mm scale prepainted "modern" figures just don't exist, so I've been buying appropriate looking models and painting them as I can. Haven't gotten around to painting the M1 Abrams here, vehicles always seem like such a huge project.

I also have a pretty sizable Tau Empire army for 40K that I haven't touched in some time, and a few fantasy minis I've painted up, but I don't have any pics at the moment.

PS: Ignore the jacked up window blinds in the background...and apologies for the lame phone pic

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that's your 3rd model then you are doing amazingly. I've never been that good a painter but I love the hobby. I have a Skaven force (rip WHFB), a Tau cadre and now a Flames of War British Parachute Company which is just a joy to play.

I DM the pnps for my friends so I have loads of assorted models although lately we've been playing a Star Wars rpg of which there is a dearth of models.

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Murgatroyd
@murgatroyd said:

I painted and played Warhammer Fantasy for years, but over the last 6 months my group fell apart and Games Workshop more or less blew it up.

Ow man! Did they ever!

Also, some pretty solid work there.

Thanks!

@zelyre said:

@murgatroyd:Have you looked into Kings of War? A few guys I know who played Warhammer Fantasy are currently looking at moving over to that. Pretty sure you can use your Games workshop range with it.

I've played a couple games of KoW. Neat, somewhat barebones, but still neat. Half of the problem is the group, though. We tended to be sort of insular, I guess. I think we've moved on. We had been playing less and less, even before all the GW stuff happened.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Nice work guys. I got into 40k for a bit and had fun messing with models and modifying them but painting them was so fucking hard for me. Plus yeah it's expensive.

Also: what has happened with Warhammer and Games Workshop? I can see their company is declining... just because of price and demand or?

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played and painted a lot back in the day, primarily WHFB, but also smaller niche games, and reaper minis on the side. I got out a few years ago due to GW fucking over Australia and how shitty 8th ed was. I tooled around with other games (el dorado, warmahordes but I didn't like any of them).

There was a point I was "pretty good" at painting. I don't have any easy to find pics but maybe ill look later

Nice work guys. I got into 40k for a bit and had fun messing with models and modifying them but painting them was so fucking hard for me. Plus yeah it's expensive.

Also: what has happened with Warhammer and Games Workshop? I can see their company is declining... just because of price and demand or?

They keep fucking up their rules, this crossed with constantly increasing prices and an complete disregard for their customers and marketing is eroding the player base which in turn means less of those kids they rely on so much are getting exposed......and eventually someone else buys the IP.

I mean jesus there is finally a Warhammer Total War on the horizon and they cancel Warhammer, which you would think might get people talking about the game again, I mean what the fuck GW.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninnanuam: Oh damn didn't even realize they canned the fantasy game. Yeah maybe some videogame company will buy the IP outright at some point here. Seems like that's where the life is with the brands they made.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Corvak

I have never been the best at painting, probably why I got into Gundams instead. Closest I get is topcoating and thats just a spray. That and I just really love giant robots.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zelyre

@artisanbreads: People don't seem to like the replacement for Warhammer Fantasy. The rules are kind of rubbish, as they kind of boil down to "Put whatever you want on the table, as long as your opponent thinks its okay."

I lived near a Battle Bunker. It was a -huge- store that took up two large storefronts. They ran events all the time and constantly packed the place. All the larger stores are gone, replaced by one man operations. It used to feel like a friendly local game shop where you could play and shop in a relaxed environment. Now? You'll find less pressure from a used car lot than you will in one of those little GW shops.

Games workshop stuff has just gotten silly expensive, too. Landraiders were pricey at $50 when I was playing. Now, they're within spitting distance of $100. Individual characters are in the $30 range. I went into a GW shop a few weeks ago out of curiosity. "Hey, these Dire Avengers are still $40 for a box? That's about what I used to pay for a squad of 10." Then I read the box contents. "Contains enough parts to create five dire avengers." Well, I put that box down and walked out of the store as fast as my legs could carry me.

The codex creep was one thing. We were fine with owning several armies and updating them as new books came out, but we all just got priced out of the game. And everyone in my gaming group is well off, with disposable income. I really don't understand how Games Workshop attracts new players nowadays.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yes I do! 40k/30k

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Yeah I see what you're saying there. I mean just at some point they are plastic models! You can't possibly justify the pricing to me. That's why I quit. So I understand even in my very limited experience. I sympathize with the fans.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CheapPoison

@artisanbreads:
@zelyre said:

The codex creep was one thing. We were fine with owning several armies and updating them as new books came out, but we all just got priced out of the game. And everyone in my gaming group is well off, with disposable income. I really don't understand how Games Workshop attracts new players nowadays.

Actually, they kind of don't anymore. A very rough indication from their sales figure says they are maintaining the same income but with less and less units sold. One could assume from that that it is their core that still buys from the higher price cause they are locked in. Or at least more people leaving then joining from year to year. But they have been at this for years, up to the point that some people speculated afew years ago that they were looking to monetize their ip more and get away from models.

Some people argue that with age of sigmar they got away for atleast making rules and just models. But that is just a desperate attempt to get new people into the game. Start a game with less bloat, a rule system you can teach in 10 minutes, and allow people to play with what they want (or in other words with whatever their small collection or random collection of models might be.)

It is a valiant try, and they try and adress some good issues. They kinda just miss the mark.

A shame, cause theri models are still excellent. But having to shell down 80 for one of their bigger kits that end up just being one model with bits is also just a bit too much. There is no rules tinkering that will over come that.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never have but I have some dnd ones my dad painted when he was a kid and I used em when I played dnd with my friends in high school.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zelyre

@mjhwwbg: I like your minis. Very clean and an awesome job for one of your early minis. There are some players who are very strict on the silly lore of 40k. "Oh, your dark angels aren't green? Are they pre-Herecy? No, they can't be, they're wearing MKVII armor." I'd avoid players like that! I think the majority if players will appreciate the fact that you've painted your minis. The edge highlighting you've done is nice. A lot of folks edge highlight their marines and it ends up looking like Tron-Marines.

You want to play Blood Angels but painted them blue because that's your favorite color? I'd say cool with most folk. The only thing that really matters is that your models are "what you see is what you get". If you say your squad has a flame thrower, a model in that squad should have a flame thrower weapon.

As for painting, devlan mud wash is your friend. Get a pot and try putting it on everything. For metallic paints, I like to give them a wash of watered down ink.

For regiment painting, I'd prime black and work in an assembly line. Put green paint down and paint five models with that color green then move on to white and paint all five models with white, etc. I also like to paint darker up to lighter. So, for green, I'd start off with a very dark green and work my way up to the lighter green I actually wanted. Brighter colors don't coat as well and if you prime black, whites look chunky, streaky, and ugly if you don't put on a grey first.

Until you get familiar with the hobby aspect, I'd avoid metal and resin models. They have much more detail to them. They're also much harder to prep and assemble.

If you ever get a resin model, wear a mask when sanding it. You don't want to breath that stuff in.

Wash your unpainted models in some warm soapy water. There's release agent on them that sometimes doesn't play nice with paint. Once dry, spray on a light layer of primer. I use krylon. Don't use the primer for plastics. They stick well, but it eats the detail. The GW primer (at least at the time) was just black spray paint. A $10 can of black spray paint. Don't buy their primer.

You'll want to seal your painted models, as the paint will rub off with use. GW sealer used to fog up horribly. Don't buy their sealer. Use testor's gloss, then once it's dry, use testor's matte.

Don't spray in extreme heat or cold. Don't spray if the humidity's high. It'll cause your primer to go on rough or cause your clear coat sealer to fog up.

If your clear coat sealer fogs up, let it dry and then try resealing on a better day. I've heard olive oil rubs work too.

If you need to strip a model of its paint, drop it in some Simple Green for a day or two. Then, use an old toothbrush to rub the paint off. It won't harm your models.

I greatly prefer dropper bottles of paint over pots. You get more control over how much paint you use and they don't dry up. The nozzle may clog, but a paperclip will fix that fast.

Don't buy your hobby stuff from GW. Those pro-snips that are shaped like a orc's power claw that scream WAAAGH everytime you use them? You can get much better snips that don't look like a power claw for a third of the price at Hobby Lobby.

All those extra pieces you get with your models? Keep them. Put them somewhere safe. Then, flip them on ebay or trade them.

For eyes, get a Sakura pen with the smallest point you can get. Avoid putting the eyeball in the dead center of the eye.

I like to glue a penny to the bottom of my 40k figures. It helps them from tipping over on sloped terrain. Also, coming from the metal era, the weight feels more comfortable and it felt better knowing this three dollar model the size of my thumb had some heft to it.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Thanks so much! That's a whole lot of awesome advice. I'm going through and buying paints and hobby stuff now so its all really helpful. I really like the tip of the penny in the base! Its going to make them feel much better. I'm in it mainly for the painting rather than playing but the feel still matters to me.

The best piece of advice I could offer would probably be glueing the model to something for painting. It will help so much and keep your hands out of the way for those hard to reach bits. I use the cardboard tubes receipts come on.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I hadn't paid any attention to the miniatures in perhaps 15 years, so checking out the Games Workshop website's selection and prices absolutely breaks my heart. I remember prices being bad back in the early '00s but shit man, it's gotten out of control.

It makes me appreciate this random ass indie skirmish game "Fairy Meat" I got into briefly that much more. They sold little pewter figures for the game, but the rulebook also came with a bunch of pages of model stand-ins that you could copy and cut out if you didn't want to pay for/couldn't afford them. It also had little sets of wings that you could cut out and "stick to your orks or whatever if you want to use those instead".

The figures were the same size as other wargame miniatures, but instead of being 1:5 or 1:12 or 1:100 scale, they were classified as 1:1 scale, since fairies were tiny. And because of that scale, they encouraged not worrying about building model terrain and pretending it's a battlefield. They recommended instead just throwing books and clothes and crap onto the ground and saying "This is where we'll fight." Man, that game had heart.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came back to 40k recently after having been out since I was much younger. There are a handful of little things that bug me (Sisters seem dead, rulebook art style has moved away from the staggering Third edition stuff) but I'm mostly pleased with the way things have developed, rules-wise. I've been following the Horus Heresy book series since that started, but the thing that really roped me back in to actual modelling/playing was the addition of Adeptus Mechanicus as a proper faction.

My Camera's not great, but that's what I have that's actually painted. The Knight was jumping the gun a bit, but I couldn't resist. I adore the model so much.

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ex and I used to paint my Tau army together. But ever since we broke up 5 years ago and also because my wife dosen't enjoy the process, it has become way too expensive for me to do it alone. Also, my job doesn't pay all that well so I can't really afford new figurines. But I really loved how methodical and precise the whole process was. I guess it seved as some kind of therapy to me.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: I'm working on achieving higher levels of detail in the miniatures I'm painting and was wondering how you achieved the finer details - for example the scroll work on the "A space marine in terminator armor"

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My boyfriend was big into Warhammer for a while but I don't think he has the patience for it any more, he still does some airfix every now and then but he has over 300 unbuilt kits and he tells me having such a "stash" is normal for model builders???

No Caption Provided

These are only from the past week O_O

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjhwwbg:I use sakura micro pens and kolinsky size 0000 brushes for that sort of detail work. I also find those sakura pens great for dotting eyes.

@lisatiffany: I have a really large stash of models, board games, and minis that are still in their packages. It really doesn't help that most shops have a buy over $100 and get some sort of discount program going on...

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lisatiffany: I used to have a lot of Warhammer models sitting in boxes, like a few armies worth.

I friend of mine had so many unbuilt kits he had all his stuff in an offsite storage room.

So yes its "normal" for a given value of normal. But at some point you realise you are never gonna work through it all and sell most of it.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LisaTiffany

I found some snaps of some models I built and painted, mostly tanks because he doesn't seem to do anything with those :)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

And the last one -

The paint kind of turned into a nightmare but I made it fast and stuck it into the display cabinet to see how long it would take until he noticed it - 5 minutes.

No Caption Provided

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The paint kind of turned into a nightmare

No Caption Provided

The best kind of nightmare!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing quite a bit of Kingdom Death: Monster, so I decided to start putting some paint on our miniatures!

First two survivors. They've done the most bad-ass deeds, and therefore got models made of themselves.
First two survivors. They've done the most bad-ass deeds, and therefore got models made of themselves.
Facing off against the white lion. His hands are fleshy colored, as they're supposed to be human-esque hands.
Facing off against the white lion. His hands are fleshy colored, as they're supposed to be human-esque hands.
The screaming antelope. He'll eat your survivors with his stomach-mouth...
The screaming antelope. He'll eat your survivors with his stomach-mouth...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Horus lupercal and friends

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon: Are those 30k miniatures from the Horus Heresy game? If so, are they actual multi-part models? Or are they the snap together type that you see in the other 40k starter sets like Dark Vengeance? Do you happen to know if its the same plastic as actual Warhammer minis? I remember Dark Vengeance and the set before it (Ultra vs Orks) had plastic that felt very soft.

Love the super-heavies. We never got around to fielding them before we stopped playing 40k. :( They looked like dumb fun.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@big_jon: Are those 30k miniatures from the Horus Heresy game? If so, are they actual multi-part models? Or are they the snap together type that you see in the other 40k starter sets like Dark Vengeance? Do you happen to know if its the same plastic as actual Warhammer minis? I remember Dark Vengeance and the set before it (Ultra vs Orks) had plastic that felt very soft.

Love the super-heavies. We never got around to fielding them before we stopped playing 40k. :( They looked like dumb fun.

All of this stuff is actual forge world, but the plastics from betrayal at Calth are real miniatures, not snap together besides the Dread they are GW plastic. I actually stopped 40k few years ago and switched over to 30k, never been happier, way more balanced, way more themed, way more fun.

This is everything I have painted so far which is about half of my total force.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon: Awesome work. Thanks for sharing it. I'm probably going to end up ~$200 poorer this week! I've dipped my toe into some Forge World models, but never actually ended up fielding them with FW rules.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Cool man, it's an amazing kit, the value is insane. to be clear though, the rules that come with the box aren't actually the 30k rules. But if you ever want to see the actual 30k rules, hit me up and I can share all the PDFs with you.